Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

So I have a question...I was watching some real estate shows about high dollar properties. And most of the people buying were in the entertainment industry or manufacturing or dealt high dollar real estate themselves. It made me think...

Why is it ok to make a ton of money if you are affiliated with entertainment, making a cool product, owning restaurants/hotels, making video games, or buying/selling real estate (basically what can be considered luxury items and not necessities of life), and it's not cool to make a lot of money for providing services and making products that people really need like being a doctor, pharmaceutical production, etc?
In fact, people seem to get really bent out of shape about it.

That seems a little backwards...or does it reflect our priorities as a society?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 12:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So I have a question...I was watching some real estate shows about high dollar properties. And most of the people buying were in the entertainment industry or manufacturing or dealt high dollar real estate themselves. It made me think...

Why is it ok to make a ton of money if you are affiliated with entertainment, making a cool product, owning restaurants/hotels, making video games, or buying/selling real estate (basically what can be considered luxury items and not necessities of life), and it's not cool to make a lot of money for providing services and making products that people really need like being a doctor, pharmaceutical production, etc?

I would say so. As another example, look at what professional athletes make and we support it because we buy the high priced tickets to see them play, yet we complain about the cost of things we really need, like healthcare. The one difference though is that not all of us go to the games or buy the tickets to see the entertainers, etc. At some point, however, we will most likely ALL need the doctor or the drugs. Yeah...kinda backwards I would say.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:

Indeed. We value least those who are most valuable to society.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:

Its perception of the medical industry.

People are being charged 2,000 dollars to visit an ER for a fever, on Sunday when there are no doctors offices open. Why?

They instantly think that the doctors are getting paid to much, or that anyone who is associated with the medical industry is getting paid to much money.

Wages are supposed to be based on the free market, when wages are getting based on insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies ideas of what they should be.

What happened to the small town doctor, where you could walk in with a sick child, hand them 30 bucks, they take a quick look at them, prescribe a medicine, and you leave? Today they have to have receptionists, nurses, blood work, x rays, mri's, and a plethora of other stuff that you probably didn't need.

Now, where do we draw the line on cutting back on certain procedures, I don't know. Most parents with a sick child want everything that can be checked, checked. Perhaps we should educate the public, that there is nothing a doctor can do for the flu, or a head cold. Just self medicate and get over it.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 AM

Yes, Memphis, most expensive overtesting and overmedicating is because of patient expectation and defensive medicine. Good point.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, Memphis, most expensive overtesting and overmedicating is because of patient expectation and defensive medicine. Good point.
Yep,

Parents expecting antibiotics for viral infections has not only increased the cost of said antibiotics, but its also decreased their effectiveness. That causes pharmaceutical companies to develop new, more expensive antibiotics, which people still demand when going to the doctor.

Doctors are to blame for this to, if they would just tell people to suck it up and deal with it, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in.

Of course on that same note, if doctors would quit telling people its ok to come to the doctor for every little thing, the demand wouldn't be there, and prices would drop also.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yep,

Parents expecting antibiotics for viral infections has not only increased the cost of said antibiotics, but its also decreased their effectiveness. That causes pharmaceutical companies to develop new, more expensive antibiotics, which people still demand when going to the doctor.

Doctors are to blame for this to, if they would just tell people to suck it up and deal with it, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in.

Of course on that same note, if doctors would quit telling people its ok to come to the doctor for every little thing, the demand wouldn't be there, and prices would drop also.
Um, if a doc says to suck it up and deal with it, they get complaints and fewer patients. Then same patients go see a doctor that will give them what they want.

Also, most docs do not want to see patients with b.s. problems...it wastes everyone's time and resources.

But that's not what we're talking about on this thread...

Old 05-30-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Um, if a doc says to suck it up and deal with it, they get complaints and fewer patients. Then same patients go see a doctor that will give them what they want.

Also, most docs do not want to see patients with b.s. problems...it wastes everyone's time and resources.
True,

but reform has got to start somewhere.

And, the Hippocratic Oath states to first, do no harm.

Those doctors who are seeing patients and giving them antibiotics for no reason, are, in my mind, doing harm.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
True,

but reform has got to start somewhere.

And, the Hippocratic Oath states to first, do no harm.

Those doctors who are seeing patients and giving them antibiotics for no reason, are, in my mind, doing harm.
I'm not going to argue with you any more about this because it's not the focus of the thread. If your livelihood were threatened by lawyers who always ask first, "Why didn't you do xyz?" and patients moving on to other docs because they didn't get their way, cute little platitudes like that don't go very far. I'm not saying each doc isn't responsible for educating their patients appropriately; a lot of them don't want to hear about it and will get really, really pissed off. Again, most docs will do their best to avoid wasting resources and handing out abx, but it's not as cut and dry as you'd make it seem.

Last edited by stan4; 05-30-2010 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 02:51 PM

106 posts, read 267,618 times
Quote:

Yes, our priorities as a society are completely screwed. The professions that may do the most good for the world are dealt a hand of "just enough"...it's not just the doctors, but teachers, nurses, police officers anyone that you would really need in a crisis is paid minimal. But if you desire botox, plastic surgery and anything in the world that is not life sustaining gets big bucks. It's similar to our Illinois government having the majority of the state education fund going to the "administration" rather than to the schools directly, or to the students. We actually cancel thier extracuriccular activities just so someone can tell somebody, to tell somebody, who tells somebody, who informs the principle, who makes the teachers teach the childern on the plan. Or and lets not forget the several people needed somewhere far away that decides what Timothy Hayes in the South side of chicago in 3rd needs to learn to pass a standardized test. So, with all that is it a chance for things to get better. Well theres a chance in everything. But I gotta say as much as our society parades those top entertaining occupations. I don't see the desire in the children growing to want anything other that what is shown as "successful". I cringed when people see my boys and how athletic they are and say that they are going to make me alot of money (one in basketball the other in football.) Lord knows that I want them to do what makes them happy. But I would be far more proud if they didn't ride thier athletic abilities and really became something like a scientists, physician....Something that is truly measured not by how much they are liked. How they played one game to the next but that their whole life can change something in someone elses. I one that believes that we are meant to make a difference in more than just our own and we should be aware and aknowledge the effect we have in others lives. Anyway...Got off topic. But as I started Yes, it does reflect that the majority of society has its priorities out of wack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates