Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But without that information, how would the state or a traffic officer know if you were the person certified to drive? A certificate with no identifying information is worthless.
There is a name and a DOB, and a signature, which an officer can ask you to replicate on a piece of paper. Why do you think that is an insurmountable problem of critical urgency that can be resolved only by requiring people to regularly report their place of resident to the authorities? And so what if every once in a while, a ringer who never took Driver Ed is out driving around in a motorcar and falling through the cracks. If you make a rule that all drivers need to know how to drive, I feel safe if 99% know the rule and comply voluntarily. It's not necessary to violate everybody's right to freedom of movement and privacy and honor to squeeze out the last shred of non-compliance by people who don't want to have an accident in the first place so will exercise prudence even if they aren't good drivers.

Enforcement of ordinary regulatory statutes does not need to be so draconian and nazi that everybody has to forfeit their dignity and privacy in order to keep us all constantly under the thumbs of the brown shirts. But we all know now that the reason for up-to-date addresses on DLs is not to ensure that the roads are safe from beginners, but to ensure that the state has mechanism that enables absolute control over every member of society, at the snap of a finger. Which can all to quickly morph into a knock on the door in the middle of the night.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-24-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
Please don't think I have anything against Indians in any way! I have issue with my private data going someplace where the laws/regulations of the United States are not the law of the land.

Obviously, in India, Indian laws are the most important. I'm ticked that I'm doing business with a company who is chosing to send my private data outside of the US to a country with different data protection laws.

My concerns are: If anything happens (if my data is stolen), who do you complain to? How is anything resolved?
So if your concerned just close the account;you don't need advice to do that.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I would be more worried about what these search engines in the USA can do.

This one ain't the average search engine! Check out http://www.spokeo.com

Punch your name in there and let it fly.

Unbelievable the stuff that will come up!
They have five listings. I'm three of them. So I'd wonder how accurate they can be. By the way, it's Oneco, not Sarasota. Sarasota's further south.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:07 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Regarding spokeo, you should be concerned regardless of the accuracy of your listing. Over time, your listing will become more accurate through continued data mining. To remove yourself from Spokeo's site, look on the bottom right hand side of the screen for a link marked "privacy" and follow the instructions.

Some of the information is gathered from public records, but other bits come from public sites like Facebook. If you are a member and are not up-to-speed on the current information-sharing issues with Facebook, I strongly suggest that you do so right now. I am very concerned that we are raising a generation of children whose privacy rights have been so eroded that they are unable to recognize the inherent danger in a transparent society. Furthermore, I think many older adults are completely unaware of what is happening and use these sites in similar ignorance.
What types of data is being shared by Facebook? I'm not familiar and would like to know more info. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,681,263 times
^My post is actually in response to Formercalifornian:

Why do I care if my information IS shared? I'm not important enough for anyone to intentionally seek me out in my home. Not that I'd answer the door for them anyhow.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What types of data is being shared by Facebook? I'm not familiar and would like to know more info. Thanks.
For one thing, when you sign up for FaceBook, your settings default to a wide scope of sharing of your information outside FaceBook, and it requires a complicated and non-intuitive process to change your settings to disallow them. But, obviously, FaceBook has no personal information about you except what you provide.

However, you are required to provide an e-mail address in order to sign up for FaceBook, and I believe they can then mine your address book. They "suggest" contacts for me, that could only have been learned about through that source.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:51 AM

648 posts, read 1,175,391 times
Yet another reason to use our powers of BOYCOTT and NOT have a credit card. There is wonderful thing that we have called CHOICE and if people are annoyed with the ever-changing rules of credit cards, they should let the companies know how they feel and NOT have one!
The only reason they keep jerking us around is because Americans are so hypnotized into thinking they NEED one, so the cc comps have so many people by the balls, they just do as they please, and they get away with it.
Give them the 'big finger' by canceling your card(s), and do yourself a favor-- make a personal vow to never have one again. You think you "need" one,, but guess what-- YOU DON'T......!!! People survived for millions of years without them, and you can, too!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 AM

My credit card gives me 2% cash back, charges no fees, gives me a free monthly printout of all my transactions, protects me against fraud, lets me withhold payment for an unsatisfactory product or unscrupulous service, gives me access to cash at any hour anywhere in the world, and enables me to pay bills on line or by phone. That's a plus. If somebody in India has private information about 100-million Americans, who's going to sit down and pay any attention to MINE? What's the minus?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For one thing, when you sign up for FaceBook, your settings default to a wide scope of sharing of your information outside FaceBook, and it requires a complicated and non-intuitive process to change your settings to disallow them. But, obviously, FaceBook has no personal information about you except what you provide.

However, you are required to provide an e-mail address in order to sign up for FaceBook, and I believe they can then mine your address book. They "suggest" contacts for me, that could only have been learned about through that source.
The only way they can mine your address book is if you provide your password (which I refused to do) to allow them to search for contacts listed in your address book. I do need to recheck my privacy settings to see what information is open for them to share but at least I wasn't dumb enough to give them my email password.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:04 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,816,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I would be more worried about what these search engines in the USA can do.

This one ain't the average search engine! Check out http://www.spokeo.com

Punch your name in there and let it fly.

Unbelievable the stuff that will come up!
According to this site, I don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates