Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,977,454 times

Advertisements

The term "organic" is only regulated for food items. Since the surge in green and organic demand has opened a whole new market to exploit, many companies are falsely labeling their personal care products as "organic" because there is minimal legislation in place to prevent them from doing so for these "cosmetic" products.

In an effort to help inform other consumers about these bogus organic body care and beauty care products, The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) has started a "Coming Clean Campaign" and urges consumers who are tired of seeing these mislabeled products being sold on store shelves to download, print and affix "Panic! This product is not organic." stickers (Avery 48160 address labels) on the offending products in an effort to maintain organic integrity standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:29 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,905,780 times
i am aware that "organic" body care products are not necessarily organic... but could not imagine going into the store and putting stickers on products that i do not own. surely this is illegal.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,051,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
i am aware that "organic" body care products are not necessarily organic... but could not imagine going into the store and putting stickers on products that i do not own. surely this is illegal.

Absolute loonies. Defacing private property ring a bell?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,069,813 times
I find that nothing is organic except what you grow or produce. Quit complaining about what companies try and sell you and focus on what you produce yourself.

nusta

Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM

Apparently it's not illegal to put these stickers on "fraudulent" products because it isn't destruction or defacement of property. Now, if the product really were organic and they got stickered, then that would be libel and would be illegal; but since they aren't organic the sticker statement isn't untrue (so no libel). And goods on a store shelf for sale aren't considered private property either, just like your garbage sitting out at the curb isn't private property anymore.

I can kinda see the issue -- if the government isn't holding these companies to labeling standards, and the companies aren't voluntarily correcting their labels, then that just leaves the consumers to correct the labeling. I think if people care enough to do the stickers, they'd probably care enough to picket a store that carried them... which is worse for a store owner, some innocuous stickers or a mob of chanting boycotters?

If it weren't personal products or "organics" that were being mislabeled... let's say it was clothing that was labeled "latex-free" and wasn't, would that change anyone's opinion on this tactic?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,051,119 times
No, you picket or protest the company labeling the products falsely, the Secretary of State's office as well as the Consumer welfare agencies in the state where the product is being sold. Why punish the shop owner? They have no control over labeling. And yes, if you don't own something and you intentionally and willfully alter its appearance, you have defaced it.

Example: Grocery store has products on the shelf past their printed expiration date. I don't deface the products with warnings of my own written upon it; rather, I bring the products' expiration to the attention of the store manager and/or stocking clerk.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 PM

I'm not one for picketing or protesting myself, more of a boycott person myself. Since I'm out in the boonies and don't use commercial personal care products anyway this issue isn't high prio for me... the bears don't care if I'm wearing deodorant or my hair is shiny and bouncy.

I'm sure that OCA's got a legal team reviewing all their campaigns, so hopefully they aren't advocating that people do something that is actually illegal. Defacement laws can get a little funny in that gray area between private property and public domain.

I just thought it was an interesting tactic considering that so many products aren't what they claim to be despite the Truth in Advertising regulations.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:26 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,985,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
The term "organic" is only regulated for food items. Since the surge in green and organic demand has opened a whole new market to exploit, many companies are falsely labeling their personal care products as "organic" because there is minimal legislation in place to prevent them from doing so for these "cosmetic" products.

In an effort to help inform other consumers about these bogus organic body care and beauty care products, The Organic Consumers Association (OCA) has started a "Coming Clean Campaign" and urges consumers who are tired of seeing these mislabeled products being sold on store shelves to download, print and affix "Panic! This product is not organic." stickers (Avery 48160 address labels) on the offending products in an effort to maintain organic integrity standards.
Good way to get put in jail.

You can't label something without proper procedure. There is a right way and a wrong way. If you have a problem, seek legislation to combat those who are falsely representing something, but entering a retailers store and labeling their products puts not only them libel for your actions, but you as well.

Seriously, leave the "I will take everything into my own hands and do as I like" at the door. Do things the right way or people will label you as a freak antagonistic and your efforts will be for nothing.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM

So, if you went into a store and saw one of these stickers on a product that you were buying because you thought it was healthy and good for you, would you think twice about buying it? Would you be offended that someone did such a thing? Or would you be glad that someone took the time to warn you?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,985,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
So, if you went into a store and saw one of these stickers on a product that you were buying because you thought it was healthy and good for you, would you think twice about buying it? Would you be offended that someone did such a thing? Or would you be glad that someone took the time to warn you?
What I think is that if something concerns me so much, I look up to which a product actually is. I don't believe everything a label says, I check up on it if I think it is important enough.

The problem here is that it isn't your property and you have no right to violate the store or manufactures product because you think it will be helpful for others.

You are taking matters into your own hands, you do not have the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living