Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
And it shows thier respective upbringing, unlike yours where you mom gave you values as did mine. My children do not use that kind of language either.
Eh. My parents raised us just fine..and we curse all the time. Of course, it's NEVER EVER in public and only in certain situations (like...NEVER around my great grandmother or relatives/friends we're not familiar with). But when it's just me and my family... I think we could make a sailor blush
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Bottom line is that it's the language of people who are too stupid to use better adjectives, and those deluded into thinking that talking tough actually makes them tough.
Are you calling Mark Twain stupid?

Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Are you calling Mark Twain stupid?
Mark Twain didn't make stupid, vulgar comments on YouTube.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 PM

442 posts, read 965,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Eh. My parents raised us just fine..and we curse all the time. Of course, it's NEVER EVER in public and only in certain situations (like...NEVER around my great grandmother or relatives/friends we're not familiar with). But when it's just me and my family... I think we could make a sailor blush
Bring it on!-- I did mean in public. I think most everyone has hit thier little toe on some cornor and has said that almighty bad word.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
It is said that once Mark Twain's wife threw a line of swear words back at him, just so he could see what he sounded like. He replied "You got the words right, my dear, but you can't carry a tune in a basket".

Old 04-14-2010, 05:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Mark Twain didn't make stupid, vulgar comments on YouTube.
No, but he did make a habit of using vulgar language, in everyday conversation.

Now he didn't say F this, and F that all the time, but he was very liberal in his vocabulary.

You're comment seemed much more directed at foul language period, rather than just poor use of foul language.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 PM

355 posts, read 615,860 times
Allow me my two kopeks here.

If the social group allows you to curse it simply speaks either of informality of this group, or of your acceptance in this group. If my boss is to call me to his office and start cursing (not offending me, but just generally using curse words), that will be better than a praise, because it will let me know that he feels comfortable doing so around me.
Also, sometimes, you need these words to explain how you really feel.
Picture this: you come to your town after being absent for a long time, you find it destroyed, your house burned, your family. What are you gonna say? "oh crap"? "i don't like those bad individuals who did this?"
Probably not.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,216 times
Some use language online that they do not offline because of the relative anonymity and the fact that the worst punishment for vulgarity is getting one's account revoked.

Some actually curse on a regular basis. Which is probably due to many factors in their lives. It may create assumptions about them in others, but sometimes those are not reflective of anything but their language.

Some use it to get attention or as an intimidation tactic. Of course it only works if the receivers/victims actually are of the mindset to respond to this type of online verbal activity.

I can see how, as another poster stated, in some instances curse words are a more efficient way of expressing an idea than actually spelling it out.
If one says "F- You" that is easier than saying 'the bad thing you did to me was atrocious, and because of that particular action I hope you die, catch full blown aids, or get your genitals chopped off".

I rarely use curse words online, but outside of my job and acquiring of goods and services offline, I curse like the proverbial sailor.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Basically I only curse when Windows or Word crashes while I am working But even then I usually limit it to the equivalents of 'no' or in more extreme cases '****' (oops, got replaced by asterisks, I meant excrements) or even 'goddamn ****' in my mother tongue But I never curse when there is anyone around, only when I am alone. And I avoid all sexual cursing, I think that is just too primitive.
I guess I am a rather relaxed person, I know things go wrong and the world will continue to revolve

I agree with some here who make a difference between using such words when alone and when in company. And another difference between cursing at a situation and at people

I also agree that such words can serve as a steam outlet so to speak. Maybe the mind reserves such words for such situations to express the exceptional state of mind that anger is or at least should be If so, wouldn't it be possible to simply create meaningless words for that purpose, for instance rruppassapp, and attribute them to anger?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
If one says "F- You" that is easier than saying 'the bad thing you did to me was atrocious, and because of that particular action I hope you die, catch full blown aids, or get your genitals chopped off".
Hm, but wouldn't it be just as fast to say idiot instead of **** you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates