Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

Just a quote from La Fontaine: Man is ice to truth, fire to faleshood.

So is this the secret every politician and religious leader has known, from the gitgo?

Myself? I agree. Tell me a nice, juicy lie that flies over my head, and I'll love you forever. Tell me the truth, and I'll never forgive you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 AM

968 posts, read 2,625,648 times
it certainly seems that way. When a politician lies or covers up a scandal, but has money for his constituents, the scandal doesn't seem so bad. and if the politician is in the majorities favor, it just goes away.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Tell me the truth and I might not like it but I will respect it. Lie to me and I will never trust you again.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

So is this the secret every politician and religious leader has known, from the gitgo?

Myself? I agree. Tell me a nice, juicy lie that flies over my head, and I'll love you forever. Tell me the truth, and I'll never forgive you!
This is not the domain of politicians. Just looked at the news and you see that people like sensationalist news and often those news are distorted. People love to hear that. What are the 'newspapers' that have the most circulation? Globe and the Inquirer. What does that say about people in general? Also look at People Magazine and others like that because people like gossip and like to talk about others so much. Lies are the nice juice to gossip.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 AM

221 posts, read 365,031 times
Quote:

To the extent that we want to hear lies we like, and avoid truths we do not like, yes.

When we like the truth, we take to it just as well.

Consider the thread about "White Cities" going herein. Say anything about the crime rate and it's correlation to black, and despite it's proven truth, and folks don't want to hear it.

But people love to hear all kinds of polyanna Kumbaya stuff, all day long.

Or similarly, people live to hear about how wine is "good for you", but not about how alcohol is an addictive, destructive drug. (Same for pot, et. al.)

Truth is often cold and harsh, people like warm and fuzzy.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Is man the only animal that has an insatiable appetite for things that are harmful and destructive? Specifically, our dietary inclination to pig out on fat, sugar, salt, alcohol, etc, with virtually no control mechanism. Every other animal instinctively avoids foods that contain toxic or otherwise harmful components.

Given this propensity, I predict that man will not become extinct due to wars, climate change, or the like, but will voluntarily poison himself by the gluttonous consumption of foods that are certain to kill us. We have lost the natural instinctive capacity to recognize harmful foods and avoid them. And, in fact, awe've acquired a taste for them and prefer them over, and even to the exclusion of, natural safe nutrients.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Is man the only animal that has an insatiable appetite for things that are harmful and destructive? Specifically, our dietary inclination to pig out on fat, sugar, salt, alcohol, etc, with virtually no control mechanism. Every other animal instinctively avoids foods that contain toxic or otherwise harmful components.

Given this propensity, I predict that man will not become extinct due to wars, climate change, or the like, but will voluntarily poison himself by the gluttonous consumption of foods that are certain to kill us. We have lost the natural instinctive capacity to recognize harmful foods and avoid them. And, in fact, awe've acquired a taste for them and prefer them over, and even to the exclusion of, natural safe nutrients.
Read the book 'Born to Run'. There is a very interesting theory on why humans are gluttonous, and one which I agree with 100%. Gluttony is evolutionary beneficial to the human race. Technology and 'creature comforts' of today eliminate that need, but the instinctual desire for gluttony still exists. It is very off topic from this thread, but I can explain it to you if you PM me.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Read the book 'Born to Run'. There is a very interesting theory on why humans are gluttonous, and one which I agree with 100%. Gluttony is evolutionary beneficial to the human race. Technology and 'creature comforts' of today eliminate that need, but the instinctual desire for gluttony still exists. It is very off topic from this thread, but I can explain it to you if you PM me.
I don't think it is off topic. Man is the only animal that has learned to lie to other members of his species, which is why we do so many destructive things to each other. Gluttony occurs in quite a lot of animal species. Some eat as infrequently as a few times a year. But they still eat only what is good for them, and even if hungry, will not eat things that are harmful to ingest.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-29-2010 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
Quote:

Most, if not all of us, have a fear in hearing or telling the truth. Since man commits many more cowardly acts than brave acts in his lifetime, the truth is always harder to come by.

That is one reason why truth is valued more than lying.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:56 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Another take on this: A lie is sweet in the beginning, bitter in the end.
Truth is bitter in the beginning, sweet in the end.

But for some, the truth is bitter in the beginning and there's no end to the bitterness.

Just tell your wife or husband the truth, sometime, that you are having an affair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates