Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 03:33 AM

23 posts, read 20,862 times

Advertisements

HA,ha,aha?
If I live thousand years I couldn't unswer this question. But let me think for a mille sec.,Oh, here I am back, thousand years later, and I still can not comprehand the posibilitys of the future.
Where am I, at this moment in time, I find it satisfactory. As for reincarnation, what do I care.
Let the new me wory. But there is something which
lasts forever. Its the gravity., which binds the
positive and negativ energy charge, to eventualy
create life, as it culs. Somewhere, the begining of
life is being created as we speak about how long is forever. Toughts like that are very natural
The true unswer is hidden in part of our brain which
creates imagination at the push of the button.
So, be very cerfuly what buttons you are pushing.
Sometimes you can get the, Bazinga!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
Since the origianl post seems to include both enviornmental, political and scientific aspects. . . Lets take them one by one:

The Singularity. . .this is the term used for what is more commonly called "the big bang". . . the explosion of "nothing" into "something". . . .we cannot know about the "nothing", so we have only the something, and what can be observed and deduced from the astrological timeline, to guide understanding in this area. Most of this appears to be, technically, beyond the understanding and intelligence level of the "average" man. . . but is interesting, none the less. . .Scientists from Carl Sagan to Michio Kaku seem to be both willing and capable of explaining this stuff to those of us without advanced degrees in physics.

Politics, and the future of the U.S. governmentaly: Your guess is as good as mine, but if I had to make one prediction, it would be that the U. S. will cease to be the world political leader in the forseeable future. .. perhaps 50 - 60 years. . . .we are making too many big mistakes, and failing to lead in those areas that will be critical to the future.

Enviornmentally: Again, hard to predict, but as most human beings, and most governmental organizations around the world tend to take a short term rather than a long term view, I will suppose that withing 200 years, this planet will be unfit for life. . . People may be able to create sealed enviornements, but things will be very much different than they are now.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 AM

442 posts, read 965,103 times
If I could have the soilent green option, okay I might---wait NO, I grew up in the 60's and 70's, if it could be then now---NO
My answer is NO

Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Living Forever = My Idea of Hell.

I never understood religion that promised "eternal life" Ick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
What makes gold more valuable than lead, or silver? Simple, scarcity or limited supply. Things that are in unlimited supply, carry little value.

The same thing applies to your life. It is the fact that your life is limited, that you have a certain period to live, and then you die (as opposed to living forever) that gives meaning and value to your life.

If you lived forever, it would be an absolute hell. Life would meaning nothing to you, it would stop being precious. After all, how many trillions of years can you endure before it is one horrid bore?

Wooster
IMO, anyone that wants to live forever is as crazy as Charles Manson. Looking at everything that happens in the universe, as well as on this planet, whatever "power" had "this" idea didn't intend on everlasting life. At least not in this form.

Do you remember where you came from? It's the same place you're going.

One of my biggest peeves of this life, besides ignorance, is having to sit on a toilet to release waste and then have to wipe. Really don't want to do that FOREVER. There has to be something better. There is something better.

I don't see any sense in the idea of perpetual madness. And the "human condition" is madness.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
In this particular existence/reality? No thanks. In another existence/realm/dimension/reality? Perhaps.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh, I see. Singularity is one of those cool-sounding words that has been used to mean different things in a lot of different disciplines.

Nevertheless, there is no getting around the likely cosmological singuarity, in which all matter will collapse into a single point, and a person who "lives forever" is not likely to survive that as a living person.
The universe will not collapse, read Stephen Hawkins, einstein was correct.... that is a different discussion.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Problem would be that those who are deemed to be "invaluable" to society would almost certainly, sooner or later, become drunk on the adulation of the masses and the power that would ensue. And we all know what power eventually does to those who hold it.
With the avilablility of information, no one person would be more valuable than the other. The whole idea is more minds solving more problems, and better results due to the access of better data..

Old 05-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
What makes gold more valuable than lead, or silver? Simple, scarcity or limited supply. Things that are in unlimited supply, carry little value.

The same thing applies to your life. It is the fact that your life is limited, that you have a certain period to live, and then you die (as opposed to living forever) that gives meaning and value to your life.

If you lived forever, it would be an absolute hell. Life would meaning nothing to you, it would stop being precious. After all, how many trillions of years can you endure before it is one horrid bore?

Wooster
Life should be a pursuit of life long learning. I am never bored, and the more I learn the more knowledge I seek....

Old 05-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Since the origianl post seems to include both enviornmental, political and scientific aspects. . . Lets take them one by one:

The Singularity. . .this is the term used for what is more commonly called "the big bang". . . the explosion of "nothing" into "something". . . .we cannot know about the "nothing", so we have only the something, and what can be observed and deduced from the astrological timeline, to guide understanding in this area. Most of this appears to be, technically, beyond the understanding and intelligence level of the "average" man. . . but is interesting, none the less. . .Scientists from Carl Sagan to Michio Kaku seem to be both willing and capable of explaining this stuff to those of us without advanced degrees in physics.

Politics, and the future of the U.S. governmentaly: Your guess is as good as mine, but if I had to make one prediction, it would be that the U. S. will cease to be the world political leader in the forseeable future. .. perhaps 50 - 60 years. . . .we are making too many big mistakes, and failing to lead in those areas that will be critical to the future.

Enviornmentally: Again, hard to predict, but as most human beings, and most governmental organizations around the world tend to take a short term rather than a long term view, I will suppose that withing 200 years, this planet will be unfit for life. . . People may be able to create sealed enviornements, but things will be very much different than they are now.
It has nothing to do with the big bang, it is technical singularity I am describing.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
IMO, anyone that wants to live forever is as crazy as Charles Manson. Looking at everything that happens in the universe, as well as on this planet, whatever "power" had "this" idea didn't intend on everlasting life. At least not in this form.

Do you remember where you came from? It's the same place you're going.

One of my biggest peeves of this life, besides ignorance, is having to sit on a toilet to release waste and then have to wipe. Really don't want to do that FOREVER. There has to be something better. There is something better.

I don't see any sense in the idea of perpetual madness. And the "human condition" is madness.
I have a very different view of life when compared to your statement... My view is from this earth, the smells, good or bad, the dependencies (yes , one being excrement) and how it all comes full circle. I like the human condition, and I seek to understand it. What if some "purpose", such as the quest for all absolute truths ( or as close as we possibly can come) made you feel like living forever????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates