Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM

166 posts, read 375,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I recycle so much that I wish we had pick up every week instead of every two weeks.
That's why I stopped recycling. I tried it once, and the soda / beer containers were festering in the summer heat for days - and my back entrance developed an unpleasant odor. Now I throw everything in the trash just to get rid of it.

Hopefully they come up with a more convenient recycling system in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 AM

18,502 posts, read 31,720,806 times
People don't recycle, mainly because it is a pain in the ass to sort and separate and think about what goes where, and do I have to clean it off?
It is just easier in our hectic lives to throw everything away in one pail.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:16 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,525,299 times
Some of us don't recycle because the municipal subsidies for recycling are based on weight and volume. The less stuff I put in the big green bin the less money my city wastes on recycling.

When cities pay money to cause recycling which money in excess of the cost of landfill tipping charges, then there is environmental damage. More electricity, fuel, materials are consumed to get to the same place (landfill capacity aside). Since landfill capacity is not a problem for the nest 10,000 years or so, I'll go with the garbage can.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 AM

42,006 posts, read 75,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post
That's why I stopped recycling. I tried it once, and the soda / beer containers were festering in the summer heat for days - and my back entrance developed an unpleasant odor. Now I throw everything in the trash just to get rid of it.

Didja ever think about rinsing out the containers?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,525,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Didja ever think about rinsing out the containers?
The correct answer to this is that there is actually a reason to conserve tap water and not plastic containers.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:33 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,235,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The correct answer to this is that there is actually a reason to conserve tap water and not plastic containers.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,640,647 times
We recycle but every time I drive by a 10,000 sq ft mansion or I see pictures of all those hotels in Vegas and the lights on all night etc., I wonder whether it really matters.... That's like conserving gas or buying a hybrid - great job but then you have the guy who I work for who has a boat that can carry up to 12,000 gallons of diesel - I once sat down and calculated that his one trip to France and back is equal to my three years of driving to work and back every day...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM

229 posts, read 440,736 times
My plastic bottles and aluminum cans from soft drinks get turned upside-down in the sink to drain the last few drops. Milk/cream containers are rinsed, with the plastic ones recycled and paper reserved for starting seeds for the garden. I'm fortunate to have a large garage where I can hold items until I'm ready to make the trip to one of the dozen or so drop off points around town.

If you choose to recycle, you will find it easier as you go along. If the choice is to not recycle, there are plenty of justifications you can find to back up your option.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,254,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRothschild View Post

You know, there's a lot that people can learn on here. My city has a poor and barely functioning recycle program, and we're nearly 400,000 population.

That aside, I'm going to read through this thread. Already I've seen your comment and nightcrawler's comment way back on page X. His complaint is the separation of recyclables. Your complaint is the time between pick-ups.

Recently I was talking with a friend about Tulsa's poor recycling program. This guy lives on the 16th floor of a high rise and doesn't recycle because of inconvenience.

1. Recycling needs to be convenient for people. Not everyone lives on the ground floor or has a garage to store recycables.
2. It needs to be timely.
3. People can benefit from outreach/education and that should be a component of a new program.
4. Incentives would encourage recycling.
5. It needs to be widespread. Recycle containers in all public places and not just at home. This increases the recycle load, thus increasing the small profits of recycling.
6. Pick-up of recycling needs to be timely. To do this there should be enough people participating to make timely pick-up cost beneficial.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 AM

104 posts, read 99,822 times
My boyfriend tried to get recycling bins in our cafeteria at school. It worked for about 2 weeks but the kids weren't taking care of the bins. They had to get rid of them. It's unfortunate but people just don't care sometimes unless it directly affects themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living