Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
I have noticed that throughout the United States, many Asians that have lived in this country their whole lives, have perfect American accents. Many other groups still have a little something you can pick up on when they talk, but not Japenese, Koreans, Chinese, etc. The ones that have lived and grown up in the US have nice, just about perfect speaking voices when compared to other groups. Why?
That's because most East Asians are highly educated. DUH.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I find American somewhat closer to the typical English accents you hear in Asia, so I wonder what an American accent with Asian inflection sounds like? Here in Australia it's easier to tell. Btw, it's not only those who are born in a country, but also many who came at a very young age. I came to Australia when I was a baby and I don't have any hint of so-called 'Asian' accent.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
That's because most East Asians are highly educated. DUH.
The rich ones who go to the West. Obviously in China etc that's not the case.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
My family emigrated to the States when i was 12 yrs old. I don't have an Asian accent anymore. Of course, i've lived here for quite some time now. I think i lost my Asian accent a few years after learning English. At least that is what my parents have told me.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I think the majority of East Asians are probably at least 3rd/4th generation Americans. There is no reason for them to have an accent. Probably few of them even speak their families native language at home.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I find American somewhat closer to the typical English accents you hear in Asia, so I wonder what an American accent with Asian inflection sounds like? Here in Australia it's easier to tell. Btw, it's not only those who are born in a country, but also many who came at a very young age. I came to Australia when I was a baby and I don't have any hint of so-called 'Asian' accent.
Does your accent sound like this?

YouTube - Asian Australian in US dilemma

Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 AM

He doesn't sound 100% Aussie, actually, my accent is more like the typical Aussie accent you would hear (not as strong as some of the stereotypes) among most people here.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:23 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
It's not politically correct to say so, but some groups of people value assimilation and fitting in, more than others.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I'm surprised that this thread is still active! I'd like to add that most Chinese people value doing well academically, and they don't admire popular culture to the point of mimicking it. My mother was adamant that her children know how to speak proper English and speaking slang at the dinner table wasn't tolerated. My younger Chinese and Korean friends who were born in the US speak perfect English in work and other formal situations. But in some social situations, they will talk with a bit of ghetto lingo.

I do agree with my parents that if one wants to succeed at life, it's very important to know how to speak and communicate well with others. And having proper English skills has helped me get hired over those that speak poorly and with heavy ethnic accents or a lot of slang or ebonics thrown in. Companies do care very much about how their employees represent them to their customers and the general public.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My mother was adamant that her children know how to speak proper English and speaking slang at the dinner table wasn't tolerated. My younger Chinese and Korean friends who were born in the US speak perfect English in work and other formal situations.
This is very much the Asian-American immigrants' experience. Asia itself faces many of the same issues faced by native born (say third generation and onwards) Americans -- tons of slang, acting stupid or at least nonchalant is "cool," etc.

Also, far more highly educated Asians immigrated to the US the past generation than in the past, when many came as labourers, farmers, or workers in lower value chain service industries. Their offspring, often affluent, do speak with crystal clear accents and tones that reflect their higher education and upper class upbringing.

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates