Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:20 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Sebastopol, CA
When I think of "green" this town is the first town I think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 PM

22 posts, read 49,805 times
You asked which part of Seattle? We liked Eastlake. Two of us only put 4000 miles on one car in over 2 years (grocery shopping and some out of town trips). You don't really need a car; the public transportation (bus system) is great. My company gave me a bus pass. But all the neighborhoods are great. I would suggest visiting first and just check out the feel of each neighborhood (I used a travel book to do so). There was even a community garden nearby for the condo dwellers and boat house community...if it's still there.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
Sounds like a small college town to me Blacksburg, VA, Boone, NC, Charlottesville, VA are all in the mountains and will probably meet your weather needs.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLV View Post
Hello! My husband and I are wanting to re-locate and don't know where.
We are open to moving anywhere in the US.
Here's what our "wish list" looks like. Any suggestions on places to check out?

1. Close to nature and good hiking trails
2. Progressive, friendly, alternative town/city
3. easy to get around town
4. Nice downtown area- cafes, bookstores, quaint
5. Not super cold in winter (a few snows are OK) and not blazing in summer (not more than a dozen of days in high 90s+)
6. 10,000-80,000 people- medium size town

thanks for your suggestions....
I was just watching a show called "escape from suburbia". Anyway there was this engineer or whatever on there and he named the top green cities in America. He said Austin Texas is number 1. He said Washington state (didn't name a actual city) was up in the top ten as well. I know Austin doesn't meet your population requirements but looks like they are on the ball with sustainability and green living

link

Old 05-06-2008, 12:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
... "escape from suburbia". ... he named the top green cities in America. He said Austin Texas is number 1. He said Washington state (didn't name a actual city) was up in the top ten as well....
It's nice to have 2 cities with such different climates, and both in NO Income tax states, but too bad they are both very high in property taxes (this really bites into the budget when you no longer have a job... $33 per day property taxes for me in WA state... 10x my daily food costs, I've heard similar stories from TX.)

if PNW is an option, you might look to Portland and Eugene, OR they are very eco -conscious and Portland is striving for the 'most sustainable' award. There are plenty of suburbs or 'sub-regions' within the metro area that would work... If you can handle 'lots-o-rain'. Some other nice places with better climates and green bent are in NO CA, maybe Chico for your tastes.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:51 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_q View Post
Which brings me to a small disagreement: State College is a beast of football insanity, equalled only by an insane drive by thousands of undergraduates to get drunk and make a mess of the town. Liberal, progressive, alternative thinkers, in my experience anyway, tend not to like up with tailgating maniacs who can't stop shouting at women.
Moderator cut: edit let me just say that I have to disagree about the above. It was suggested that Berkeley would be an ideal place for you, and I think that Berkeley is surrounded by tree hugging, dope smoking, army recruiting protesters who have made the area surrounding the campus very uncomfortable for many. I don't see that as liberal progressive alternative thinkers.

But since your post is many months ago you have probably already selected a place to live. I personally agree with some others who suggested area around Seattle might be ideal for you.

Last edited by riveree; 05-10-2008 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: pls use DM for further explanation

Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Ashville or Jacksonville, OR

Old 07-17-2009, 04:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,224 times
Ashville, NC is utterly amazing-stopped by on a road trip this summer and was taken aback. It's literally really fun, and just seems to be humble but educated and not too serious at the same time.

I would also suggest Taos, New Mexico- may be a bit hot, but overall gorgeous and grounded. As well, Berkeley is alright- not my favorite school, but a lot (a lot) of people love the area. Umm, Marin County, across from San Fran is pretty cool - Santa Cruz (I don't like it as much)

The whole Southwest is amazing - Alberquerque, Santa Fe - be careful of Arizona

Best of luck and have fun with it

Old 07-17-2009, 04:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,224 times
I joined just for that message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You sound like a dead-ringer for a suburb of Seattle. Be prepared for lots of overcast days though... but the temps are quite mild.
Didn't Seattle outlaw/ban Cascade dish washing detergent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living