Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,759 times

Advertisements

This is my first post and I am trying to get information on Wind Turbines. It was just announced that a company named First Wind is proposing a wind farm about 1 mile away from our lake and will be as close as a half mile to other lakes in the area. We went to a public meeting, but many of us felt we didn't get clear answers to our questions on the ability for the grid to use this power, who pays for any upgrades, noise levels, bird and bat populations, environmental issues, safety to hunters and recreational users, light flicker, flash and strobe etc. I would appreciate your feedback, as I need to bring objective data and information back to our association by August 31st. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
I don't have specific answers to your questions but if you look up the Buffalo Ridge Wind Turbines in Minnesota you should be able to find your answers. That particular program has been around for about 10 years so they should have some good information for you.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Ask about noise from it and how far it can travel.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejo View Post
This is my first post and I am trying to get information on Wind Turbines. It was just announced that a company named First Wind is proposing a wind farm about 1 mile away from our lake and will be as close as a half mile to other lakes in the area. We went to a public meeting, but many of us felt we didn't get clear answers to our questions on the ability for the grid to use this power, who pays for any upgrades, noise levels, bird and bat populations, environmental issues, safety to hunters and recreational users, light flicker, flash and strobe etc. I would appreciate your feedback, as I need to bring objective data and information back to our association by August 31st. Thanks!
The wind company will pay for all of that including possible lawsuits against light flicker, etc... HOWEVER, what they pay will mean an increase in the price of electricity for you... that means YOU pay for everything.. maintenance, noise, lawsuits, etc.. the company passes the costs onto you and collect profits.. however they do have to petition to the board for increasing the electricity rate and will cite "maintenance" and "upgrade" costs... it will almost assuredly get passed and you will pay... but at least its spread over a lot of other people... in life nothing is free and nothing stays at the same price over the years except maybe your wage...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Wind is most economically collected in big batches with big machinery. This costs money, although not that much more than a new coal fired facility, and the pesky investors expect a return on their investment. You folks seem to like private capitalism and private ownership of utilities, this is the cost of that preference.

PS - don't bother asking Bovinacowhateswindturbines. Her screen name says it all.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejo View Post
1) Do the have an "interconnect agreement"
2) Have they completed the required transmission approval work
3) Have they completed an EIS (enviromental impact study)
4) Have they signed a PSA (Power sales agreement)
5) DO the have a firm equipment order.

If the answer is no to any of these they're just trying to lock in the land for wind rights..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living