Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Home wind turbines are not the same as a 80 meter Vestas V.90 3MW commercial turbine.
Yeah, I know. I was referring to a small wind (a.k.a. residential) wind turbine in my post. The noise it generated is exactly why I would not put one near my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 01:30 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,110 times
I am hyper-sensitive to noise and very susceptible to certain pitch ranges, and this factors in much more than decibels in my case. I've never had any issues with any of the large commercial turbines either pitch or decibel; but I have had some issues with some of the smaller residential ones. Knowing that certain pitches can make me dizzy and nauseated (regardless of whether they are loud or even audible -- subsonics screw me up big time), I visited several residences with different models installed so I could hear them running in real-world scenarios... thus I could eliminate the few that would be problematic from my list of potentials. One thing I did notice was that the turbines mounted to a house or other building were (much) louder than those mounted on anchored masts... I guess the hollow building acts like an amplifier for any vibrations? The loudest I ever heard was actually a windmill that drove a piston pump for the water well, not a turbine at all... and it was wooden.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,849,411 times
I wish we could move all the pro-wind farms right next to these turbines and they can tell me how great it is.... after a few month, I bet they complain up a storm... so when people complain about something that is causing them health problems, I wouldn't be dismissive about them... do wind farms kill birds and bats? Yes, but not to the degree that some people make them out... obviously ANY tall structure is going to kill birds (like the windows on houses)... the deaths are very small compared to natural predation but I wouldn't build a wind farm in an area with endangered birds...

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM

I think people who are apt to complain about things are going to complain no matter what... they'd complain in the flippin' Garden of Eden about the lack of clothes and restriction of apples.

Now I'm not saying that some people don't have legitmate complaints about wind farms or coal fired plants with regards to environmental and health impacts... just that most of the folks you hear complaining about them frequently would complain about anything for the simple sake of hearing themselves whine.

I've lived within a couple miles of a wind farm, a CAFO, a coal plant, and a paper mill... I know which ones I would chose and which ones I would complain about; but I'd take my complaints up with the people who could do something about it instead of just whining about it and harassing folks.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I am hyper-sensitive to noise and very susceptible to certain pitch ranges, and this factors in much more than decibels in my case. I've never had any issues with any of the large commercial turbines either pitch or decibel; but I have had some issues with some of the smaller residential ones. Knowing that certain pitches can make me dizzy and nauseated (regardless of whether they are loud or even audible -- subsonics screw me up big time), I visited several residences with different models installed so I could hear them running in real-world scenarios... thus I could eliminate the few that would be problematic from my list of potentials. One thing I did notice was that the turbines mounted to a house or other building were (much) louder than those mounted on anchored masts... I guess the hollow building acts like an amplifier for any vibrations? The loudest I ever heard was actually a windmill that drove a piston pump for the water well, not a turbine at all... and it was wooden.
Were you able to discern a noise difference between the horizontal and vertical turbines? If so, which had a less offensive effect on you?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Were you able to discern a noise difference between the horizontal and vertical turbines? If so, which had a less offensive effect on you?
Very slight difference on a mast, with the vertical being slightly lower pitch. Neither were particularly offensive. On a structure, both produced more vibration with the vertical having lower pitch (nausea) and the horizontal having a higher pitch (headache). Both had an audible squeak, but at different wind speeds and only noticeable when lower to the ground (20' or less). The verticals have a mild basic whoosh sound, and the horizontals have a mild basic ssshh sound which was only really noticeable when it was extremely quiet without any other background noise.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 AM

Thanks missingall4seasons! Great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living