Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,468,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
^^I would guess so, I've heard horror stories about boarding schools.
Bullying can happen at any school. I think it's because kids are still learning what is okay, and at many schools they are allowed to interact with little adult supervision and guidance. IMO they're like little uncaged animals, but their teeth and claws aren't sharp enough, and they haven't discovered weapons. LOL

I really think kids need to be reared and educated at home, like the aristocracy did years ago. Realistically, most parents are glad school is there, because both parents usually have to work. Also, even if the kid is being bullied, how many parents can afford to move or switch schools?

And as I remember from when I was a kid, children aren't dumb. They know mom and dad have problems, so they usually try to keep issues like being bullied or harassed at school from their parents. Sadly, I don't think kids should have to deal with that alone, but I suspect a lot of them do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 05:18 PM

2,523 posts, read 3,079,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Bullying can happen at any school. I think it's because kids are still learning what is okay, and at many schools they are allowed to interact with little adult supervision and guidance. IMO they're like little uncaged animals, but their teeth and claws aren't sharp enough, and they haven't discovered weapons. LOL

I really think kids need to be reared and educated at home, like the aristocracy did years ago. Realistically, most parents are glad school is there, because both parents usually have to work. Also, even if the kid is being bullied, how many parents can afford to move or switch schools?

And as I remember from when I was a kid, children aren't dumb. They know mom and dad have problems, so they usually try to keep issues like being bullied or harassed at school from their parents. Sadly, I don't think kids should have to deal with that alone, but I suspect a lot of them do.

And unfortunately I do not think the education field attracts many for the right reasons, if a teacher where to be asked if they liked kids and where dedicated to the profession, what do you think they would say? "No, I got into it for the good salary, benefits, job security, summers off, and cushy retirement pension, I'm just doin my time till gold watch day"

I knew a teacher that went out and bought himself a brand new BMW on the day...His first class graduated? X amount of his students where in honors programs? Nope, it was the day he was tenured.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:20 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,117,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaomao View Post
Yeah, bullying has always existed, but it's certainly gotten more vicious now than it was when I was little, mostly because, I think, when a kid gets home and opens his email, or checks his facebook, he can be bombarded with absolutely hostile stuff from his classmates. When you feel like, even at home, kids can still bully you, then I think that causes really big problems because the kid feels like he has nowhere to escape the bullies.
I agree. Because of the internet, the bullying can be 24/7 365.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
The schools allow it today!!! There are so many legal hoops that the schools have to jump through in order to give each individual student 'equal' rights, and this in turn causes schools to do nothing and because their hands are tied. We left a school where my daughter was bullied by a girl in her class and because the girl was ED (Emotionally disabled) the school did nothing! This girl (mind you this was in the 2nd grade) threatened to "cut [my daughter's] throat open" and nothing was done. Then the following year, my daughter was put in a class with a boy who had molested (put his hands down the pants of a female student) a girl in the 2nd grade. We lived in a nice area too! When we moved to the area, I lived in what was conisidered the "nicer part of town" with the best school in the district, according to parents and test scores! When I brought these cases and several others to the attention of the school board, I was told that "every student has a right to learn in a public setting." Really? Even if my daughter is at risk? But according to them, yes! We had several friends who opted out of the public school system for their children and put them in private school for K-5.
So, back to the OP, the schools allow bad behavior which in turn, leaves the students and parents helpless!
What happened to your daughter is disturbing...it is even more disturbing that the school board did nothing about it.

I think the lack of discipline lets kids/teens do it without any worries. Bullying has always occurred, but without any fear of getting in trouble and the internet which allows bullying to occur 24/7 365, it is a bullies wonderland. I also think that parents play a much smaller role in the lives of their children.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,975,354 times
The news of a young girl killing herself because she was bullied is a problem that all of our society schools and towns have to take responsibility for. We are part of a human collection of people all of which act differently from one another for the most part. If we, individually or collectively ignore issues – then we become part of the failures of the country and nation.

Remember Columbine High School about ten years ago? Teens, teachers and administrators at the school failed the individuals in different ways of they’re reaching out to the two young teens who brought guns to school. A tragedy that sadly happened and we’ll never know if individuals simply interacting with the two boys could have prevented it.

Kids take their frustrations out just like some their adults that they see or hear on tv, radio and the movies. They act out adult behavior because they don’t know any better. Why then do we adults continue to allow these influences into their lives? If I listened to some of the radio talk shows on political views (one side or the other) depending on “what’s being said†will depend on how I might react in the days to follow.

If allowed to fester the propaganda of political talk can create militias like Hutaree where eight members became Christian warriors in Michigan. Part of the problem (with the boys) was that they were being schooled at home during the day and prayed together all night. One has to believe that the boys in this case were influenced directly by their parents and teachings. Other members were motivated with “hate†by the political propaganda on TV, radio and the news media propaganda, most of which is distorted and untruthful information.

IMO

Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 AM

929 posts, read 2,097,216 times
Default The bully's are among us and always have been.

It's all about power and stupidity.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 AM

181 posts, read 219,067 times
Bullying wouldn't happen except for the fact that we are a society in which some bully others. Many if not most people admire the bullies (if they aren't the ones being bullied), respect the act of bullying, read books about famous bullies who became Presidents, dictators, entertainers, CEOs and big businessmen, doctors, lawyers, mobsters, writers, social commentators, watch movies about the same type of bullies.

We are not a peaceful society where bullying rises spontaneously without any reason or encouragement for it.

If society shunned bullies then few kids, teens, adults, spouses, drivers, bosses would bully.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:05 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,041,222 times
Bullying has been around for millennia and is seen across all spectrums of society and cultures. It's part of the developmental process whereby kids learn to distinguish their place in society, push boundaries and test limits. It's also seen in adults, especially in workplaces.

A more important question is why as a society and as adults we allow bullying to go unpunished and unanswered. We have a responsibility to model good behaviour and educate out kids but also to call out adult bullies. The problem is when we moan and tut tut about how bad it is but do nothing about it.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:35 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
Peaking order. It just changes as they become adult to establish depending on their circumstance. The rich are basically accused of bullying by poor because they have to much of the money they think.Been going on since humans existed really just changed on how you get to top of order. Kids now days pick violence like they see and read about.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,892,167 times
I wonder what does cause it. I wasn't a bully and wasn't bullied. None of my kids bullies or has been bullied. Possibly picked on a time or two but nothing that constitutes bullying.

There are also pecking orders -- but kids can rise to the top and be viewed as leaders without having to pick on anyone.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:43 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,774,005 times
Schools don't care about bullying. That's the problem. They say they don't tolerate bullying, but when students complain, they just ignore it. When something serious happens, they punish the victim, successfully creating another bully out of a good student. Schools need to get to the bottom of bullying, and explain to all students that they should help each other and not ignore other students when they think something bad is going on in their life. If everyone just cared about each other, not just themselves, then there wouldn't be bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates