Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times

Advertisements

well i'm white, but having grown up in California with lots of Azn friends & classmates (including at UCLA), it's undeniable that many Asian-Americans have a distinct inflection in their tone & cadence to their speaking that stands apart from their Caucasian or Hispanic or Black peers. To say they don't is being naive & unappreciative of the differences in our various cultures.

My ex-gf who's Chinese American said she could easily tell she was talking with another Azn on the phone, and many times she or the other party would say at the end of the convo "I thought you were Asian by the sound of your voice."

And as for regional accents, I've got a Cambodian/Laotian coworker who speaks with a hybrid Azn/Southern accent. And working in Manhattan, i've met many Azn ppl who've had thick Long Island, New Yaaawk and New Jersey accents. Everyone-whether you're White, Azn, Black, Hispanic-is a product of their culture & their surroundings, and it's the way it is.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM

122 posts, read 330,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
He's talking about regional accents within the US. He is saying Asians tend to speak perfect or standrad English as opposed to having certain accents. Why is that insulting? His question isn't dumb, your reaction to it is.
the op is not necessarily talking about regional accents. he is talking about why asian americans dont have a certain way of talking that characterizes them as asian american. and no, my reaction to this question is legit because the op is almost implying that asian americans SHOULD have an accent. he almost seems to be saying, wow, asian americans sound just like white americans, i cant believe it! well, no shyt, we were born here and have interacted with white people our entire lives, and we are assimilated in white culture (most of us). what else to expect? and you know, it's an insult to the other minorities too. it's like asking them, why the hell cant you talk like white americans if the asian americans can? and really, most of the other non-asian minorities who were born here sound white too, for that matter.

perhaps im being hot-headed, but i cant help it. these kinds of questions really **** off a good number of asian americans because of the implication that it's freakin' amazing how american they are. yes, just because we have smaller eyes and black hair and yellowish skin, it doesnt mean we dont live and talk the exact same way that white people do. we were born here too. get over it.

and for that matter, some asian americans who were born here DO have a way of talking that is not completely "white". there's a certain cadence to their words that other asian-americans can recognize immediately as AzN. but obviously most of us do not talk like that. there ya go.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
If anyone lives in the US their entire life, what accent do you think they'd have? Doesn't matter what accent your parents have, it's school and your social life where you learn your accent.
When I was growing up in California, I had a slight southern accent because my mom was from the South.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:04 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
What about half-Asians? Do they speak with half of an accent?
That's funny! But you made me remember something. I used to know a woman from work--didn't work directly with her so I didn't see her everyday, friend of a friend. I did not know for a long time that she was half-Chinese. It wasn't immediately apparent when you looked at her, and she had her father's Irish last name. There was always something about the way she spoke, however, that made me curious. It wasn't an accent, but the way she spoke reminded me of something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Once I learned that her mom was from China, I realized that her speech and the tone of her voice were influenced by her mother's first language and that had been what I was hearing and couldn't figure out.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,760 times
All these people posting borderline racist comments are sheltered fools with little brain capacity and an inability to think outside of the box and actually see things for what they are.
The reason is simple.

Immigrant communities are usually poor.

Asians are the wealthiest group in America (even moreso than Whites)

So they live in non immigrant neighborhoods. They live around mostly white people and a few wealthy latinos and blacks (who also don't have accents for the most part).

Most Latinos keep an accent because they live and work and go to church in almost all Latino communities which are poor, some live in neighborhoods that a mix of black, and latino, but the 2 groups don't hang out as much as would be nice.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
I have noticed that throughout the United States, many Asians that have lived in this country their whole lives, have perfect American accents. Many other groups still have a little something you can pick up on when they talk, but not Japenese, Koreans, Chinese, etc. The ones that have lived and grown up in the US have nice, just about perfect speaking voices when compared to other groups. Why?
Do you have anything that supports this besides "I have noticed"?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,885 times
I guess it could be the tones in the English language. More often than not, American-born Asians who speak English as their second language, were taught to speak their cultural language first.

As you may or may not know, Asian languages have a tendency to have more tones in their language compared to English (which is considered a non-tonal language). Which is why Asian-Americans are able to mask their accent well due to their ability to adapt to the lack of tones in the English language, as they already have enough practice speaking their own Asian language.

Being Chinese who speaks Cantonese, which has 6-9 tones (depending who you are asking), it is quite easy for me to switch from 6-9 tones to no tones as you don't need to fluctuate the sounds to say an English word. I do quite well with Latin-based languages, but for some strange reason, I can't say words that require you to roll your tongue.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times
Not all Asian Americans are foreign-born. There are Americans of Asian descent that have ancestry that dates back to the 1800's and 1900's, so their ancestors have been Americanized throughout those years, and therefore the descendants have American accents.

I hope this is the correct answer.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,474,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Not all Asian Americans are foreign-born. There are Americans of Asian descent that have ancestry that dates back to the 1800's and 1900's, so their ancestors have been Americanized throughout those years, and therefore the descendants have American accents.

I hope this is the correct answer.
Absolutely. Just like Mexican American and other cultures. They've been Americanized and lived in this country their whole lives. The older generation of their family might have an accent depending on when they came to this country but the young generation is Americanized.

My grandmother didn't learn English until 28 y.o. and she had an American accent.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
I'm Asian and I certainly don't have the perfect American accent. It annoys me when people point that out because it sounds like I'm not good enough to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates