Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
That is a risk in any system. The more constitutional protection of the individual we keep/add the better chance we have of keeping the elite at bay. Plus by rolling back many of the changes we had made over the last hundred years or so would help. We could also limit lobbying to trying to protect freedom of the individual, not take it away.

Getting back to the idea of a republic vs. democracy would help also.
Hmm. North Korea and Cuba are republics. Canada and Norway are not.

Your point may be well taken, but just flipping a buzzword into the discussion does little to help clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,188,100 times
Whenever somebody tells me, "I vote the straight Republican/Democratic party ticket," I look for the lobotomy scars. Preferring the Democrats over the Republicans (Or vice versa) is like choosing the Crips over the Bloods. Both are nothing more than gangs of thugs looting the treasury to enrich a very small group of people. Neither of them care about the fate of the country--or you.

So you as a citizen have a duty to vote for the person, not the party. If you do otherwise, you are a traitor to the Republic, as much so as if you had sold military secrets to a hostile foreign power.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Whenever somebody tells me, "I vote the straight Republican/Democratic party ticket," I look for the lobotomy scars. Preferring the Democrats over the Republicans (Or vice versa) is like choosing the Crips over the Bloods. Both are nothing more than gangs of thugs looting the treasury to enrich a very small group of people. Neither of them care about the fate of the country--or you.

So you as a citizen have a duty to vote for the person, not the party. If you do otherwise, you are a traitor to the Republic, as much so as if you had sold military secrets to a hostile foreign power.
So, you're saying one should vote for a thug depending on some other criteria besides which gang he belongs to? And I'm a traitor if I refuse to dutifully validate the thugocracy with my vote? And circumventing an immoral one-sided profiteering attack on a defenseless country by giving away military secrets is a bad idea?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, you're saying one should vote for a thug depending on some other criteria besides which gang he belongs to? And I'm a traitor if I refuse to dutifully validate the thugocracy with my vote? And circumventing an immoral one-sided profiteering attack on a defenseless country by giving away military secrets is a bad idea?
Well, really? You believe one political party is on the side of angels while the other is not? That would make one a dupe, my friend.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Well, really? You believe one political party is on the side of angels while the other is not? That would make one a dupe, my friend.
Are you and I on the same planet? Read what I wrote and get back to me.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Are you and I on the same planet? Read what I wrote and get back to me.
Speaking of profiteering, let's just run down Obama's campaign contributions. The guy has been bought and sold by the big banks, so much so that he appointed Geithner as the Secretary of the Treasury, all so we can keep funding the most outrageous theft of public funds in history.

As I said, neither side has anywhere close to clean hands. And only a nitwit would argue otherwise.

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Speaking of profiteering, let's just run down Obama's campaign contributions. The guy has been bought and sold by the big banks, so much so that he appointed Geithner as the Secretary of the Treasury, all so we can keep funding the most outrageous theft of public funds in history.

As I said, neither side has anywhere close to clean hands. And only a nitwit would argue otherwise.

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets
I have absolutely no idea where you are coming from on this. Simply because I used the term "profiteering" in my post, which otherwise said the exact, diametrical opposite of what you interpreted it to say?

We were warned against the military industrial complex by a Republican president. Two Democratic presidents whipped up and fanned the flames of the Viet Nam war. A Democratic president bombed the aspirin factory in Sudan.

Please---go back to my original post, and tell me where I implied that one political party is on the side of angels while the other is not.

Here's my post again, to save you the trouble of looking for it:

Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,220,608 times
Quote:

Your point may be well taken, but just flipping a buzzword into the discussion does little to help clarity.
But they are not republics with a strong constitution that protects the rights of the individual against the whims of the majority.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
But they are not republics with a strong constitution that protects the rights of the individual against the whims of the majority.
They function as republics, and have constitutions very similar to our own. The main difference is that they outlaw political parties more liberally than we do. The only political party in the US that I know of that was made illegal was the Communist party, but I'm sure the Nazi party would have banned, too, and a pro-slavery party probably would be now. So, even republics have the authority to ban political parties.

Did I mention that Iran is also a republic, and as of the latest update of Wikipedia, had 223 registered political parties. Iran's constitution guarantees even more rights than the US Constitution does, for example, to furnish all citizens with equal and appropriate opportunities, to provide them with work, and to satisfy their essential needs, so that the course of their progress may be assured.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:30 AM

314 posts, read 189,568 times
Quote:

And just flipping a buzzword into the name of a communist country, doesn't make it a republic, but I guess the attraction of the cheap shot, is just to much for some posters to resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates