Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 AM

332 posts, read 645,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
do miss going to movies in the black part of town, it was a very different experience.
I actually want to hear what the actors in the movie are saying, so I do not enjoy my experience at the movies when there are too many Black people there talking loud.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 AM

88,873 posts, read 85,346,109 times
[quote=tongpa-nyi;13519888]That's for sure. If the OP is talking about race then it's absurd. Culture is what matters here. Africans with identical ancestry to African-Americans are far more subdued in behavior. If you watch how an African immigrant behaves around African-Americans, it's usually awkward and they don't relate very well. I've noticed that most Africans tend to get along better with white people than they do with people of their own race here in the States.

The behavioral differences are purely cultural, nothing to do with race.[/quote]

Exactly. And they do exist, although it would be foolish to make assumptions in advance as to how a member of a culture is going to behave.

One area where I've heard of cultural differences is from nurses who deliver babies. In general, they will tell you that Asian women barely let out a peep during childbirth, while Puerto Rican women are already screaming their heads off in the early stages of labor.

Now I'm pretty sure there are Asian women who cry in pain as well as stoic Puerto Rican women. But there's enough of this anecdotal evidence to make me think there is something to it.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 AM

88,873 posts, read 85,346,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
A lot of things are cultural; there have been many studies on this. An amazing one is the culture of honor first coming from old Ireland and Scotland and settling in the South.

Here is a great report about it.

gladwell dot com - harlan kentucky
Thanks for posting that. I just read Malcolm Gladwell's Blink and it is fascinating.

I read another article a few years back tying the Scot "warrior" culture to the South. The article pointed out a disproportionate number of US Generals who have been of Scots descent. Even more interesting was that the descriptions written down by the British of the blood-curdling scream that the Scots let out as they bore down on them with pitchforks and other farm implements during the "Braveheart" times are nearly identifical to the descriptions of the rebel yell written down by Union Soldiers during the Civil War.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,015,574 times
I think our consensus is that these observations are culturally induced.
What bothers me is that some people don't get the 'lay of the land' and just continue their noisy manner in an environment of more subdued people.

I don't think it is wrong to be noisy at all times, I just think people should make an attempt to blend with the landscape and 'do what the Romans do'.

Americans sometimes get a bad reputation while vacationing overseas, forgetting that they are not at a carnival, but at a location which other people live in. I was really surprised when our local librarian, a very soft spoken and intelligent person, said her group drinks and 'breaks loose' in a noisy way in Europe. Gee!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,242,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks for posting that. I just read Malcolm Gladwell's Blink and it is fascinating.

I read another article a few years back tying the Scot "warrior" culture to the South. The article pointed out a disproportionate number of US Generals who have been of Scots descent. Even more interesting was that the descriptions written down by the British of the blood-curdling scream that the Scots let out as they bore down on them with pitchforks and other farm implements during the "Braveheart" times are nearly identifical to the descriptions of the rebel yell written down by Union Soldiers during the Civil War.
I just listened to Blink last week, it was great. I love all his books.

It is amazing what hundreds of years of culture can do. I hope I never hear that yell.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:20 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,000,067 times
I think its more how a person was raised rather than a group. But hey its fun to stereotype.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,359,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
It is possible that over eons that people of certain areas of the world ate certain foods, this then altered their body chemistry over time, and this contributed to certain factors of behavior. Of coure climate is a major factor, but food is another contributor as to why certain groups have small differences when compared to others. Yes, some of this is cultural, but much more of it is biological than some people here are capable of handling discussing in this forum.
I would like to see some facts that support this hypothesis.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 AM

7,733 posts, read 12,662,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I would like to see some facts that support this hypothesis.
Well don't you find it funny how Hispanic or Latino culture, they are known for their quick tempers? It's been widely known Hispanics/Latinos can pop off at the drop of a dime. I attribute that to all that spicy and hot food that comes from Mexico and South America. Not to mention the prolonged exposure to the hot weather. I believe these things contribute to human cultures.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,260,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well don't you find it funny how Hispanic or Latino culture, they are known for their quick tempers? It's been widely known Hispanics/Latinos can pop off at the drop of a dime. I attribute that to all that spicy and hot food that comes from Mexico and South America. Not to mention the prolonged exposure to the hot weather. I believe these things contribute to human cultures.
Traditional Hispanic cultures are also known for being very full of machismo. It's very important for the menfolk to appear strong and masculine. So they are quick to react in situations questioning their dominance and maleness. Some of that posturing is just a bluff mechanism. They are also a very territorial culture and are not subtle about what they feel is theirs. And men and women alike see being passionate as being strong in an emotional way.

Traditional Asian cultures are very different. They value order and discipline, and keeping their emotions in check. They will be quiet and polite on the outside, but thinking something totally opposite inside. With many martial arts, it's about not letting your opponent know what strategy you are planning while trying to gauge his strengths and skills, and reading his body language. When reading Chinese horoscopes, there are two aspects, what the public sees and what the inner real traits a person has.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM

548 posts, read 1,254,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Traditional Hispanic cultures are also known for being very full of machismo. It's very important for the menfolk to appear strong and masculine. So they are quick to react in situations questioning their dominance and maleness. Some of that posturing is just a bluff mechanism. They are also a very territorial culture and are not subtle about what they feel is theirs. And men and women alike see being passionate as being strong in an emotional way.

Traditional Asian cultures are very different. They value order and discipline, and keeping their emotions in check. They will be quiet and polite on the outside, but thinking something totally opposite inside. With many martial arts, it's about not letting your opponent know what strategy you are planning while trying to gauge his strengths and skills, and reading his body language. When reading Chinese horoscopes, there are two aspects, what the public sees and what the inner real traits a person has.
Some Asian cultures. I know a lot of loud/animated Vietnamese and Koreans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates