Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The only way they can mine your address book is if you provide your password (which I refused to do) to allow them to search for contacts listed in your address book. I do need to recheck my privacy settings to see what information is open for them to share but at least I wasn't dumb enough to give them my email password.
Facebook repeatedly offers me "suggestions" of contacts I "might like". All of them are people with whom, at some time in the past, I had an email correspondence. In some cases, I cannot recall ever having an email with them, but I recognize their names, they are probably on the FaceBook friends list of the people that are being suggested. There are several degrees of separation operating here, and I am disconcerted by this fact. I suspect it might be that those people have either opened or failed to secure their FaceBook account, so FaceBook is crawling through their address book or mailbox, finding me, and notifying me that these are people I might like to add.

I just today got this message from my cousin: "Facebook has a new privacy setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Allow." If this concerns you, go to Account > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites > Instant Personalization - Edit Settings, and uncheck "Allow"."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 05:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Facebook repeatedly offers me "suggestions" of contacts I "might like". All of them are people with whom, at some time in the past, I had an email correspondence. In some cases, I cannot recall ever having an email with them, but I recognize their names, they are probably on the FaceBook friends list of the people that are being suggested. There are several degrees of separation operating here, and I am disconcerted by this fact. I suspect it might be that those people have either opened or failed to secure their FaceBook account, so FaceBook is crawling through their address book or mailbox, finding me, and notifying me that these are people I might like to add.

I just today got this message from my cousin: "Facebook has a new privacy setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Allow." If this concerns you, go to Account > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites > Instant Personalization - Edit Settings, and uncheck "Allow"."
I got that same message. It only refers to certain "partner" sites that I'm not even a member of.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:29 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

I don't like that "instant Personalization" stuff so I need to check my settings. As far as FB suggesting "friends" that you know, this is likely due to the fact that these individuals may have given FB access to their email address book (with your contact info included) or they may have done a FB search specifically for you. I rarely use FB and considering canceling my account with them. The people who are my FB friends are folks I hardly ever communicate with. Waste of time IMO.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,035,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I got that same message. It only refers to certain "partner" sites that I'm not even a member of.
It is still wrong of them to default to sharing your information with other companies especially if you are unaware of this. The default should be that you would have to opt in to this versus the onus of having to opt out.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
Having to opt out is actually the norm. You get a credit card, you have to opt out of them sharing your information also.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,141 times
From CNN, Senators Urge Facebook to Change Privacy Settings...

Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- Four Democratic senators called on Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday to reconsider the recent changes in its privacy settings and asked the Federal Trade Commission to streamline guidelines regarding privacy on all social networks.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Why does it seem so interesting to me that the only Senators who are concerned about our privacy are Democrats? Is there a political message there, that we should all be paying attention to?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
I would say there is a major message here. Apparently the Democrats are interested in personal privacy and the Republicans in whatever might allow businesses to be more profitable by being more invasive of our individual privacy. Kind of opposite of what they claim.

I have been wondering where some of the unsolicited advertising I get in the mail found out where I live. I ignore the stuff but still have to carry it out to the recycle bin.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:05 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,141 times
Facebook's High Pressure Tactics: Opt-In or Else!

Quote:
Facebook users who choose not to link their user accounts to Facebook's public Pages are ending up with blank profiles containing no information at all. If you haven't experienced this problem, it's probably thanks to the somewhat high-pressure tactics Facebook is using to get you to accept these changes. ...

However, the high-pressure tactics being used to get people to link to Facebook Pages are a good example of how Facebook is coyly forcing people to go public with their previously more private, personal data. Although the pop-up box quietly warns "Remember, your Pages are public," few Facebook users will likely take note of that text. (After all, if thousands of people managed to confuse this blog with Facebook, we doubt they can grasp the finer points of data privacy.)

So what should your takeaway be from all this mess? Look before you link.

In fact, it may be best if you just assume that everything on Facebook will be public from now on and act accordingly.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,791,648 times
Privacy be damned! If they're going to sell my private information, I want a piece of the action. I don't want to give it away anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates