Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 05:40 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times

Advertisements

In most parts of the world, healthcare, housing and education are not entitlements. Lets stop treating them as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM

27 posts, read 14,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
They pay an overall lower tax rate, than the middle class.

The classic example is Warren Buffet and his secretary.

Buffet pays around 17.7%, she pays in over 30%.

If you increased Buffets tax rate to around 20%, and lowered the secretaries rate to 20%, you'd still have more tax revenue, than you do now.
Now you know what comes out of the a cow. Grass and grain in, this B.S. out.

Fact: Top 1% earn 20% of all income earned but pay 40% of all income taxes paid.

I implore you, confine yourself to the truth, - Please.

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 05:45 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnoAhiMahi View Post
Now you know what comes out of the a cow. Grass and grain in, this B.S. out.

Fact: Top 1% earn 20% of all income earned but pay 40% of all income taxes paid.

I implore you, confine yourself to the truth, - Please.

OnoAhiMahi
Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary - Times Online

It is true.

With all the tax loopholes, the richest Americans pay less of a tax percentage than the middle class does.

Read the story.

If you don't believe me, that the "tax bracket" isn't to be taken at face value, look at the recent news story. 47% of Americans pay no taxes at all. Yet, if you look at their "tax bracket" they are supposed to.

Again, things aren't always what they seem.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Including tax costs. Thank you for your support of my "bs" point.

Unless you live like the Unabomber, you buy goods and services at retail, even though, as it is stupidly pointless to add, nobody forces you to. Whoever handles those products before they got to you had to pay taxes as their cost of doing business. Now my question:

Do they include their tax cost in your price? YES / NO.
And who does most of the consuming and, therefore, sales-tax funding? The wealty. It is one of the perks the goes with the job. BTW, it is part of the motivation package that causes peope to do the hard work and take the risks, to get rich. That activity makes America better.

You do want America to get better, don't you???????

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
Quote:
And who does most of the consuming and, therefore, sales-tax funding? The wealty. It is one of the perks the goes with the job. BTW, it is part of the motivation package that causes peope to do the hard work and take the risks, to get rich. That activity makes America better.

You do want America to get better, don't you???????

OnoAhiMahi
Again you're wrong.

If you look at it from a percentage perspective.

Lets say, I make 30,000 a year. I pay almost 100% of my income into just getting by. Lets say I pay in 70% of my income, to live. That gives me 30% to save.

Now, if I make 1,000,000 a year, and get by on 50% of my income, that still leaves me 50% to save, and invest, and make more money.

They aren't putting the most in, per person, based on percentage.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Buffett blasts system that lets him pay less tax than secretary - Times Online

It is true.

With all the tax loopholes, the richest Americans pay less of a tax percentage than the middle class does.

Read the story.

If you don't believe me, that the "tax bracket" isn't to be taken at face value, look at the recent news story. 47% of Americans pay no taxes at all. Yet, if you look at their "tax bracket" they are supposed to.

Again, things aren't always what they seem.
Yes, and it seems they never seem to be what you say they are.

One more time, for those of you napping,

The top 1% earn 20% of all income EARNED but pay 40% of all income taxes PAID. These figures are from the IRS, not me.

There are so may tax credits for the lower end of income earners, that fully 40% of filers pay $0.00 (thats zip.squat for some of you), AND on top of paying nothing, get money from the neighbors in the form of tax credits.

NOW YOU KNOW THE REST AND FULL AND COMPETE STORY, NOT THE LIES, EXCEPTIONS AND HALF-TRUTHS ARTICULATED BY MR 88.

Now please quit take anecdotal evidence as if it proves a point.

Mahi was right about your and your propensities, but you're amusing to say the least, and golly, I just can't help liking you.

OnoAhiMahi

Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM

I'm sorry, Mr. 1979

Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Again you're wrong.

If you look at it from a percentage perspective.

Lets say, I make 30,000 a year. I pay almost 100% of my income into just getting by. Lets say I pay in 70% of my income, to live. That gives me 30% to save.

Now, if I make 1,000,000 a year, and get by on 50% of my income, that still leaves me 50% to save, and invest, and make more money.

They aren't putting the most in, per person, based on percentage.
But in $$$$$ terms, my spending and sales tax paying outstrips you 20 to 1.

Ono

Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,219,462 times
Quote:
The common feeling you refer to is a myth. In the U.S., the rich pay for almost everything. EG top 1% earn 20% of all income earned, but pay 40% of income taxes paid.

The bottom 47% don't even pay taxes, and the bottom 40% pay nothing AND get money from their neighbors AND they still get to vote AND it still gets counted.

It is an outrage

OnoAhiMahi

The Top 1% of Americans own 43% of the wealth.

The Top 5% of Americans own 72% of the wealth.

The Top 10% of Americans own 83% of the wealth.
The Top 20% of Americans own 93% of the wealth.

THE BOTTOM 80% OF AMERICANS OWN ONLY 7% OF THE WEALTH!

This is the real outrage. Greed is destroying America.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
The Top 1% of Americans own 43% of the wealth.

The Top 5% of Americans own 72% of the wealth.

The Top 10% of Americans own 83% of the wealth.
The Top 20% of Americans own 93% of the wealth.

THE BOTTOM 80% OF AMERICANS OWN ONLY 7% OF THE WEALTH!

This is the real outrage. Greed is destroying America.

A couple of minor points.

Cite your source (if you have one)

We are talking about taxes, not wealth.

And if you gave 50% of the weath the rich have to the poor, in a year, they would have squandered it all away. That is why they are poor, because THEY are POOR.

OnoAhiMahi

And quit referring to Obama as "greed", but yes, he is destroying America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates