Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
Lol. and which racial group do the majority of these people belong to?!
I don't know what race. They are all kind of pale and pasty looking. Jumpy little creatures. Not well adapted to the 21st century.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Strel: I don't think it's racial so much as environmental. How a person is conditioned in childhood to react to different stimuli, and what behavior is encouraged or prohibited, determines their views in adult life.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Strel: I don't think it's racial so much as environmental. How a person is conditioned in childhood to react to different stimuli, and what behavior is encouraged or prohibited, determines their views in adult life.
Of course, it's learned behavior.
At parties, some cultures enjoy a high sound level and some do not. Some enjoy being more crowed and stand closer to a person when they are having a conversation and some not.

Sometimes being aware of these things helps people to understand each other rather than take umbridge.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:33 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Forgive me for being less literate as the book readers in the world, or at least missing some brain cells but this thread brings to mind an interview I saw with a best-selling Asian-American author( author of the Joy Luck Club, perhaps). She mentioned a kinship or at least an understanding with African-Americans, Irish-Americans, and other groups that have a cultural tradition of believing in ghosts. She suggested that the acceptance of the supernatural had an effect on how people interacted with each other and viewed the world in general. Intriguing thought.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Forgive me for being less literate as the book readers in the world, or at least missing some brain cells but this thread brings to mind an interview I saw with a best-selling Asian-American author( author of the Joy Luck Club, perhaps). She mentioned a kinship or at least an understanding with African-Americans, Irish-Americans, and other groups that have a cultural tradition of believing in ghosts. She suggested that the acceptance of the supernatural had an effect on how people interacted with each other and viewed the world in general. Intriguing thought.
Interesting thought. My Chicano in-laws all have at least one ghost story - always unverifiable of course, but they believe it all the same.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:04 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Klingons, and or Ramulans, (star trek) tend to be somewhat aggresive and easily agitated...
They are known for their tempers and great fighting skills...

Old 04-14-2010, 12:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I did read it and agree there can be some cultural influences.

However, I still disagree that you can claim to *know* how a person will behave based on their heritage. This study found a correlation in a small geographic area using a small number of people. Would that correclation stand up when applied to larger populations over larger areas? I don't know.

I just think anytime we start to assume we know a group of people based on our limited experiences with some we perceive belong to that group, nothing good results.

Well, I grew up in Sweden and we have a large population of immigrants from the Middle east and Turkey. I always remember thinking how load they were all the time. Whenever they talked arms were flying all over the place and it sounded like they were constantly arguing . But as I was thinking they really were about ready to punch each other, they started to laugh and hug each other instead.
So to me it is a cultural thing and it is generally the truth. In Sweden most of us are pretty reserved and don't like to make too much notice of our- self. I guess to an outsider we would seam kind of boring at first, until you get to know us, and then there is nothing more boring about us.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Furthermore, these kind of things make life interesting.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM

487 posts, read 636,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
That's for sure. If the OP is talking about race then it's absurd. Culture is what matters here. Africans with identical ancestry to African-Americans are far more subdued in behavior. If you watch how an African immigrant behaves around African-Americans, it's usually awkward and they don't relate very well. I've noticed that most Africans tend to get along better with white people than they do with people of their own race here in the States.

The behavioral differences are purely cultural, nothing to do with race.
Which "Africans" are you talking about? You're most likely referring to East African immigrants, and they comprise a different racial group then the African Americans who are mostly of West African heritage. For some reason white people think of "Africans" as encompassing one monolithic group of people. Africa is the most genetically diverse continent on the planet.

Last edited by dusk99; 04-14-2010 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM

487 posts, read 636,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Those are cultural differences and not racial differences.

Just look at the cultural differences amongst whites of euro decent in the US. Go to an amish community then go to Manhattan, South Beach etc.
How would you differentiate between racial and cultural differences? Just imagine, in a parallel universe, if racial differences did exist, wouldn't the result be cultural differences as well? Meaning its something that perpetuates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates