Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Advertisements

Diaper service is worth its price. Like braces or psychotherapy. If you got the dough, do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Heck Wilson, if I had the dough, I'd have someone come in and do *all* my laundry and cleaning

Old 10-10-2010, 02:20 AM

54 posts, read 111,339 times
In responce to the OP - I think we're starting to see 'green' as vogue.
Ive met plenty of mamas who go on about how eco-friendly they are, how they just spent $60 on a unbleached hemp shirt for their kid or $50 on their sling to help with their attachment parenting...these same mamas get a blank look when I mention second hand stores, cloth diapers, recycling clothes, etc.
Green/eco is the 'thing' atm. They want the image.. (my eldest calls them ecoposers)

The plastic diaper debate kinda gets to me..seems like a sign of the times where the focus is on the individuals convienience rather than the greater good.

Some stats-
~The average american baby will use 6,000-10,000 diapers.
~Americans throw away 570 diapers per second. That's 49 million diapers per day.
~It takes around 80,000 pounds of plastic and over 200,000 trees a year to manufacture the disposable diapers for American babies alone
~The manufacture and use of disposable diapers amounts to 2.3 times more water wasted than cloth
~ Washing a full load of cloth diapers is comparable to the toilet being flushed 4-5 times a day for a week.

~Conventional Baby Diapers contain 2 chemicals of concern.
The first is Dioxin. When manufacturing the diaper one of the ingredients they use is bleach, and bleach creates Dioxin
The EPA considers Dioxin to be amongst the most toxic carcinogen.
Dioxin is banned in most countries except the United States.
2nd- TBT (tributyltin). Tributyltin is another toxic chemical that has been linked to hormonal disturbances, and harm to the immune system.

All that said..Ive breastfed and cloth diapered all 7 of my kids. I use recycled greywater for the first rinse and wash, fresh water for the rinse. (maybe 2 sinkfulls of water each day)

Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 PM

24 posts, read 61,103 times
I don't think many would relish the thought of hand-washing cloth diapers!
Nor is it probably a healthy idea....

And washing machines use a lot of power.

So unless you have a solar, wind power, or other green set-up, you're going to pollute.

Disposing of plastic diapers means dumping them in the trash. Then the issue is of how much space diapers displace in the sanitation trucks, and you must consider the percentage of total costs, in terms of energy, of operating such vehicle, as well as any other vehicles the diapers will be carried in on their way to the landfill.

Considering this, plastic does seem less environmentally taxing, as diapers do not take up much space/weight on trucks/trains/barges.....

Of course, there's the cost of manufacture for each, water-related issues, chemical contamination, and everything else other board members cited above, and possibly more!

Taking all factors into account, shouldn't it be possible to arrive at a conclusion based in mathematics??

Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 PM

54 posts, read 111,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandraNY View Post
Considering this, plastic does seem less environmentally taxing, as diapers do not take up much space/weight on trucks/trains/barges.....

Of course, there's the cost of manufacture for each, water-related issues, chemical contamination, and everything else other board members cited above, and possibly more!

Taking all factors into account, shouldn't it be possible to arrive at a conclusion based in mathematics??
Are you kidding me? Plastic diapers are enviromentally better because they take up less space?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living