Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 08:11 AM

67 posts, read 345,450 times

Advertisements

I've searched online, and people say that plastic chair mats can be recycled, but I don't know where. All the local recycling places take only plastic that has a number 1 to 5 in the recycle triangle on it. The cracked chair mat does not have anything like that.

Can anyone suggest a type of place that might recycle chair mats so that I have ideas of where to look locally?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
When you say "recycle" I assume that you mean someone who will take the mat and, with a subsidy from the government, will waste three times its value on making it into something else so that you don't feel guilt about having it end up in the landfill where it belongs?

If you really want to recycle it, cut it up into 4" squares and use them under your table legs to protect the carpet. The carpet will last longer, you won't need to replace it as soon and you will have actually made a positive contribution to the environment as opposed to the posing you are looking for.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:30 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
I've never even heard of a "plastic chair mat". Can't be of help. Suggest the OP call his/her local recycling centers.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
By "plastic chair mat" I'm assuming that you mean the mats you put on carpeted floors underneath a desk chair (normally the rolling kind)?

If so, and it's in reasonably good condition, you may be able to give it away on Freecycle or the Habitat for Humanity Home Stores for someone else to use. If it's tatty, you may still be able to give it away on Freecycle as salvage material that someone could re-purpose (they make excellent temporary stepping "stones" during mud season).

Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
By "plastic chair mat" I'm assuming that you mean the mats you put on carpeted floors underneath a desk chair (normally the rolling kind)?

If so, and it's in reasonably good condition, you may be able to give it away on Freecycle or the Habitat for Humanity Home Stores for someone else to use. If it's tatty, you may still be able to give it away on Freecycle as salvage material that someone could re-purpose (they make excellent temporary stepping "stones" during mud season).

Re-purposing is the only environmentally responsible recycling of any plastic. Everything else is energy and resource consumptive which is by definition anti-green.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
Plastic floor mats, office or vehicle, without the grippies make good replacements for the flaps on pet doors... or if, like me, your dog is bigger than most manufactured doors and you have to make your own. My sister's neighbor uses one with the grippies in the door she made for her pygmy goats -- they get a free grooming everytime they go in or out of the barn I think cats would love a squre with grippies attached to a corner so they can rub/scratch their cheeks. All those things can get expensive to buy, but could easily and cheaply be made from a repurposed plastic floor mat.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 AM

130 posts, read 148,264 times
Plastic floor mats -- the kind often used under desk chairs at home or at work -- usually are made from polypropylene or flexible PVC tiles, which can be recycled. Large mats, however, can block the sorting screens at the recycling facilities. If the mats can be safely cut into pieces that fit easily into the blue bin, they can be recycled. Mats that cannot go in the blue bin and that are too damaged for donation can be picked up free of charge through bulky-item pickup, but they will not be recycled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living