Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 11:45 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,075,214 times

Advertisements

As it is time for another year of falling leafs, everywhere I go is dedicated to the removal of leafs. At the university, they have little enclosed golf carts with blowers on them, and have many people devoted to the cleanup of leafs.

So much time, money, and resources are devoted to leaf removal. What would be the impact of leaving the leafs where they fall, and just driving over them with a mower a few times before the snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,905,780 times
i thought i was the only one dr earth

around here it is around the clock leaf blowing from 7am-7pm

2 stroke blowers everywhere all day every day

It is really something.... to inhale.

I really do not appreciate doing this but i suppose our lawn will die if I don't. I run it over with the mulching mower like you said, a few times each fall. The mulch can go on the grass, on the garden or in a pile.

If I did not live in suburban NJ i would just have a big garden but since we are in the process of bailing out on NJ... i am trying to preserve most of the grass since that is what people like here.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:25 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,088,670 times
Isn't it ridiculous? My husband and I were talking about this yesterday.

We especially don't understand leaf blowers at all. So much waste, and pollution, too, when you consider the number of people out there blowing wet leaves around. And the noise. It's terrible. I don't know why people don't use their rakes anymore.

Yesterday my husband and I sat and watched a leaf blower guy stand for three minutes in one spot trying to blow wet leaves off a tiny bit of sidewalk. He eventually gave up and walked to a different spot and did the same thing. So stupid.

There is a group in our community that is trying to establish something where people can grow food in their piles of leaves. They were saying that things like root veggies, potatoes, etc. even seed starts can be grown in leaves piled at least 3 feet deep.

Another problem with leaves in our town is that people blow them out onto the street near the curbs. This makes for dangerous situations when the leaves are blown around and into the bike lanes, or when cars are going too fast and swerve to go around a pile of leaves and so on. I don't know why the people in this town put their leaves in the street, but that's what they do and it doesn't seem very smart at all. All the other places we've lived people were supposed to bag up their leaves and the city would pick them up and compost them.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:19 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,688,351 times
People do misuse leaf blowers but they definitely are a handy tool (I use an electric one). The mulcher in my mower is not great so sometimes I use the blower to get leaves up to the top of the property where it is easy to bag them. I have two giant oak trees as well as many, many smaller trees around me so I get a crapload of leaves in the fall.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:00 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,287,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
As it is time for another year of falling leafs, everywhere I go is dedicated to the removal of leafs. At the university, they have little enclosed golf carts with blowers on them, and have many people devoted to the cleanup of leafs.

So much time, money, and resources are devoted to leaf removal. What would be the impact of leaving the leafs where they fall, and just driving over them with a mower a few times before the snow?
Actually this is what I do - using an old "real" Troy Bilt mulching mower. That's my main leaf recycler.

I also have and use one of their chipper-vacs to pick up leaves in the driveway, etc. where mulching them in place is not practical. It's a bigger machine, cost me more to buy, and it's "production rate" is much lower than the mower - but it will pick up and mulch the leaves, and I can use the mulch in the garden of course.

Probably a good Snapper or Honda mulching mower would work just as well as the old T-B, I don't know.

I'm not aware of a good chipper-vac on the market anymore.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,203,426 times
Leaf litter will kill the grass and ornamental plants.
Leaf litter on a roadway or side walk is unsafe.
It is very slippery and when allowed to get into the storm drains it clogs up the system and the stream it dumps into.

Why don't people rake there 3ac of lawns, TIME.
I could spend 4 days raking up the leaves or I could do it in an hr pulling a sweeper behind my lawn tractor. I'd rather spend the time with friends &family or perusing some other activety.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,737,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Another problem with leaves in our town is that people blow them out onto the street near the curbs. This makes for dangerous situations when the leaves are blown around and into the bike lanes, or when cars are going too fast and swerve to go around a pile of leaves and so on. I don't know why the people in this town put their leaves in the street, but that's what they do and it doesn't seem very smart at all. All the other places we've lived people were supposed to bag up their leaves and the city would pick them up and compost them.
Leaves are a natural green product. They decompose into beneficial substance. Since they are a natural decomposable beneficial green product, there should be absolutely nothing wrong with blowing them into the street. Its just nature being nature. You can have trees on public ROWs dumping leaves in the same manner on the street so adding to the green decomposition should be the better way.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:14 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,144,569 times
It does seem like a waste of energy to me. Where we had been living, we would rake about 1 acre or so and burn. No need to use gas for a leaf blower. Great exercise, too. The rest we left. Here in our new home, we are on an incline and all the leaves have blown...elsewhere, mostly out of sight. So I am not worried about them.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 PM

7,789 posts, read 8,057,618 times
I ignore my leaves,10 big trees. I don't fertilize either. my lawn is just fine. My neighbors with all their noisy equipment crack me up.Some rake and bag their leaves which makes it easy for me to take and add to my garden if I can beat the trash truck

Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM

229 posts, read 441,472 times
I keep hearing that leaves kill the grass and I keep hoping that it will prove to be true. I really don't like to mow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living