Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,656,073 times

Advertisements

LONDON, July 17 (UPI) -- The replacement of traditional cork stoppers in wine bottles by screw-cap tops is destroying forests and animal habitats, ecologists claim.

Cork suppliers and environmentalists say the change is threatening the 5 million acres of cork forests across Portugal, Spain, North Africa and Italy that are sustained through industry management, The Daily Telegraph reported Friday.

Screw-caps seen as threat to environment - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM

269 posts, read 784,678 times
There is some twisted logic to this argument...

Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
It would seem the cork flooring industry, among others, would help continue the demand for this renewable resource. I've seen plenty of wines with the plastic "corks" as well. Why did they leave these out of the article?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM

23,619 posts, read 70,547,084 times
Whenever I see the words "ecologists claim" I get ready for fairy tales of complaints and idiotic claims. I'm ready for an article like this one:

Newsline Sacramento:

Ecologists claim ecologists are damaging to the environment.

In a recent double duck blind study by the state of California, the study itself was found to be disruptive to the mating of ducks, and a ban on further studies is being promoted by the grassroots "Give a *uck, Save a Duck" society.

Broad legislation has been introduced in Washington, Oregon and California giving protected birds the same rights as humans and corporations, providing retirement benefits for older fowl, protecting Wild Duck, loons and turkeys from further studies that disrupt the resting and mating of any loon or turkey in state government. The election of the first waterfowl representative is expected within the next two mating seasons, with funding for the effort by the goose that laid the golden egg. In anticipation of this, California proposition 12, introduced by Mr. Gage, proposes moving hunting season dates to October 1st through November 3rd, and broadening the species hunted to include unlimited bag limits on all birdbrained representatives in government. A counter proposition sponsored by PETA would eliminate both the hunting season and all humans in government, converting state government to a Parliament of the Birds.

A representative of one of the largest employers in the state, a Mr. Donald Duck, commented "It seems a little daffy to me, and I note that illegal chickens would be given state services, adding to the cost, but I'm all for a Parliament of the Birds. It worked before, and there is no reason to think it can't work now." Local chickens attending his speech clucked in assent. One was heard to comment to another, "This is great, and we've only scratched the surface. I can't wait to get out of group housing and cross the road."

Pigeons at the state house were cooing at the news, and riots broke out as they left their normal perches on statues and began targeting representatives that they wanted to oust from office. Future elections in the state are destined to bring the idea of "mud-slinging" to a whole new level.

Wiley Coyote was seen to be livid at the prospect of a bird controlled government, and attempted to write and hold up signs expressing his displeasure, but was struck from above by a giant metal trapazoid labeled "16 tons." The perpetrator was not caught on camera, but a "Meep meep was faintly heard from a nearby receding cloud of dust.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
^^^^ funny stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living