Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:53 AM

161 posts, read 342,020 times

Advertisements

I've always wondered who originally decided what colors were? If as of today...everyone that saw a firetruck said, "look at that green firetruck" would that mean it was green, or still red?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Not all languages delineate colors the same way English does. Linguists divide the world into "Grue" languages and "non-Grue" languages, according to whether they make a distinction between Blue and Green. The two sets of languages differ from each other in quite a few other ways, as well. Some languages have only two words for colors: Grue and non-Grue. Everything that is blue or green is called one color, and everything else is called by one other word. Where necessary, they can use an attributive to differentiate hues in a group, as we have Navy blue and Sky blue. In fact, in some languages, there are several words for blue, depending on shade.

However, most modern languages now recognize the fundamentals of primary and secondary colors, which are confirmed by scientific pigment attributes, and not just perception, and have words for red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet, as well as black an white (absence or presence of color, along with Gray). Most languages now have a word for brown, which is a complex of any three or more hues, so those ten are the only fundamental words for color that are relatively uniform through nearly all languages.

The human eye has only three different kinds of color receptors. Everything you see is interpreted by your brain according to how much of the light is reacted to by each of the three sets of receptors in your retina. If all three sets of receptor send the same intensity of signal to the brain, your brain classifies it as white (or weiss or blanc or belo, depending on the language your brain speaks). Most things in nature are brown, which means the light affects all three sets of retina receptors, and that is an example of a color that English doesn't bother breaking down into its variables. So English, really leaves most things in the universe within a pretty vague color word, brown.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-10-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA View Post
I've always wondered who originally decided what colors were? If as of today...everyone that saw a firetruck said, "look at that green firetruck" would that mean it was green, or still red?
I recently had a physical where the doctor had me take the test for colorblindness. You know, the Ishihara test with the numbers hidden in a pattern of colored dots.

I failed 14 out of 15 tests. She asked me if I knew I was colorblind and I told her I see colors all over the place. What I see as yellow others see as yellow, I see green when others see green, etc. She told me I am probably seeing a different hue than what other people see. I questioned the credibility of the test. The conversation ended.

But she did get me to thinking that my yellow isn't the yellow the normal population sees and the colors that we see are based on our perception of the true colors of natural light.

Last edited by geofra; 04-10-2010 at 10:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 09:46 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,168,319 times
Red will still have the same wavelength. No matter what you call it.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,915,728 times
There's a book called Color: A Natural History of the palette that you might find interesting. It goes into the symbolism of color and their acquired meanings and uses.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,418,587 times
we all see colors differently...

you see, when you're born, your parents "tell" you that the grass is green, and that the sky is blue...except, whatever color you're seeing may be different than what your parents are seeing, only they are telling you the name of that color you're seeing.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,691,260 times
look up the etymology of each word that is used to describe a hue?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,046,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
we all see colors differently...

you see, when you're born, your parents "tell" you that the grass is green, and that the sky is blue...except, whatever color you're seeing may be different than what your parents are seeing, only they are telling you the name of that color you're seeing.
That is probably not true, for several reasons.

1. There are only three kinds of color receptors in the human retina, which consistently excite the brain in the same way. for the same reason that we all have ears on the sides of our heads. Bodies are very consistent. What is called 'red' always excites the same set of receptors on everyone's retinas.

2. Blue can range to nearly black, but red cannot. There is no way that you see "dark yellow" when I see navy blue. Everybody sees yellow as a color that cannot be dark.

3. Color also has saturation, which is revealed in a black and white photo. For example, in b/w, red is always darker than blue. We both see the same gray tone darknesses in black and white photos.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM

138 posts, read 173,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is probably not true, for several reasons.

1. There are only three kinds of color receptors in the human retina, which consistently excite the brain in the same way. for the same reason that we all have ears on the sides of our heads. Bodies are very consistent. What is called 'red' always excites the same set of receptors on everyone's retinas.

2. Blue can range to nearly black, but red cannot. There is no way that you see "dark yellow" when I see navy blue. Everybody sees yellow as a color that cannot be dark.

3. Color also has saturation, which is revealed in a black and white photo. For example, in b/w, red is always darker than blue. We both see the same gray tone darknesses in black and white photos.

Thats really interresting. red is darker than blue on b/w photos(and my parents TV)? Yellow can't be dark. I never thought about that. interresting stuff

Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
And the human eye can distinguish more shades of green than any other color.

But to answer the OP's question, they've found an ancient clay tablet in the Indus Valley that tells us it was Blarg The Cave-Painter who designated the colors in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates