Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:50 PM

42,013 posts, read 75,423,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Your definition of "old" varies with age.
Indeed it does. The definition of "middle age" is always 10 years older than you are at present.
Quote:
Old to me is anyone over 50, you know, the crowd that should have to have their eyes tested every year for drivers license purposes, and go shopping during rush hour, rather than go while everyone is at work.
I'm 50, but I'm too busy working for a living to go shopping. Alas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM

9,329 posts, read 16,706,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I'll take a rude 80 something over an obnoxious 20 something any day!
I'm with you! They think older people are rude because they're not in a hurry all the time speeding and rushing through life.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:10 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,870,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Maybe you need to move to a place that isn't over-run with oldsters seeking the Fountain of Youth.

I don't experience anything like that, up here in Omaha.
It's a shame, but I'm pretty happy here, where I was born, and the last 5 generations of my family were, too

Old 04-13-2010, 05:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,517,516 times
Quote:
The famous Miami restaurant "Wolfie's" refused to put condiments on the tables because the sugar and sweet-n-low packages would disappear into purses.
My mom didn't live in Miami but she used to do that too. She also hoarded cans of tuna. I think this is something that people who lived through the Great Depression of the late 20's have a tendency to do. Many people like my mom had a tough life during that time and often went hungry. Stealing from restaraunts and hoarding canned goods is probably a carry-over from those times that instilled the fear that someday they will have to face that situation again.

Old folks are often in pain. They can be frustrated that their bodies are not as healthy as they once were and their minds not as sharp. It isn't surprising that some will take it out on the world. But in the long run, I think old people who are rude were probably rude when they were young and not about to change a lifetime of bad habits.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,529 posts, read 6,344,052 times
In my case after years of wear and tear my "nice" has broken and my "give a ****" is getting close. Nothing lasts forever. Everything wears out sooner or later. For some peeps sooner than others.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:58 PM

45,599 posts, read 60,922,955 times
Rude old people were probably rude young people. Personalities don't change much.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,089,841 times
JB, I was with you until you stated that anyone over 50 was old.
I'm 48 and look pretty much as I did 20 years ago, in my head I'm still 17.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 PM

50,453 posts, read 64,294,398 times
I think mostly that older people are MORE polite in general, but I've heard that in the elderly, the frontal lobe of the brain, which is responsible for filtering the speech of younger people, starts to shrink, which explains why they are more blunt sometimes.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,089,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think mostly that older people are MORE polite in general, but I've heard that in the elderly, the frontal lobe of the brain, which is responsible for filtering the speech of younger people, starts to shrink, which explains why they are more blunt sometimes.
I must have come with a preshrunken version, lol.
I've always been known for speaking my mind.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,019,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Or, perhaps it's because as someone who has not reached retirement age, I am tired of being crapped on by old people with no respect for others?

And to think that I have the bad attitude towards old people. I deal with them day in and day out, and I am:

Polite
Helpful
Decent
Respectful

Hell, just the other day at an airshow, an old guy fell off his bike, while all the crowd 40+ just stood there and stared, the 25 year old guy with tattoos on his arm walked up and helped the guy up, picked up his bike and the stuff he spilled when he hit the ground, and helped him on his way. Guess that makes me have a bad attitude towards old people. Some of you should really think twice about what you type before you hit submit.

However, when you hold the door for someone, and all they do is stare at you, or don't bother to let you get back up to stand with your wife and two kids, that's rude. No matter how you cut it, old people can be rude and generally do act with an air of entitlement. You may have earned your SSI benefits, and you may be retired, but that DOES not make you any better than anyone else.
I wasn't at the airshow. I just know you have posted on multiple occasions about the "rudeness of old people". Why so obsessed?

But for some reason you think you can read what they are thinking? You absolutely know they think they are better than you? Or do you think you are incapable of giving off vibes that you are annoyed by them?

I'm a few decades from "retirement age" but I don't get bent out of shape by rude people unless they go out of their way to try to harm me. Sometimes I'll just make a comment to them directly about their manners but not usually with my elders.

Everyone can serve as an example, even a bad one. That is all rude people really do regardless of their age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates