Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Can you point me to a reference on what the he** you're talking about here?
A big hearty Laugh @ blowing up the moon .. god this is insane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do we have any biologists on City-Data?

My question is if we totally pollute our world;s oceans, as we seem determined to do, can the human species survive?

I know we're all inter-connected, but how would the destruction of the oceans and its creatures directly affect our own survival?
He is not on City-Data, or anywhere else on the planet anymore, but Jacques Cousteau repeatedly made it very clear that the future of humanity depends upon the future of the oceans. I don't think you're going to find a better authority.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: we are all in the same boat."

Homepage | Cousteau

Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,031,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He is not on City-Data, or anywhere else on the planet anymore, but Jacques Cousteau repeatedly made it very clear that the future of humanity depends upon the future of the oceans. I don't think you're going to find a better authority.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: we are all in the same boat."

Homepage | Cousteau
Cousteau was not the world's best authority, he was the world's most visible and charismatic authority. His livelihood depended on people believing the truth of what he represented, and the fact that his case was very convincing is not proof that it was very right.

This is not to say that he was wrong, but only that you need to be careful to not let the mass media's profit motive choose your authorities for you.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Do we have any biologists on City-Data?

My question is if we totally pollute our world;s oceans, as we seem determined to do, can the human species survive?

I know we're all inter-connected, but how would the destruction of the oceans and its creatures directly affect our own survival?
Yea, but I hope you don't like seafood. The majority of humanity lives in coastal areas too, so it would be bad for them.

It's probably happened before...One theory for the creation of oil is that huge areas of the prehistoric oceans became anoxic, without currents and unable to support life other than microscopic organisms. Life went on of course, and the anoxic waters trapped huge amounts of carbon dioxide which eventually made the planet a cooler place, altered the "recipe" of the atmosphere and made the world more suitable to mammalian organisms.

Anoxic event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the morale of the story is we'll just ruin it for ourselves, but other creatures will evolve to benefit from the changes.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Naw, I don't recall well enough to 'prove' man was thinking to blow up the moon, but the ideas at that time were to waste it and settle the tides, which somehow would create a more temperate weather for earth.

Now I might be dumber than a box of clams, but I am not about to make that sort of idea up. If you want to hunt start with Nasa.

At that time I didn't like the idea, and if it was the idea for now I still wouldn't like it.

And while you may consider me a fool, which i can be, I sort of consider modern man a fool as well, so everyone gets equal in being a fool if you ask me. The main difference is I allow my self to be a fool, do you?

But yes there was a time maybe in the late 70's mid 80's where I think it was NASA that indeed wanted to blow up the moon.

Man is water, with no water there is no man.... I hope I don't live so long to see water leave Earth, but if it does somehow happen, we will all be in the same boat and right out of water. There will be a day when this does happen, but no one alive now will see it.

I ran a little google, and found a part of the story here
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread271723/pg1

another
http://www.unexplainable.net/artman/...cle_1787.shtml

These are after when i first heard of this lunarcy

But I didn't make it up, I just wish I was that smart.

See!
.................................................. .................................................. ............................
Stabilizing our Weather by Destroying the Moon

A University professor has a moonstruck solution to the Earth's
weather problems. He wants to blow up the moon - or at least send
it somewhere else.

"It's the only way to rid the world of scorching deserts and artic
winters," says Professor Alexander Abian, a mathematician at the
University of Iowa. He claims that by getting rid of the moon, the
Earth will then be able to shift into a "more desirable orbit."

The suggestion which has been greeted with hoots and hollers from
the world's scientific community, has been presented by the 65-year
old Armenian-born expert to the American government.

Abian suggests strategically placed hydrogen bombs on the Earth's
satellite can either blow it apart, or send it careening into outer
space, maybe even into the sun. It all depends where you put the
charges, he says.

"We've been held hostage by the moon for 5 million years, and we've
been subjected to violent extremes in weather, not to mention that
the planet is slowly becoming a desert.

"It's time for a change." The change would make our weather less
extreme, turn our deserts into fertile farm land, and make the north
and south polar regions livable.

But other scientists disagree, suggesting the professor might be
moonstruck. "If you lose the moon, you LOSE THE TIDES. And if you
melt the polar caps, you're going to flood the seacosts of every
continent," one scientist explains.

Another climate expert says blowing up the moon would turn Earth
into "a bleak, seasonless planet, not to mention the fact that we
would lose the tides."

British astronomer Patrick Moore suggests Professor Abian "must be
as nutty as several fruitcakes."

Famed romance writer Barbara Cartland offers the best argument
against Abian's plan. Without moonlight, she says, love would flee
the Earth. "People long for romance and no professor should be
allowed to rob them of it," she says.

Page 1 more ANYONE ?????

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 05-03-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 AM

3,788 posts, read 5,335,473 times
Killing plant and animal life in the oceans is the not the same as killing the oceans, right? There will still be those big bodies of water. Thus, the climate will not change that much. Most people think of animal life as those big and cute ones: dolphins, whales, tuna, and Orca, but in fact, phytoplankton, diatoms, and other tiny little critters are more important. Who sheds a tear for them??

I will.....

Okay, I feel better now.

The small stuff matters because they are the carbon sinks; i.e., take up CO2 from the air and, when they die, carry the C down to the bottom to await the next uplift session as limestone.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,638,415 times
No. We are literally biting the hand which feeds us literally and figuratively.

Ocean & Earth System - NASA Science

Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Cousteau was not the world's best authority, he was the world's most visible and charismatic authority. His livelihood depended on people believing the truth of what he represented, and the fact that his case was very convincing is not proof that it was very right.

This is not to say that he was wrong, but only that you need to be careful to not let the mass media's profit motive choose your authorities for you.
They didn't. I can read what he wrote and judge for myself. I never watched the TV show--at the time it was on, I had little interest. I was first impressed with what he had to say in an interview given near the end of his life regarding how the condition of our oceans affect the entire planet.

I do remember watching the Alcyone sailing down the Hudson back in the 1980's when it was new.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Then what, really, is your point? Can't you tell the difference between personal conviction and genius and profit motive? Do you think Steve Irwin was soley motivated by the lust for money? Sometimes you guys on the other side try so hard to make a point that you lose all your humanity in the process. A lot of the time, in fact.

H

Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
What is the average IQ of the United States, I wonder. If all our intellectual heavy lifting must be done by people born elsewhere and naturalized in we are snookered, do you know that? Bush I had all kinds of advisors telling him about AGW but he dismissed it as 'bad science'. Had Bush I himself been possesed of a European intelligence he would not have needed advisors to tell him about AGW he would have known it for himself and instead of dismissal the information would warrant swift, concerted action and we would be more than a decade ahead of where we are now in formulating a strategy. America is going to pay dearly for its cultivation of a culture of antipathy towards phlegmatism and pragmatism.

I shall spell it out. The op's question is not a literal "what will we do if there aren't 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000,000 gallons of ocean anymore?" The question is: with all of the medical wase, nuclear waste, industrial waste, illegal waste, hazardous waste and overfishing, overharvesting and poaching of endangered wildlife going on in our oceans will this not ultimately be detrimental to mankind? I believe the answer is: yes.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates