Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times

Advertisements

Am I understanding this situation in W. VA right?

The mine had dangerously high fumes for a long time, yet the miners kept working in there. The mine exploded, trapping the miners in with the fumes.

And yet the fumes are too dangerous for rescue workers to go in after them.

Is that the synopsis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
In paragraph 9 of the characteristically useless news story, is the line: "Poisonous gases have filled the underground tunnels since Monday afternoon's blast." http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100408/ap_on_bi_ge/us_mine_explosion (broken link)

It appears, from careful re-reading, that the working mine has systems in place designed to keep the air fresh, but after the blast, the systems have been left disabled and non-functioning, so the gas buildup cannot be neutralized. So the condition of the atmosphere in the mine before the blast cannot be inferred from the conditions that prevail now.

Journalism in America has reached an unbelievable low level of ass-covering to the point that it is impossible to glean any information about "what really happened" from any mainstream news reports. Partly due to the fact that reporters have so little eclectic knowledge about anything, that they are unable to think of intelligent question, and report only the words of people trying to be either evasive or hysterical. They've been to Journalism school, and have mastered the style guide, and understand libel, and that's about it. In the above story, the investigative priority was to get vigil-walker Anna West's age right (34).

Last edited by jtur88; 04-08-2010 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Probably H2S which forms naturally.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
What i don't understand is when after all these violations they just can't at some point shut some of these mines down.The probelm with libel is that since the westmoreland case with 60 minutes ;it bascially cleared them to knowingly lie.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,646,674 times
This is going to sound horrible but I'm just going to throw this out there. A while ago, I watched a story about those mining towns and miners + families in WV. Most of the residents are a bunch of poor meth addicts, they live off of Mountain Dew and meth. I can't make this stuff up. The miners know the dangers but according to them it's what they do. They can't find other work in the area and that's all they know anyway because their fathers and their grandfathers mined the same mines. The mines are dangerous, the entire community knows it. They choose to live their lives there and it's sad when this kind of tragedy happens but, it's a way of life for them. Those mines will never be shut down because there will always be miners willing to mine them and someone is profiting.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
This is going to sound horrible but I'm just going to throw this out there. A while ago, I watched a story about those mining towns and miners + families in WV. Most of the residents are a bunch of poor meth addicts, they live off of Mountain Dew and meth. I can't make this stuff up. The miners know the dangers but according to them it's what they do. They can't find other work in the area and that's all they know anyway because their fathers and their grandfathers mined the same mines. The mines are dangerous, the entire community knows it. They choose to live their lives there and it's sad when this kind of tragedy happens but, it's a way of life for them. Those mines will never be shut down because there will always be miners willing to mine them and someone is profiting.
I have no reason to disbelieve you. There are plenty of guys down here who work on the rigs in the gulf, and control the meth industry when they are ashore. How widespread it is, I have no idea, but I know it does occur, and I cant see why coal miners would be any different from gulf oil riggers.

By the way, coal mining has been made relatively safe. In China, the number of coal mining deaths per unit of coal extracted is about 50 times what it is in the USA.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM

731 posts, read 1,580,101 times
Whether those people are drug addicts or white collar criminals, they are still human and they are helping to create a huge energy source for the US. It is just too bad that organizations like OSHA and MSHA (I think that is right) do not enforce safety regulations and be proactive in preventing such disasters.

My nephew has worked on offshore rigs in the gulf and my husband worked in the Persian Gulf. I have never heard of roughnecks controlling a meth industry, that is....I'm sorry I'm laughing. Now, there was boat filled with cocain from somewhere in Latin America that was stopped in the gulf somewhere around Texas. I believe the industry belongs to Mexicans and Latinos.

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates