Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 AM

768 posts, read 1,091,444 times

Advertisements

For those who buy into the stereotype that anarchists are violent and want to usher in a world of chaos and terror, consider this insightful and timely essay by John Zerzan and try to reconcile the stereotype with the man and his concerns presented here. My guess is the stereotype will wither away and you may have a new and enlightened opinion about anarchism.

Running on Emptiness: The Failure of Symbolic Thought--John Zerzan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,274,644 times
Pretentious gobbledygook. If the guy can't summarize his point more concisely than that, it's because his point is the center of an imaginary circle that he keeps lapping.

Even Anarchy will ultimately devolve to Oligarchy.

"Whoever sows desire, harvests oppression".---Muriel Berbery

Old 04-21-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pretentious gobbledygook. If the guy can't summarize his point more concisely than that, it's because his point is the center of an imaginary circle that he keeps lapping.

Or perhaps it is the reader's lack of comprehension or patience or both. I guess as one becomes accustomed to pithy sound bites and short comments, one can no longer cares to engage in depth and substance.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,274,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
Or perhaps it is the reader's lack of comprehension or patience or both. I guess as one becomes accustomed to pithy sound bites and short comments, one can no longer cares to engage in depth and substance.
It'll be interesting, as this thread progresses, to see if anybody else finds any "depth or substance" in there. I don't have any trouble reading, for example, Louis Lapham or Lewis Mumford, and finding depth or substance in their essays.

By the way, Zerzan wrote that almost a decade ago, and so far, has not set the world on fire with it.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
It'll be interesting, as this thread progresses, to see if anybody else finds any "depth or substance" in there. I don't have any trouble reading, for example, Louis Lapham or Lewis Mumford, and finding depth or substance in their essays.
I won't hold out too much hope as the majority on CD seem to be quite comfortable with their prejudices and narrow views. I will have to check out Lapham.

Quote:
By the way, Zerzan wrote that almost a decade ago, and so far, has not set the world on fire with it.
I am aware of that, but it may not be any inherent problems with his ideas that is responsible for its lack of public acceptance, but the public's lack of vision, understanding and openness to revolutionary ideas. Add the steady barrage of propaganda from the established order and innovation has no chance.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM

731 posts, read 1,584,379 times
Well, I am obviously not as well read as you two; however, I much agreed with the content of the essay. Simon and Garfunkel said it in "Sounds of Silence"
"And the people bowed and prayed,
to the neon god they made, and so on. The hippies tried to display a simpler life, no need for government, no war, peace and love, but they were only known as a drug culture. However, they did change the state of affairs, if only for a time. I do not think anarchism is a bad thing, it certainly is not worse than the limits the government is constantly putting on our society. Now, the limits are enforced in the name of terrorism. Who is terrorizing the people? Is it that civilization thing? I am fortunate enough to have a home in the country and there is nothing better than to be stuck home in an ice storm, it is beautiful and you live with what you have and it doesn't harm anyone to do without electricity.
If I am off topic, sorry, I started to daydream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates