Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 PM

792 posts, read 2,331,584 times

Advertisements

My electric co., Consumers Energy of Michigan, says that for an extra $2.50 a month I can purchase "green blocks", which represent 150kWh of renewable energy generated on wind farms. They say that buying these green blocks will help "support the growth of renewable energy initiatives in our state."

Is this for real? Should I sign up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,029,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
My electric co., Consumers Energy of Michigan, says that for an extra $2.50 a month I can purchase "green blocks", which represent 150kWh of renewable energy generated on wind farms. They say that buying these green blocks will help "support the growth of renewable energy initiatives in our state."

Is this for real? Should I sign up?
Carbon credits are a ponzi scheme. You'd do better to go buy a tree and plant it. Or, perhaps you can put $2.50 in a jar every month until you've saved up enough to generate your own energy via solar/small wind. No, don't do it.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:08 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,257,073 times
First, is your electric company a co-op or privately owned? My guess is it's privately owned.

I won't tell you what decision to make, but also wouldn't jump to any conclusions one way or the other. Objectivity will provide you the best answer for your needs and situation.

All energy prices are regulated and keeping that price within a specified range comes from subsidies. Therefore, every state has a regulatory agency. I did a quick search and for MI it's MPSC. There's quite a bit of information there under the tab for renewable energy. If you haven't looked around that site it looks very interesting. Here's the link for MPSC's page on wind.

MPSC - Wind

It's really your decision whether you want to invest the money for development of wind energy in your state. Perhaps it's wind farms on Lake MI? Good luck!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,200,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Carbon credits are a ponzi scheme.
This is probably the voluntary purchase of a "Green Credit", still researching it but these are commodities just like Carbon credits. If you produce X amount of green energy you get a green credit. As the mandates for green energy kick in these green credits come into play. If they can't meet the mandate the power distributor will either need to buy credits or face a hefty fine.

Nice eh? They got you coming and going, left and right, top to bottom. Someone posted on my forum about a solar estimate he received which included the potential value of these credits he would receive. Adding it all up if the estimates for these credits were correct his electric would be substantially less than what he was paying now, the cost of his electric usage would be paid mostly by other people through the initial subsidization and green credits.

To rehash companies will be installing renewable energy subsidized upwards of 50% that still can't compete with fossil fuel production. These facilities will also generate green credits that will be purchased by power distributors to meet mandates which will raise rates for the standard consumer. On top of this we still have the yet unresolved Cap and Tax.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-03-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 AM

26,132 posts, read 19,080,534 times
I'm not sure if the younger generation has been exposed to the old saying about "a fool and his money..."

Why not save that money and buy a solar panel? Or how about minimizing your electric consumption? Consumption, by whatever means, is not the answer. Your question is rather like asking if you should buy a King-Sized SUV because the metal rolled out for the tailpipe was made in a "green" factory. Rather, if you are concerned about your impact, look for alternatives to driving an SUV.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM

20,186 posts, read 23,913,570 times
I remember a story where Big Electric PUSHED for green initiatives... what happened? All the small electric companies around them collapse... what happened after that? The Big Electric company made a big station in Mexico... You might ask, "How is the electric going to get from Mexico to the US because that is EXPENSIVE"... well the green initiative asked for land and power lines paid for by YOU from Mexico to the US so that they could harness "alternative energy" and bring them to the homes over there... well, they didn't do any "alternative energy" instead put another coal plant and sent that energy to the US... nice of them, isn't it... so when the big bad wolf asks you for money or ask the government to push "certain" things... always be suspicious, cause you usually are right if you smell a rat...

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,274,449 times
No you should not sign up...

Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,846,236 times
I can't get over the amount of companies that want extra money from me for supposedly going green. They get tax breaks,grants,rebates,discounts, etc for this, and then also want money from me. No I do not go for this from anyone, they don't have to prove to me they do it and no just because they print something on paper does not make it truthful. Especially from a business in this country.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 16,011 times
Default Solar should never be that expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Carbon credits are a ponzi scheme. You'd do better to go buy a tree and plant it. Or, perhaps you can put $2.50 in a jar every month until you've saved up enough to generate your own energy via solar/small wind. No, don't do it.

Yes I agree. anyone can make solar power on their own. Like residential and flexible solar panels which all can use at home. Solar should never be that expensive so anybody can get it for them to use.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,288,774 times
Donate for wind farms? If I wanted to kill eagles I'd just go shoot 'em.

How about donating to research clean coal technology? That might be used around the world for the next 100 years.

Or better yet, use it to better insulate your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living