Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anybody has those companies that just pissed you off in one way or another and now you refuse to do any sort of business with them

I refuse to ever fly with American Airlines and bank with Bank of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Walmart.

Americans don't pay attention to news beyond the watered down evening news or short internet/newspaper blurbs, which is why they continue to mindlessly shop at one of the major contributors of job loss in this country due to outsourcing...not to mention their predatory business practices or lack of workplace ethics.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
-walmart, due to reasons listed above and I don't like being around gross people in gravy stained sweatshirts and stretch pants

-most national food chains. I'd rather support a local restaurant since it's cheaper and the food better and fresher

-lowes. horrible customer service and they hire too many people that have no idea what they are talking about

Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Sorry - the General U.S. room isn't for consumer complaints. Please see the room sticky for what is and what is not considered on topic in the room. Thank you.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:05 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Spirit Air: for charging to carry on baggage. As a practical matter, the airline doesn't serve destinations I would fly to. I suppose BP will be boycotted. McDonalds is a tempting target for many reasons: perceived unhealthy food, low wages for workers, multinational. But much of it is unfounded.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Just wondering if anybody has those companies that just pissed you off in one way or another and now you refuse to do any sort of business with them

I refuse to ever fly with American Airlines and bank with Bank of America
No. I recognize it as an isolated experience with one set of people, or one customer service operator, and do not extend it to the company as a whole.

When I have a GOOD experience, I think of it the same way, an isolated experience with one set of people or person.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:10 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
I refuse to shop at the "town across the river" - where the squirrels are black and the trash is white. They have installed red-light cameras at several key intersections just inside their city limits, shortened the duration of the yellow lights, and are sending out $107.50 tickets like nobody's business.

I've written to their City Council and explained to them that they have lost the tax revenue off of tens of thousands of dollars of building materials I buy every year. Their chairperson has done nothing but smart off and make excuses.

Idiots.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I hope this is a thread about the philosophy and/or the merit of boycotting, in order to keep it within the scope of Grat Debates.

I do not boycott any companies, because they are all equally despicable, and I never buy anything anyway that I can't obtain second-hand, except for a very few things. I'll buy loss-leaders anywhere---they lose money by delivering the product to me, so boycotting a loss-leader would be counterproductive. There are certain companies I would not do business with based on prior experience with the company, but that is not a 'boycott'.

I do, however, boycott political entities, because they are not equally despicable. I would now boycott Arizona, if I get the chance. I boycotted Wisconsin, when they dismantled their public assistance programs, and instead gave the money to the private sector which made believe it was 'retraining' workers, but kept most of the money for themselves, and then the state denied all the 'retrained but still unemployed' workers any relief benefits. That was hard to do, because at the time, my mother lived in Wisconsin. I would have to go there, but avoided buying anything. I would probably not buy anything from Israel, but I can't remember ever having seen an Israel-made product for sale.

Some boycotts are just plain silly. Like, if I said I refused to watch the televised game of my favorite team playing the Arizona Diamondbacks, what is the point of that?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I do not boycott any companies, because they are all equally despicable
All of them? Equally? Why? Is making a profit a bad thing? Should the fruits of everybody's labor be distributed among their peers with no compensation to the individual?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 AM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I hope this is a thread about the philosophy and/or the merit of boycotting, in order to keep it within the scope of Grat Debates.

I do not boycott any companies, because they are all equally despicable, and I never buy anything anyway that I can't obtain second-hand, except for a very few things...

Some boycotts are just plain silly. Like, if I said I refused to watch the televised game of my favorite team playing the Arizona Diamondbacks, what is the point of that?

i agree with you on most of your points. esspecially the emboldened ones i've come to see that people who "boycott" banks usually went into the negative and didn't get their overdraft or non sufficient funds fee's back.

i wanted to boycott bank of america when i went negative from their "debits and withdrawls first, then deposits" method of sorting transactions, but then i realized that most of the banks, that didn't go under in the recession, did that. I switched to credit unions.

instead of boycotting a certain company, i change my method of purchasing services or products.

boycotting a car dealership who didn't tell you they were adding a completely unnecessary 3,000 dollar fee onto your brand new car is not going to change a thing. reading the fine print on every contract you sign, and walking into a dealership with a dollar figure and a good idea of what car you want and what its worth, is the way to get things done.

when world market CEO declared he supported the tea party, democrats boycotted his store, (IIRC) but that blew over and people went back to their daily lives. if people were truely determined to shift his focus, they would have changed their shopping habits to other stores and delivered a financial hurdle to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates