Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times

Advertisements

You can take this one step further. Why do some asians who moved to the US when they were children, not have an accent? I know several european and asian immigrants who speak english as a second language and don't have an accent.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
I have noticed that throughout the United States, many Asians that have lived in this country their whole lives, have perfect American accents. Many other groups still have a little something you can pick up on when they talk, but not Japenese, Koreans, Chinese, etc. The ones that have lived and grown up in the US have nice, just about perfect speaking voices when compared to other groups. Why?
I know plenty of Latinos, Croations, Russians, Somalis, Arabs, Iranians and who knows from where else who have perfect American accents and have been raised here their whole lives here too. I don't think Asians are particularly special in that regard.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM

74 posts, read 294,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I know plenty of Latinos, Croations, Russians, Somalis, Arabs, Iranians and who knows from where else who have perfect American accents and have been raised here their whole lives here too. I don't think Asians are particularly special in that regard.
Asians, for the most part, just speak with an American English accent, that sounds better than most people from these places. I don't know exactly why this is so, but it's the way it is. It probably has something to do with the fact that they have higher iq's on average. People may not like this stat but it's just the way it is.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 PM

640 posts, read 1,731,954 times
Quote:
I have noticed that throughout the United States, many Asians that have lived in this country their whole lives, have perfect American accents. Many other groups still have a little something you can pick up on when they talk, but not Japenese, Koreans, Chinese, etc. The ones that have lived and grown up in the US have nice, just about perfect speaking voices when compared to other groups. Why?
What was the intent of asking this question?

Quote:
Asians, for the most part, just speak with an American English accent, that sounds better than most people from these places. I don't know exactly why this is so, but it's the way it is. It probably has something to do with the fact that they have higher iq's on average. People may not like this stat but it's just the way it is.
Ahhhh....now I see.

That was just too easy. NEXT!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post

Ahhhh....now I see.

I am just talking about the facts. Please leave emotions out.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM

324 posts, read 573,545 times
facts101, you have it completely wrong! Any person from any part of the world is going to have a very american accent if they grew and live in North America! Don't you even doubt it.
My 2 kids have a very american accent, though they were born in Europe. And I'm not claiming the above because of my kids.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
facts101, you have it completely wrong! Any person from any part of the world is going to have a very american accent if they grew and live in North America! Don't you even doubt it.
My 2 kids have a very american accent, though they were born in Europe. And I'm not claiming the above because of my kids.
You are not understanding this correctly. There are several accents in the US. For some reason Asians tend to have an accent that is difficult to tell what part of the US they live in. This is not every Asian but most than any other group. Asians do tend to have higher iq's than most people from other parts of the world. I don't know why this is exactly but this is also true. Of course not all have higher iq's, but on average they do. It does not make me a bad person for thinking that being smart just might make sense as to why they don't pick up on regonal accents.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:54 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueseas123 View Post

Ahhhh....now I see.

Yep. I knew where this was going right after "compared to other groups".

Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM

324 posts, read 573,545 times
Quote:
You are not understanding this correctly. There are several accents in the US. For some reason Asians tend to have an accent that is difficult to tell what part of the US they live in. This is not every Asian but most than any other group. Asians do tend to have higher iq's than most people from other parts of the world. I don't know why this is exactly but this is also true. Of course not all have higher iq's, but on average they do. It does not make me a bad person for thinking that being smart just might make sense as to why they don't pick up on regonal accents.
OK, I see where you are comming from. Well, perhaps kids with higher IQ are more prone to speak proper (no regional accent) english.
While I agree, that east asians are in general intelligent and well behaved kids, I would imagine also kids from noneastern Asia, and with higher IQ could do the same.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Yep. I knew where this was going right after "other groups".
This kind of insucurity is disappointing. Just how is this going after other groups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates