Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

I didn't mean anything serious by the thread, just for fun. If I don't like the customer service of a place i'll boycott it, it helps me sleep at night haha, not that my business will affect multi million dollar corporatoins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 01:35 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Walmart, Due to their false price advertising. They'll have an item at a certain price, have a price increase for a few days then lower it to a price higher than it was originally. Then they have the gall to call it a rollback.

Delta, fly through their hub in Atlanta and its self explanatory.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
All of them? Equally? Why? Is making a profit a bad thing? Should the fruits of everybody's labor be distributed among their peers with no compensation to the individual?
Profit is not an aggregate sum. Profit is the re-distribution of the sum of the wealth. So your question is, Why is re-distribution of the aggregate wealth a bad thing?

It's a bad thing because it is reserved as the exclusive privilege of the wily or the greedy. The wealth of America belongs equally to all of us, and the use of guile to increase your share merely because you are smarter or quicker-thinking than the rubes and the suckers is not virtuous. There is nothing, philosophically, to distinguish a carny from an investment banker, nor a barker from the chairman of the Fed. They are all simply the means America has chosen to direst the redistribution of wealth to those who are most eager to grab it.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Profit is not an aggregate sum. Profit is the re-distribution of the sum of the wealth. So your question is, Why is re-distribution of the aggregate wealth a bad thing?

It's a bad thing because it is reserved as the exclusive privilege of the wily or the greedy. The wealth of America belongs equally to all of us, and the use of guile to increase your share merely because you are smarter or quicker-thinking than the rubes and the suckers is not virtuous. There is nothing, philosophically, to distinguish a carny from an investment banker, nor a barker from the chairman of the Fed. They are all simply the means America has chosen to direst the redistribution of wealth to those who are most eager to grab it.

Your copy of "Das Kapital" must be getting pretty worn out by now.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I boycott Kelloggs, because of what they did to Michael Phelps.

Its probably pointless, I know, Kelloggs will keep doing fine without my business, but hey, I've got some standards.

All boycotts may be pointless, but someones got to start somewhere.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
jtur says "profit is the redistribution of the sum of wealth" thereby exposing his belief that life is a zero sum game. But anyone who invents a productivity-improving product or service increases the total wealth, the size of the pie, and the more business he dies, the higher his profits, and the wealthier we all are. I can never pay Microsoft enough to give back all the wealth their tools have made for me; Bill Gates is the richest person on earth because he has been the most valuable to the rest of society. I don't boycott companies I don't like, I spend my money only when I value the goods or services offered, more than I value the money.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
I don't boycott anything, but I try to avoid shopping at larger chain stores, supporting mom and pop operations.

I would say I boycott foreign cars, but if I were rich, I would go out and buy an Audi R8 (read: sex) first thing. I try to buy American when I can though.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
As others have said, I don't boycott any stores specifically; I just shop at local mom and pop stores whenever I can afford to. But hey, at least demons like Walmart provide jobs in really poor countries? For better or for worst, I guess that's a sort of wealth distribution in itself. . . Lose American jobs but send money to poorer countries? IDK how it works exactly, really.

As for boycotts I think are pointless, I (on principle) don't agree with boycotting a store based on what the CEO, say, does with his private business. For example, during prop 8 in California, my high school's Gay-Straight Alliance club was advocating for the boycotting of some movie theater because the CEO was sending a lot of money to the prop 8 movement. Well, whatever he does with his money is his. . . He doesn't represent the company. The thousands of employees are a more accurate representation than a single person.

Last edited by lndigo; 05-24-2010 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I boycott Kelloggs, because of what they did to Michael Phelps.
Yeah poor guy, they just destroyed him. I can't believe a company that makes so much money from products aimed at kids dropped him for "only" doing drugs. Anyway -

I boycott Exxon and now BP for their incompetence, arrogance and apathy which led to the destruction of untold amounts of our environment, wildlife etc. They sicken me.

I boycott veal because of the cruel treatment of calves in how its "made," although I hear this is getting better.

I boycott anything coming out of Philly and the town itself (not that that part was excatly hard anyway) because of paying that sub-human slime M Vick gobs of money to play a game when he should be in a dark cell somewhere, never to be seen again. In fact I boybott ever paying a penny for anything NFL related even though I love the sport for the same reason - or really for looking the other way not just about him but anyone similar (Ray Lews etc etc etc).

I boycott slum-mart for reasons already stated.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:14 PM

240 posts, read 537,492 times
Not a boycott per se, but I refuse to buy Heinz products due to the ownership. I'll never purchase a GMC vehicle due to their sorry business model and reliance on the taxpayers to survive, while airing false commercials about "paying off their debt early."

I also refuse to buy anything marketed by Ben and Jerry's, their support of cop killer Mumia is disgusting.

There are also too many actors, directors, and musicians to name here I will not support by buying their movies or music, due to their support of anti-American groups and causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates