Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you take something that belongs to me without my consent and without just legal cause, it is theft.
No it's not. Read the definition. It is only theft if I deprive you of the use or benefit of it. In other words, it has to be something that you had or could have use or benefit of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 01:13 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,852 times
No. Taking DNA would be fine for some crimes but a waste of time and money for most others.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
Why not, I think its would be a good idea. Heck they should have samples of newborns.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
No. Taking DNA would be fine for some crimes but a waste of time and money for most others.
Simply taking a cheek swab and storing it takes almost no time or money at all. It would then be available for future analysis, if needed.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
Absolutely. Except, the fact is, DNA testing is extremely expensive and very much backed up. I think the idea will work, if/when costs come down and testing, etc becomes easier and more simplified.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Like fingerprints...should we take DNA swabs from all people arrested in the US? I believe some states collect the DNA from sex offenders and some felones. But why not all arrestees? Lots of crimes could be solved and innocent people could be spared jail time. So why the opposition? Are we moving in that direction?
No, DNA should not be collected as a matter of arrest procedure. Once an individual is actually charged with a crime that is the proper time to have an individual submit to DNA collection. Before the actual charges a court order for DNA collection from a suspect as part of an investigation should be the continuing standard.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM

178 posts, read 540,420 times
I see the cost is estimated at $1500 for criminal testing purposes. if you take a swab at the time of arrest and the person arrested is later put on trial for a serious offense, what is $1500 compared to the cost of a trial dragging on for lack of good (non-refutable) evidence?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac Farm View Post
I see the cost is estimated at $1500 for criminal testing purposes. if you take a swab at the time of arrest and the person arrested is later put on trial for a serious offense, what is $1500 compared to the cost of a trial dragging on for lack of good (non-refutable) evidence?
Exactly! Maybe more people need to watch ID on cable station. I don't care if you want my DNA for my driver's license. I haven't done anything to worry about giving it for the purpose of maintaining the law, I would gladly give it. Maybe then they could find more people who are posing as someone else with false ID's. The cable shows highlight criminals stopped for simple crimes that they have NO IDEA is a murder, rapist, bank robber, whatever. If there is some crime scene out there and DNA is on file, you are arrested and your DNA is run thru the system...maybe we could get society back on track. It costs more chasing them and allowing them to run amuck than it is to keep DNA on file and capture some of these individuals. If you haven't done anything criminal, it shouldn't worry you.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Why not, I think its would be a good idea. Heck they should have samples of newborns.
I second that, every baby born should have their DNA on file. It can only harm the guilty, and may save the innocent..
There is no downside to having everyone's DNA on file, unless you are a bad guy...

Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,666 times
Yes. DNA samples... what is there to fear? Lets do it as a deterent for crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates