Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:29 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure there's enough money in the world to make me give up a kidney. However, if I were a match for someone and they needed it badly, I might do it cause I wanted to help them and considered it the right thing to do. But for money alone...not likely. I just wouldn't want to risk my health for a dollar amount even though they say you can live just fine with one kidney or even part of a kidney.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:44 AM

494 posts, read 890,740 times
I would do it for a million, plus require that all my medical expenses be paid for, plus the costs of any future medical expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of giving up a kidney. I would also stipulate that if I died as a result of the surgery, my heirs would get double that amount as damages. I have no moral issues with the selling of body parts as long as it was properly regulated to minimize abuse.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
As an interesting non-political debate, how much money would it take for you to donate a kidney if a multi-millionaire needed one? Or would you not donate it at all? Is it ethical to ask for money for organs?
We were just having this debate in my biology class before spring break.

-$1,000?
-$10,000?
-$50,000?
-$75,000?
-$100,000?
-$500,000?
-$1,000,000?

I said at least 100,000 for me to consider it.
None!! Give it to someone who really needs it! Like a poor child in an impoverished country! Are you kidding me? No way.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
None!! Give it to someone who really needs it! Like a poor child in an impoverished country! Are you kidding me? No way.
Explain to us all how the rich person with kidney failure needs a kidney less than a poor person with kidney failure? Also please explain why you think it's okay for me to choose a poor person as the recipient of a my own body part but it's not okay to choose a rich person? Is it the presence of money that is disgusting to you? If so, then nobody should ever receive a transplant because "free" organ or not, there is a lot of money involved one way or the
other.

Also I would present the opinion that a rich person in a developed country will do better post-transplant than a poor person in a third world country. Post surgical attention and expensive anti-rejection drugs are required for transplant patients for the rest of their lives. Which patient will have the access and the funds for both?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Explain to us all how the rich person with kidney failure needs a kidney less than a poor person with kidney failure? Also please explain why you think it's okay for me to choose a poor person as the recipient of a my own body part but it's not okay to choose a rich person? Is it the presence of money that is disgusting to you? If so, then nobody should ever receive a transplant because "free" organ or not, there is a lot of money involved one way or the
other.

Also I would present the opinion that a rich person in a developed country will do better post-transplant than a poor person in a third world country. Post surgical attention and expensive anti-rejection drugs are required for transplant patients for the rest of their lives. Which patient will have the access and the funds for both?
He meant give the money to someone poor or in need, not the kidney.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
I re-read his post to be sure I didn't misread it, and it really does sound to me like he's talking about the organ itself. If not, then my questions of course would just be in general, rather than directed at someone in particular.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:57 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
That's exactly what I meant. I apologize to the OP if I didn't state it correctly. But I was talking about the money. I would never accept it. Giving a kidney to someone is not something you can put a price tag on.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 719 times
Who ever needs a kidney im selling my kidney for 300,000 whoever needs one. I'm really healthy and i need to sell it to save my house. Those who are muti-millionaire heres my e-mail if your serous about it [email]Christian1983@hotmail.com[/email] my name is Mr. Burgos thank you and have a great day.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They'd have to cover the cost of the surgery, and the time I would be out of work because of it. However, if I was "released" by my employer, that figure would obviously go up. I figure I have another 40 years of work at least in me.
For me, the kidney itself isn't worth even 50 cents...it's the time lost from working that is valuable to me. I've got two of them, after all, and only need one.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:23 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
I'd never sell a kidney for money, but I'd gladly donate to a family member or friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates