Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 PM

152 posts, read 117,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
"..Africa. Although slavery already existed in Africa, the status and relationship of African slaves to their African masters were very different from chattel slaves. Slaves in Africa were considered part of the extended family of their masters and held a status similar to children or wards. The function of indigenous African slavery was to increase the size of a family or clan rather than to perform labour or to serve as a material asset.."
Chattel slavery - Hutchinson encyclopedia article about Chattel slavery

"..Before the widespread establishment of chattel slavery (outright ownership of the slave, and of his/her descendants), much labor was organized under a system of bonded labor known as indentured servitude. This typically lasted for several years for white and black alike, and it was a means of using labor to pay the costs of transporting people to the colonies.[4] By the 18th century, slavery was racialized by courts and legislatures to apply nearly exclusively to Black Africans and people of African descent, and occasionally to Native Americans.."

Slavery did not start with white people and I do not believe knowledgeable people are implying that.

Your question is flawed in that it does not ask for the truth!!

A better question would be why did "Chattel" slavery begin with White People. If people look at the various forms of Slavery there is no way that a comparison can be made between chattel and other forms of slavery.
Chattel slavery is inherently evil in that is says that some are so inherently inferior than others that subjugation is their natural position and that those in bondage have never had nor we they ever possess the intellectual, moral, or cultural ability to assimilate into White society.

There was never the possibility to be accepted as equal or capable under chattel systems and the system itself only maintains it's ability to sustain itself through murder, torture, intimidation, rape, and the purposeful division of families in order to control the will and destroy the spirit of those under it's yoke.

No other people or nations on the face of the Earth instuted or propugated this form of slavery except the Europeans who came to this country seeking "freedom" for themselves.

Yes, all slavery is wrong but the American version is much worse than any other!!
No form of slavery was started by the U.S. except U.S. slavery, and it was NOT much words than any other. Trying being a Galley-Slave on a man of war powered by oars, chained to the ship.

Grow up and quite telling lies while trying to disgrace your own country. We are the finest, most just, most freedom loving-and freedom-enacting country there has ever been, and I am damn proud of her.

Consider yourself mortifed, called out and slapped down as the cur-dog your are.

MahiAhiOno Slapper-down of all America-haters and cur-dogs who dare lie about the greatest country in the Universe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,967,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Nice use of convenient ignorance.

Chattel Slavery did NOT begin with "white people." That is absurd. In addition, it continues to this day and has NOTHING to do with white people.

Stop being such a racist.

Chattel Slavery (http://www.brandeis.edu/projects/fse/Pages/chattelslavery.html - broken link)
Slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
StateMaster - Encyclopedia: Chattel slavery
Chattel Slavery in Sudan :: Daniel Pipes
Your inability to comprehend history and the various forms of slavery do not make me racist, better yet why don't you stop being ignorant!!!

The first website you mentions, in no way addresses the form of chattel slavery practiced in the south more than 200 years ago, it only states that it is the least prevalent form of slavery; maybe because the majority of those using it has traditionally been those areas of the Southern United States.

Your "Wiki" source also fails to list the distinction of chattel slavery, who practiced it and for what reason. Again you fail to intellectually answer or refute my statement.

Your "Nation Master" articles only furthers my original statement of where chattel slavery was being practiced, what else does it state that is in opposition to my statements?

Your last article speaks about chattel slavery in Sudan since the 1980"s. Again, no relevance to my statement, you have to do much better than this. Also stay on point, I never said that chattel slavery was not practiced in other areas of the world, I stated that Americans "began" the practice.

In order to make my statement incorrect simply post evidence that some other group of people used in en mass prior to two hundred years ago!!

Stop posting irrelevant articles, unless you really don't understand what I was saying!!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:55 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,736,559 times
Quote:
Your inability to comprehend history and the various forms of slavery do not make me racist, better yet why don't you stop being ignorant!!!

The first website you mentions, in no way addresses the form of chattel slavery practiced in the south more than 200 years ago, it only states that it is the least prevalent form of slavery; maybe because the majority of those using it has traditionally been those areas of the Southern United States.

Your "Wiki" source also fails to list the distinction of chattel slavery, who practiced it and for what reason. Again you fail to intellectually answer or refute my statement.

Your "Nation Master" articles only furthers my original statement of where chattel slavery was being practiced, what else does it state that is in opposition to my statements?

Your last article speaks about chattel slavery in Sudan since the 1980"s. Again, no relevance to my statement, you have to do much better than this. Also stay on point, I never said that chattel slavery was not practiced in other areas of the world, I stated that Americans "began" the practice.

In order to make my statement incorrect simply post evidence that some other group of people used in en mass prior to two hundred years ago!!

Stop posting irrelevant articles, unless you really don't understand what I was saying!!
Hahahaha! Too funny.

Let me state it in terms that even a silly racist can understand: The idea that white people are responsible for chattel slavery is straight-up stupid.

If you were actually able to read, you'd know that.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM

No form of slavery was started by the U.S. except U.S. slavery, and it was NOT much words than any other. Trying being a Galley-Slave on a man of war powered by oars, chained to the ship.

Grow up and quite telling lies while trying to disgrace your own country. We are the finest, most just, most freedom loving-and freedom-enacting country there has ever been, and I am damn proud of her.

Consider yourself mortifed, called out and slapped down as the cur-dog your are.

MahiAhiOno Slapper-down of all America-haters and cur-dogs who dare lie about the greatest country in the Universe

I see you wear your Dunce Hat with pride!!

Stop screaming like a hysterical girl, and list a lie that I have told??

WE may NOW be a freedom loving country but this country went to war in large part because many of it's people refused to abolish chattel slavery towards Black People and even after imposed both legal and illegal means to maintain an institution of involuntary servitude in this country!!

Why would you get on here and argue nonsense, how old are you??

The rest of your post doesn't deserve a use of energy to address it, go do something constructive.

Again, so that it's clear. Post any information on any group of people prior to American Chattel Slavery that used this form of slavery in the numbers that rival America's!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha! Too funny.

Let me state it in terms that even a silly racist can understand: The idea that white people are responsible for chattel slavery is straight-up stupid.

If you were actually able to read, you'd know that.
I understand you have to attempt insults because you can't prove what you stated!! Don't worry we both know you can't prove your statements!!

Please stop the silly posts, include something that's relevant.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I understand you have to attempt insults because you can't prove what you stated!! Don't worry we both know you can't prove your statements!!

Please stop the silly posts, include something that's relevant.
I already included what was relevant, and what proved your asinine claims false.

You simply chose not to read it.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I already included what was relevant, and what proved your asinine claims false.

You simply chose not to read it.
I read what you attempted to cloud the issue with, again it absolutely failed to disprove that American historically were the first to practice chattel slavery on a mass level.

Stop dodging reality, go to ANY of the articles you posted and past a passage that addresses the statement I made and disproves it on any point.

Until you can do that stop with the silly insults, that proves nothing except your inability to prove what you say!!

Chattel slavery involves outright ownership of the slave by a master, but there are forms of partial slavery where an individual is tied to the land, or to another person, by legal obligations, as in serfdom or indentured labour. Historically there have been two basic types of chattel slave. Domestic or house slaves performed menial household duties for their masters and were often counted as a measure of status. Productive or field slaves, who usually held a lower status, worked to produce marketable goods; the African-American slaves who laboured on the American plantations of the 17th–19th century are an example.
http://encyclopedia.farlex.com/Chattel+slavery

Old 04-04-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I read what you attempted to cloud the issue with, again it absolutely failed to disprove that American historically were the first to practice chattel slavery on a mass level.

Stop dodging reality, go to ANY of the articles you posted and past a passage that addresses the statement I made and disproves it on any point.

Until you can do that stop with the silly insults, that proves nothing except your inability to prove what you say!!
Sheesh... Slavery is known to have existed in China from the 18th - 12th Centuries BC, during the Shang Dynasty.

You can call it whatever you like.

Since you seem unable to admit your error, go ahead and start reading on page 143 of this article. The structure of slavery in Indian ... - Google Books

Old 04-04-2010, 10:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,019,830 times
So basically what we have is anyone who question's the OP's post, offers other similar questions that are actually related though the OP deems them not, or offers up evidence contrarty to the OP's view can just do this:

YouTube - Klavan On The Culture

Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Sheesh... Slavery is known to have existed in China from the 18th - 12th Centuries BC, during the Shang Dynasty.

You can call it whatever you like.

Since you seem unable to admit your error, go ahead and start reading on page 143 of this article. The structure of slavery in Indian ... - Google Books
Can you comprehend what you post, you post articles that destroy your own arguments!!

Just stop, just leave it alone...you are totally destroying yourself!!!

Did you read your article where it states that ..Chattel slavery NEVER played an major role in the Chinese economy!!!

How about your own article once again contradicting you, where it states..Moreover slaves in China CANNOT BE DEFINED in the classical Western sense of Chattel!!!

Your article goes on to state that the term "slave" is also synonymous with debtor,dependent,or subject.

Sorry three strikes you are out!!!

Nothing more to discuss with you, facts don't sway you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates