Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to post this, here or automotive, but after thinking about it this appears the best forum considering my question.

In another year we will be in the market for a new second car and I really like the idea of going all electric.

Second car would drive an average of 50 miles a day, never more than 75, so you can see how the Leaf would make a perfect second car.

Nissan's New New Electric 'Leaf' Car Priced Lower Than Expected - The Two-Way - Breaking News, Analysis Blog : NPR

Nissan LEAF Electric Car

The 100 mile range would fit 90% of our driving needs and with a top speed of 90 mph it does appear to be more than a golf cart.

Now if they could only come up with a 200-250 mile range it would meet 98% of my driving needs and that would be exciting! Spend a day at the beach and not have it cost any fuel? That's exciting!

Quote:
Nissan says the battery recharges in four eight hours when you plug it into a 220-volt line — the same kind your dryer runs on. Plug it into a standard 110-volt and you’re looking at twice that long. The car has a quick-charge capability that will let you get up to 80 percent charge in less than 30 minutes, but Nissan didn’t say what kind of power you’ll need. We’re guessing 480 volts at 100 amps.

When we drove the prototype last spring, Mark Perry, Nissan’s director of product planning, said the cost per mile is 4 cents if you figure gas is four bucks a gallon, electricity is 14 cents a kilowatt hour and you drive 15,000 miles a year. Compare that to the 13 cents a mile you’ll pay in a car that gets 30 mpg. Perry says the car will cost about 90 cents to charge if you plug it in off-peak.

The pack provides juice to an AC motor that produces 80 kilowatts (107 horsepower) — roughly what the Honda Fit puts down. The motor also cranks out 207 pound-feet of torque — impressive, given that the 3.5-liter V6 available in the Altima produces 258. The prototype we drove was snappy off the line, so the Leaf should be no slouch in traffic. Top speed is limited to 90 mph.
[LEFT]
Read More Nissan Turns Over An Electric Leaf | Autopia | Wired.com
[/LEFT]
Now to my question, what about solar recharging? Seeing as how our electric is $0.12/KWH our electric cost would be $0.032 per mile or $1.71/day it's obviously ridiculous to even consider recharging with solar but I was wondering what that would cost of someone wanted to set itup to do it? $2,000, $5,000, $10,000 or more?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living