Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:42 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,253,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I REFUSE to recycle. I drive a gas guzzling SUV too. In fact, as I have said, I do all I can to ruin the environment, etc. I'm leaving the LARGEST carbon footprint I can behind.

Why? I am sick of you left wing liberals, telling me what too do. I eat red meat; not bean sprouts (and no, I am normal weight and normal blood pressure). You want the aluminum cans and bottles out of my garbage? Drag your butt over to my house and seperate it yourself. Has nothing to do with being lazy.

Has to do with: I DONT CARE. I'm sick of you people telling me what to think, how to think, and what to do. Its YOUR choice to recycle; its MY choice not too. If you would quit being so damn militant about it, you might get somewhere.

In fact, I think I might just go dump a load of garbage and that olde loveseat on the highway...

That's a heapin' load of attitude you're carrying around, boy. Just realize, as far as all of the evironmental issues, and there are many, changes are coming. The only thing constant is change. I hope you don't pop and artery as these changes happen. They are happening as we speak. Slowly, lightly, and often off the radar.

In some cases, the changes will be by enactments of new laws and regulations, others will be by individual choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,253,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Often because recycling is not cost effective. Is it really energy efficient or does the energy used to recycle exceed the production energy cost of a new product?

This "help the planet" is an emotional plea and really reads like the result of brainwashing. If the OP is going to state that recycling helps the planet she should back it up with some facts.

That said, I do recycle when possible but I am not anal retentive about it. Mostly I reduce and re-use. If I had to sort out my recyclables into individual bins I'd probably revolt against recycling all together.
It has much less to do with money than it has to do with landfill space, and the problems with landfills. People get too hung up on whether or not something is profitable. If ONLY counting dollars, then recycling has very little profit. If counting the external costs of landfill space saved, trash that doesn't get in the ocean currents, trash that never gets in the bellies of animals, trash that doesn't get in YOUR drinking water, (floatables or chemical) then you start to see the benefits.

"Help the planet" is a phrase that turns some people off. Why? I have no idea. Some probably associate the phrase with girls who don't shave their legs, or people who put value on things that are not easy to calculate, like mountains, streams healthy enough to support fish, and ecosystems healthy enough to support the plants and animals that make up that ecosystem.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:17 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,647,342 times
Quote:
Often because recycling is not cost effective. Is it really energy efficient or does the energy used to recycle exceed the production energy cost of a new product?

This "help the planet" is an emotional plea and really reads like the result of brainwashing. If the OP is going to state that recycling helps the planet she should back it up with some facts.

That said, I do recycle when possible but I am not anal retentive about it. Mostly I reduce and re-use. If I had to sort out my recyclables into individual bins I'd probably revolt against recycling all together.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that our resources are not going to last forever, and that our landfills are not bottomless

How long does it take for waste materials to decompose? « That Danny!

There's some data that you asked for.

Im glad you do recycle as much as possible, but whats with the "individual bins"??
We have 2 bins here, one for trash, one for recyclables.Its not hard and doesn't cost us any extra $$ as it is included in the water/trash bill.
I don't understand why some people just seem to hate the thought of helping the planet. We use much more resources than people did centuries ago, and make much more pollution. Even if your not on board with global warming it's obvious that we should all respect and take care of the earth.
Just imagine if our country had garbage heaps piling up like they do in Brazil, or trash just lining the streets like in India, or pollution (from coal) making us all sick like they are experiencing in China. I say thank God we have the means to be more ecologically advanced and financially able and do something positive for our land instead of purposely going out of our way to turn it into a wasteland.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,990,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
It has much less to do with money than it has to do with landfill space, and the problems with landfills. People get too hung up on whether or not something is profitable. If ONLY counting dollars, then recycling has very little profit. If counting the external costs of landfill space saved, trash that doesn't get in the ocean currents, trash that never gets in the bellies of animals, trash that doesn't get in YOUR drinking water, (floatables or chemical) then you start to see the benefits.

"Help the planet" is a phrase that turns some people off. Why? I have no idea. Some probably associate the phrase with girls who don't shave their legs, or people who put value on things that are not easy to calculate, like mountains, streams healthy enough to support fish, and ecosystems healthy enough to support the plants and animals that make up that ecosystem.
The mention of profits are yours, not mine. You failed to address the energy efficiency of recycling.

Your fear tactics are impressive however transparent. Since I live smack dab in the middle of the country and am part of the 15% of worldwide population that does not live within 100 miles of an ocean it is highly unlikely that any of my garbage ends up in the ocean. Maybe the 85% of the world's population living near the ocean should be more careful!

As for me, I do my part when it comes to Conservation and habitat creation. The environmentalists really need to get off their high horse and drop the attitude, IMO. That turns more people off than anything else.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:06 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,990,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that our resources are not going to last forever, and that our landfills are not bottomless

How long does it take for waste materials to decompose? « That Danny!

There's some data that you asked for.

Im glad you do recycle as much as possible, but whats with the "individual bins"??
We have 2 bins here, one for trash, one for recyclables.Its not hard and doesn't cost us any extra $$ as it is included in the water/trash bill.
I don't understand why some people just seem to hate the thought of helping the planet. We use much more resources than people did centuries ago, and make much more pollution. Even if your not on board with global warming it's obvious that we should all respect and take care of the earth.
Just imagine if our country had garbage heaps piling up like they do in Brazil, or trash just lining the streets like in India, or pollution (from coal) making us all sick like they are experiencing in China. I say thank God we have the means to be more ecologically advanced and financially able and do something positive for our land instead of purposely going out of our way to turn it into a wasteland.
Yes, I have one recycling bin too and I dump it all together. I've read on a number of forums from people that have to sort in different bins depending on what is being recycled: paper vs. plastic vs. glass vs. metal, etc... . That was my statement about individual bins.

Thank you for admitting that Americans do take care not to turn our land into a wasteland unlike many other industrialized countries. Your original post was so very condescending in tone.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,393,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Because it is a pain in the neck to seperate garbage. It is just easier to throw everything out in one trash can.
The office doesn't recycle anything.

In my home, I do not want more garbage cans all over to sort garbage, all goes in 1 bag.

as far as caring about the planet...... Our Planet gives us floods, earthquakes, fires, freezing temperatures, blazing hot temperatures, blizzards, tsunamis, and a great many other things......and yet we are supposed to take care of it?????????

phoenixscorpiogirl
Why dont people recycle?

Theres your answer in Nightcrawlers response.
Not my attitude but nightcrawler is expressing the reality that 100 million Americans seem to share.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:09 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,483,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
It looks like a mattress behind the camera guy. Oh goodness!
Oy! I'd better put my glasses on. At first glance I thought it was a dead porpoise or something!

Sure didn't take long to bring out the personal insults/challenges, though ~ .

Old 10-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have one recycling bin too and I dump it all together. I've read on a number of forums from people that have to sort in different bins depending on what is being recycled: paper vs. plastic vs. glass vs. metal, etc... . That was my statement about individual bins.

Thank you for admitting that Americans do take care not to turn our land into a wasteland unlike many other industrialized countries. Your original post was so very condescending in tone.

How was my original post condescending? I was stating a fact that many people just do not care about recycling when it is made available to them.....of course I don't think all Americans are lazy and irresponsible towards the planet, but we still could do better.
As for those countries i mentioned, I don't know about them being labeled "industrialized", India and China both have large populations of poor (and just too large of a population, period) and have horrible human rights laws, I do not see them ever being able to become "environmental friendly". Thats probably on the bottom of their to-do list .

Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,971,688 times
Where I live, we pay $50.00 per year (mandatory) to recycle. Since we have private haulers for our garbage we pay separately ($3.00/can) we are pretty careful to put our plastic, cans and bottles into our big blue recycling bin, so as not to add to our garbage fee. We also recycle newspapers. (I tie them in bundles or put them in a brown paper grocery sack).

Would it be easier to just throw everything in one can? Sure. But then I'd have another can to pay another $3.00 to the garbage collector. Since I have to pay that $50.00 recycling fee anyway, I'm pretty sure that a few steps to the recycling bin won't be that much trouble. Besides, I can use the exercise. (Who couldn't?)

I'm not a left-wing liberal. I'm not a tree-hugging hippie. Or a Yuppie. Just 75-year-old Grandma who would rather spend that $3.00 on an ice cream cone for one of my grands. And while we're walking home from the ice-cream shop(pe), we'll chat about the benefits of recycling. One of which is ..... ice-cream cones!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Where I live, we pay $50.00 per year (mandatory) to recycle. Since we have private haulers for our garbage we pay separately ($3.00/can) we are pretty careful to put our plastic, cans and bottles into our big blue recycling bin, so as not to add to our garbage fee. We also recycle newspapers. (I tie them in bundles or put them in a brown paper grocery sack).

Would it be easier to just throw everything in one can? Sure. But then I'd have another can to pay another $3.00 to the garbage collector. Since I have to pay that $50.00 recycling fee anyway, I'm pretty sure that a few steps to the recycling bin won't be that much trouble. Besides, I can use the exercise. (Who couldn't?)

I'm not a left-wing liberal. I'm not a tree-hugging hippie. Or a Yuppie. Just 75-year-old Grandma who would rather spend that $3.00 on an ice cream cone for one of my grands. And while we're walking home from the ice-cream shop(pe), we'll chat about the benefits of recycling. One of which is ..... ice-cream cones!
I must say thank you for helping to care for the planet, and having such a great attitude. Your grand kids are lucky to have you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living