Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:05 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,778,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I stand corrected irishtom,a fellow Democrat union guy it is then. Teamsters in my case.
God bless you Brother (or Sister).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

There will always be ways to improve on everything. Some of those improvements will turn out to make things worse in time.

Yeah, that's the nature of things I suppose. All we can do is muddle along and do the best we can with each crisis in turn; make the improvements we can and deal with the next problem when it pops up. Of course the key word is "deal"; conservatives love to talk about unexpected consequences but doing nothing has unexpected consequences too.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:21 AM

76 posts, read 169,329 times
I guess I fall into a category similar to this. I've been recycling all my life, as that's what my parents taught me. I do not see it as being preachy, or some government issue, just my way to do my part to conserve natural resources. In my community we are provided one recycling bin (glass, plastic, aluminum, and paper) to take out to the curb weekly with the garbage. I've actually found that I'll take the recycling bin out weekly, but can honestly go 2-3 weeks between taking the garbage out.

Sometimes my recycling is economic -- In NY state there is a deposit on soda, beer, and bottled water. You pay it upfront and will get it back when you redeem the container. Sure, it may be minuscule, especially since I don't really buy much soda, beer, or bottled water, but I'll just save it up till it's worth it to take it back to the store. I take my empty printer ink cartridges to Staples and they give you a $2 credit toward future purchases. Why wouldn't I recycle my ink cartridge?! I also run used paper through my printer to print on the back side, but that's because I'm cheap and am trying to stretch things out until I have to buy another ream of printer paper (and the twice used paper ends up in the recycling bin when it's done).

I'll use reusable canvas bags, which started out as an environmental issue for me until I realized that I now don't have loads and loads of bags stuffed in a drawer, and the reusable bag is easier to carry things in. And, some stores will give you a discount for each reusable bag you use! Again, may be minuscule, but doesn't every last cent help?

I just try to do my part since, as has been pointed out throughout this thread, there's finite room in landfills, and no one wants new landfills opened anywhere near where they live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I've been following the mantra "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" for several decades now... so it's hardly the cause of the day for me. I'm concerned about pollution, but recycling just makes sense on a materials level... why waste something that is perfectly reusable?! Lots of folks argue that it's not "cost effective" to recycle. I guess maybe not on a financial statement if you happen to think that we have an infinite supply of natural raw materials to keep making everything new... but in reality, um, no, the Earth and everything on it is a finite resource. Waste not, want not. If we destroy things, waste things, and pollute things eventually we won't have anything to work with... why wait until that happens before doing anything about it?

I'm not talking about gov't mandates and regulations here, I'm talking about personal accountability and responsibility.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,251,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, that's the nature of things I suppose. All we can do is muddle along and do the best we can with each crisis in turn; make the improvements we can and deal with the next problem when it pops up. Of course the key word is "deal"; conservatives love to talk about unexpected consequences but doing nothing has unexpected consequences too.
So true, and well said!! If we all try to do the best we can with the means we have, we'd probably all be a bit better off.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,646,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Because it's hypocritical. People do things like recycle because they think it benefits them not the planet (which is afterall a ball of rock with no consciousness that neither needs nor understands help) but they want to sound virtuous rather than pragmatic so they say they "help the planet" rather than being plain spoken and saying they're helping themselves.

Now as for those who really think they're helping the planet: well they're even more irritating than the hypocrites; they'rer zealots with a puffed up sense of importance who think an inanimate object needs their help. Imagine, a planet that's existed for billions of yeabeing helped by some insignificant member of a temporary species. I guess it makes some people feel like they have meaning. Kind'a like religion, eh?

First of all, I cannot speak for everyone but I believe a majority of the people that do recycle and do other things to care for the planet, do it to help the Earth and future generations.
I am one of those people. I like seeing the sun set over the mountains while being able to breath clean air. I like the fact that my kids can play in the park w/o it being all littered by garbage.
With that being said, where do you get the idea that the Earth is "just a ball of rock" ? Do you not realize that the earth is a living thing? That lot lava that runs under all the soils and rock is what makes new land and gives life enriching elements to new plants and trees which in turn feeds wildlife. This planet gives us fresh water, food, and al sorts of things we need to live. A dead rock doesn't sustain life. And we share a lot of DNA with things like cabbage, daffodils and babanas-which come from the Earth. When we die we go back to the earth.This is the the circle of life.

As for those " zealots with a puffed up sense of importance who think an inanimate object needs their help" well, I guess that's me, and I don't think the planet needs my help I know it does! The reason the planet has existed for billions of years w/o needing any help is becasue there was not the amount of people that there now is, nor the amount of trash, pollution, and deforestation that there is, in turn.
I just wish there was more that this "zealot"could do. But I'm sorry you feel the way you do....

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM

[quote=zooando;16317797]I guess I fall into a category similar to this. I've been recycling all my life, as that's what my parents taught me. I do not see it as being preachy, or some government issue, just my way to do my part to conserve natural resources. In my community we are provided one recycling bin (glass, plastic, aluminum, and paper) to take out to the curb weekly with the garbage. I've actually found that I'll take the recycling bin out weekly, but can honestly go 2-3 weeks between taking the garbage out.

That's how it is here too.
We use sooo many plastic drink containers (milk, juice, etc,) as well as boxes cans, etc, my garbage does not get filled up quick and we save on garbage bags
My recycling bun must go out every week, the regualar garbage only every 2 weeks.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
With that being said, where do you get the idea that the Earth is "just a ball of rock" ? Do you not realize that the earth is a living thing?

No. I realize that things live on it though.

The rest of your schoolmarmish lecture to me is a perfect example of the behavior many resent.

Sometimes I think people like you are the new Puritans. Some people are always looking for something to scold others about and this thread has several examples of scolds. But scolding people about deviations from traditional morality has gone out of style so now you're scolding me about my views on nature which is evidently still a permissable way of being puritanical.

I think that being anti-litter is being out of touch with nature; our ancestors who lived on farms and in villages were much more in touch with nature on a daily basis and were quite given to littering. Being against little is a modern construct of an urban middle class.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:16 AM

[quote=Irishtom29;16327072]No. I realize that things live on it though.

Sometimes I think people like you are the new Puritans. Some people are always looking for something to scold others about and this thread has several examples of scolds. But scolding people about deviations from traditional morality has gone out of style so now you're scolding me about my views on nature which is evidently still a permissable way of being puritanical.

Things that "just live on earth" didn't come here from outter space, they grow from the Earth.

I'm a new Puritan? LMAO Your posts really don't make sense.

"I think that being anti-litter is being out of touch with nature; our ancestors who lived on farms and in villages were much more in touch with nature on a daily basis and were quite given to littering. Being against little is a modern construct of an urban middle clas"

Once again you are comparing littering from decades if not centuries ago to now.

All I can say is I encourage everyone to recycle and respect the planet to the best of their ability. No one can force you to do that.

We will all reap what we sow, sooner or later.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 AM

7 posts, read 19,433 times
I do not recycle and I am not convinced it "helps" the planet. I believe it is just as harmful to recycle something as to throw it away. Do some research, I hope you aren't too disappointed when you find out you have been digging in the trash for no good reason.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Things that "just live on earth" didn't come here from outter space, they grow from the Earth..
So then all things on the Earth ARE the Earth?

Quote:
I'm a new Puritan? LMAO Your posts really don't make sense..
Think them through. Think about your taking umbtage with me not for my actions but for my attitudes. In your eyes I'm a heretic, unorthodox; a puritanical way of thinking on your part.

Quote:
We will all reap what we sow, sooner or later.
In the next world if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living