Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM

450 posts, read 5,020,968 times

Advertisements

I need to buy a lot of rugs for the house. It seems they mainly come in the following types:

1. Wool
2. Cotton
3. Polyester
4. Polypropyelne

I have been staying away from wool for the reason that I've read it can often have mothproofing chemicals on it, which I really want to stay away from. I've also stayed away from polypropylene because according to a carpet professional I talked to, this smells very strongly b/c of the material.

Any thoughts on this? It's difficult to find cotton or polyester rugs.

Or any other materials that are good? We have wood floors that need to be covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:34 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Just get a bunch of free cotton clothes that nobody wants, tear long strips of fabric and crochet a rag rug. It recycles clothes that nobody can fit into anymore or has rips and would otherwise go into the trash. It should not take very long to make a large one and could be done while listening to music or watching a movie. Since the fabric is older any toxic dyes etc would be long gone. You need a huge wooden crochet hook to do these.
My wife just saw me posting this and now she wants to make one. ~♥~

Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
You can get wool rugs that aren't treated with synthetic chemical mothproofing. Simple camphor (naturally occuring oil) repels moths just fine. If you look for certified organic wool, you'll probably find quite a few use natural or organic treatments to repel moths.

Cotton rag rugs are a good use of scrap/waste textile. Biggest problems with a lot of cotton is that it is also treated (non-orgnic cotton fields are heavily sprayed) and it doesn't have as strong a fiber as wool so can wear through more quickly. You may find yourself replacing your rugs more often.

Polyester is NO right off the bat, the chemicals and VOCs in the fiber and the backings are very high.

The newer polypro rugs, especially the ones that are specifically low-VOC, are a lot better than polyester... and many are now made from downscycled plastic pop bottles.

Another alternative, although maybe not greener definitely not worse, are spun fiberglass. These don't off-gas as badly as the polyester rugs normally do, are very durable, and are fire-resistant (wool & fiberglass are the only textiles approved for use in hearth rugs).

Old 12-24-2010, 10:20 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
Nothing cooler than a bamboo rug, and they are amazingly dureable!

Old 06-30-2016, 03:21 AM

130 posts, read 148,228 times
By their very nature, wool carpets and rugs are good when it comes to indoor environment. That's because wool, unlike synthetic fibers, rapidly absorbs common contaminants in indoor air like formaldehyde, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:31 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Also consider getting machine made rug not one made with child or slave labor, hand-knotted wool and some cotton rugs are made by children or slaves in 3rd world countries. However there is an association that puts a label on certain rugs assuring they are not made with child or slave labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living