Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,519,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The biggest virtue of a EV is it does not have to use imported oil, but more likely coal. Most of our oil is imported from places like Saudi Arabia or Canada. The market price for oil is three times the moral equivalent (Pres. Carter's term) of natural gas, so we are getting hosed.

You simply couldn't be more wrong about this. We have oil. Actually a lot of it. How much lithium manganese oxide do we have? Can you imagine how much of this material is needed for batteries for these vehicles? And, do you like China having us by the nutz better than The oil producing countries? Why? China can and will actually harm us. The Saudis would not exist but for us. They love us compared to China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,442,073 times
Nissan's market research shows that something like 85% of all trips fall below 25 miles, so the range of the initial vehicle was targeted to cover that. sure, won't work for everyone, but will work for many many people most of the time. and since most households have 2 vehicles, the times it won't work, you can use the other vehicle.

thing is, some people would have to adapt a more relaxed driving style, or it really won't work for them because of reduced range from aggressive-style driving.

it's not for everyone. but it's a good step forward.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,230,936 times
We talk only about distance.... but suppose ~

I carefully checked, my trip each way is 30 miles, I'm on my way back home and am in a massive traffic jam and it's 95 and raining outside... I don't want to sweat to death and I gotta see out the front windshield.... How long can I sit there before I have to start shutting down the cars electrical things? What happens if the batteries go dead?

Do I believe the EPA's range estimate of 74 miles? I don't know... With a gas car I can have spare gas, what about an electric car? Carry a battery charger?

Should I have to even worry about things like this when I just spent over $40,000.00 for my car?

Ford's marketing said there was a market for the Edsel, Hudson believed their marketing department, they went out of business.

Yes I'm skeptical of ANY marketing department, their research and their claims on their products....

Not for nothing, how about a vehicle like this? no gas, no electric: http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/...-tech-car.html

And a reality check on electric cars: The status quo of electric cars: better batteries, same range

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/...ame-range.html

Last edited by plwhit; 01-11-2011 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,546,377 times
It basically a nicer golf-kart for people who's most exciting part of the day is getting the mail and going to he drug store.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
It basically a nicer golf-kart for people who's most exciting part of the day is getting the mail and going to he drug store.

Which is what the Leaf is for is it not?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,442,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
We talk only about distance.... but suppose ~

I carefully checked, my trip each way is 30 miles, I'm on my way back home and am in a massive traffic jam and it's 95 and raining outside... I don't want to sweat to death and I gotta see out the front windshield.... How long can I sit there before I have to start shutting down the cars electrical things? What happens if the batteries go dead?

Do I believe the EPA's range estimate of 74 miles? I don't know... With a gas car I can have spare gas, what about an electric car? Carry a battery charger?

Should I have to even worry about things like this when I just spent over $40,000.00 for my car?

Ford's marketing said there was a market for the Edsel, Hudson believed their marketing department, they went out of business.

Yes I'm skeptical of ANY marketing department, their research and their claims on their products....

Not for nothing, how about a vehicle like this? no gas, no electric: Low-tech Magazine: The velomobile: high-tech bike or low-tech car?

And a reality check on electric cars: The status quo of electric cars: better batteries, same range

Low-tech Magazine: The status quo of electric cars: better batteries, same range
this is a good article about a writer's real world experience with the Leaf, in LA traffic commutes...

Diary of an electric car commuter - Jan. 4, 2011

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM

This is sorta scary IMO:
Quote:
Even a long day of driving from Santa Monica to Hollywood to Glendale to LAX and home again -- a 60-odd-mile jaunt that took several hours -- didn't deplete the Leaf; I parked with 13 miles left.
73 mile range, and as the author discovered, all the charging stations in LA are not compatible with the Leaf.... What does one do if the batteries are exhausted and one is away from home? Was the AC on at any time? Was the radio?

Gotta say one thing about this car, it's not going to get any styling awards.....

http://nissan-leaf.com/wp-content/gallery/nissan-leaf-ev/nissan-leaf_001.jpg (broken link)

One other small point with this "real world" drive....
Quote:
The Leaf springs from 0 to 60 in less than 10 seconds, and the battery drain needed to attain that clip is steep. I had to reset my speed-addicted soul (and right foot) to Zen mode.
So is this how we drive in the real world? In Zen Mode?

Driving in Zen Mode the vehicle had a driving range of 73 miles?

The driving range of this vehicle is welllll...... overstated by a wide margin methinks. Nissan claims 100 miles per charge (Based upon US EPA LA4 city cycle conducted in laboratory tests).

Nissan LEAF Electric Car | The New Car | Features and Specifications

And let's not forget, the older the car gets the less charge the battery holds....

Please don't flame me and say the vehicle gets better mileage on the highway...

Tis a good idea for a very limited market.

Last edited by plwhit; 01-14-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 04:17 PM

Let's ask the Chinese how many of the batteries we are allowed to make.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Let's ask the Chinese how many of the batteries we are allowed to make.
That's funny, the batteries are made in America

Details on Nissan Leaf battery pack, including how recharging speed affects battery life — Autoblog Green

Old 01-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

That's why I said how many are we allowed to make. Because, although the Smyrna Tennessee battery plant is conveniently located for the car assembly, it is not quite as conveniently located near the lithium manganese oxide mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living