Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:38 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm trying not to panic.
I've just rented a home and the landlord installed new carpeting.
This was unexpected and i didn't know that he was going to do this.
I'm highly sensitive to chemicals and do not want to expose myself or my dog to this toxic situation.
I'm about to write him a letter and inform him that i can't live with new carpeting and that had i known that he was going to install new carpet i would not have agreed to the rental and that if he wants me as a tenant he'll have to remove it.
I need to get some reassurance before i write to him that it is indeed the new carpet and not just the adhesive and/or certain latex backings that are toxic (as his wife insists).
I googled toxic carpet and have been reading up on this but can anyone just give me some extra assurance that it is the carpeting itself that is problematic?
I'm not trusting myself at the moment and need some more clarity.
Like i said, his wife insists that it's not the carpet itself (this is a cheap carpet by the way) but that it's the adhesive that is often used and she used staples and says that it's not a problem.
My instinct, nose and intuition (plus past experiences living with new carpet) disagree with her.
Thank you. Any feedback appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
I'm not sure I'm following you here.

There is typically a strong smell, for a couple days, after new carpet has been laid. If it is laid using pad and tack strips, you'll have the smell of the new pad and new carpet. If it is laid with adhesive, you'll have the smell of the new carpet as well as the adhesive.

What you are smelling and reacting to is probably the adhesive that is not yet fully cured. It'll be a bit stronger if it is not a latex adhesive.

On the other hand, the only place you're going to read about "toxic carpet" is from what I'd call kook-sites. Of course they're going to tell you that toxic carpet is killing thousands of people every year. Those folks have to have something to crusade about.

I'd suggest you relax. Open the windows. Let the house air out well. Hundreds of millions of people live with carpeting in houses and offices, and aren't dying from it.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
CoyoteSkye - ask your landlord's wife what brand and name the carpet is and then research the composition for yourself before assuming it's toxic. I recently needed to have carpet installed and had to be careful about VOCs, etc because I have chemical sensitivities myself. I did find many carpets that weren't toxic in themselves, but some of the webbing adhesives and padding did off-gas for several days... after which the VOC level went down well below concerning levels.

I would suggest that you open the windows to let your place air out, find somewhere to stay for a few days, and then return to see if it continues to be a problem. Don't just assume that the carpet is going to make you sick, see if you have any reactions first.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Omaha Rocks, sorry, but there are carpets that are "toxic" as well as adhesives and pads that are so.
People who are not sensitive to such things just don't realize how strongly someone with an off-kilter immune system can be affected, so I don't blame your scepticism.

Back in the 1980s, DW had a new carpet installed in her house in preparation for selling it. Neither she nor I could be in the house for more than ten minutes without getting severe headaches, stinging eyes, and all sorts of other problems. This was NOT a glue down carpet, so no adhesives were involved. It was literally a month before we could even enter, and we NEVER could have lived with that carpet.

My advice to coyoteskye, if she has documentation of her sensitivities, would be to force removal of the carpet or break the lease under the A.D.A. regulations. She might lose a deposit or have to employ an attorney, but the alternative of trying to live there could be MUCH MUCH worse, especially if her nose is telling her not to. She also needs to be aware of the possibility of paint odors, etc.

As you probably have figured out if you've read my other posts, I'm not a big fan of most "green" hype. For you to see me advocating this to coyoteskye, you have to know I have enough proof to back my comments up. I've known people who were constantly sick from trying to live in a brand-new house with carpet smell and other outgassing. It simply is NOT worth it to either the health or finances. Being unable to work or not being productive due to environmental factors can ruin a career.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Are you having symptoms?
Was there carpet before or hardwood/etc.?
If there was old carpet, I figure it would have had a lot of dirt, bacteria, germs, etc. - likely also the underpad. Depending on how old the old carpet was - it may have had chemicals which are not banned.
If it was carpet before, not hardwood, etc. you actually are probably better off.

Can certainly understand how the new carpet smell may affect you however.

Also see if it has Scotchguard. At the dealer where I used to take my car for repairs, the guys were talking about a client who was allergic to his new car - he broke out in hives everywhere that his skin touched the seat material. Turns out it was the Scotchguard. Don't know if Scotguard gives off fumes but another question worth asking.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:34 AM

466 posts, read 928,336 times
Formaldehyde is a chemical that emanates from new carpeting.

The only "Kooks" are the people that desperately to try and ignore the fact that the biggest carpet companies are also the biggest chemical companies. DuPont, Monsanto Etc.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,938 times
I worked briefly for a television station in NYC as a temp. I would be okay going to work. After about an hour, I would start feeling ill. My nose starting running and had occasional nose bleeds. After an hour after I left work, I would feel better and my nose would stop running. This went on for the 3 months assignment. I mentioned this to co-workers who worked full-time, permanently at the station. They were in agreement. They said that ever since the company installed the new carpeting 6 months ago, they all were having similar symptoms.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:36 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,861 times
We had carpet installed in one area that was a decorative pattern, the installer put it on our grass out front to measure & cut it......the carpet was on the grass for maybe 15 minutes, 2 days later the grass was DEAD in the exact shape of the carpet. We were told the toxicity of the carpet killed the grass. And this carpet is in our home........ I am angry.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:05 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,027 times
If you do have to live with new carpet, in addition to ventilating the room, vacuum. Constantly. We had this situation once when we moved into the apartment. I was happy they recarpeted, the unit really needed it, but the carpet they put in was just nasty, chemical wise. While it was annoying for me, I was really worried about my cat. Everyone we knew told us to open the place up and vacuum a lot. I have to say, the vacuuming really did seem to help.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:08 PM

263 posts, read 744,962 times
my vote is it's toxic. i don't have any carpeting in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living