Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 38,562 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a corner cabinet full of Pyrex (and other brand) glass bowls, rectangular and round and such. I started collecting these things about 25 years ago.

The good thing about these things is they last forever. Actually the list goes on much longer than that, but it's not the point. The bad thing about them is that the plastic lids last a few years and then they get brittle and shatter.

I've repeatedly tried emailing the manufacturer about replacements, nothing ever gets answered.

So what I would like to know is what do you do to seal these bowls? I use them for short-term storage and cooking, nothing in the freezer.

I would like something that I can use to make an airtight seal, like the original plastic lids. NOT FOR CANNING! I would like to stack 3 or 4 bowls one on top of the other if possible.

Ideally, I could come up with some replacement lids from a source I have yet to find.

Next, I would like some sort of way to make a reusable lid that is feasible to use daily. For example:
1 A glass lid with a gasket that I would just cut out a new gasket when one wears out
2 Is there some sort of rubber/plastic/silicone lid that you can form to the container the way you would can with wax? Fill it with water or something, pour the material on it and wait for it to harden? (this means something that's safe and hopefully eco-friendly)
3 Can you make a wax seal that you can wash and reuse without having to re-melt the wax?
4 How about some sort of clay lid with a gasket?
5 ???

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 11:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Know what you mean. I have accumilated a bunch of lids over the yrs. Some mfg'rs make a standard lid for the industry that is used the same way jars are made for different ingredients.

Check out the plastic section of a large store or any 0,99 store. This is where I found some to interchange in usage.

China is copying our sizes with cheap repos being that they can bypass patent rights. Bound to be a lid that can be used. Take along a small tape measure with you when shopping.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:28 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
The Corning/Revere/Corelle kitchen stores/outlets carry a large selection of lids to fit the pyrex containers/casseroles etc.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:12 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Ditto what Ellwood said. I have a bunch of round pyrex in 3 sizes, and over the years have replaced some of the lids. After many years the plastic tends to dry out and some of the lids no longer fit tight. And somehow, I lost a few lids. The Corning/Revere stores are often located in "outlet malls", and I've seen them in many places around the US. Probably not as cheap in price as the dollar stores, but for sure you can find an exact match.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:26 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
My wife checks out the second hand stores often for them. Otherwise she buys plastic shower caps by bulk on Ebay. They are cheap and fit alot of things in the kitchen and you can clean/wash them over and over.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM

There are dollar stores all over of course, and it turns out there is a Corning/revere store only a few miles away, in a mall I had never heard of. Will definitely check it out.

Hopefully they'll have what I need, I am desperate for the lids. I was seriously going to look into making something. It seems like such a waste to throw the perfectly good glassware out, and I have no more room to buy more glassware.

Thanks a bunch for the tips!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:24 PM

The corning/revere store fit the bill!

Got newer lids than came with the glass, got lids for some casseroles that never had lids to begin with, got some more Pyrex and got the phone number of the nice young lady who helped me.

What more can a guy ask for?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
got some more Pyrex and got the phone number of the nice young lady who helped me.
Geesj, is that what you could call *fringe benefits* ??

Really, I was not aware that lids for glass ware
could result in such a benefit ...
Guess what I will be looking for at my shopping trip ...

Old 12-20-2010, 12:32 AM

Ya. Thanks for the recommendation, Ellwood!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken R View Post
Ya. Thanks for the recommendation, Ellwood!
Glad you solved your dilema.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living