Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 09:15 AM

270 posts, read 506,123 times

Advertisements

I have a little land in rural Alabama, and I was thinking about putting a manufactured home (trailer) on it, hooking up utilities, and living in or renting out to people who work for the steel mill or chemical plant. I don't want to use city water or electriciy, though, because their rates are not competitive, and might affect how much I would have to charge for rent. I wanted to keep the rent around $600 per month or a little bit lower than market prices in the area.

Here are my ideas so far.

Install a composting toilet, and leave the messy septic tank which can back up, cause a mess, hygeine concerns, and cost a ton in repair expenses.

Somehow installing a self-composting toilet that does not rely on a septic system would be much more efficient and cleaner than installing a septic system that might back up and cause problems. It would also be more efficient than having to rely upon the non-competitive rates the rural water company might charge. I would need to find a way to make the composing system look like a regular toilet, though, very clean with all of the fixtures one would normally find on a toilet. I certainly don't want to give my tennents the idea that they are using an indoor outhouse! Ideally, something like this, with the composting mechanism hidden under the floor or in another inconspicuous place. These models are supposed to be odorless and mess-free. Although they are essentially outhouses, the unpleasant parts, such as clean-up and odor control, have been elliminated or at least greatly improved. I get the idea that it's like having a toilet connected to a septic tank, except the septic tank is much smaller, only connected to the toilet, and waterless--so, there's no chance of it backing up. Cleanliness is very important to me. The idea that sewage could wind up in my garden or in my sink is extremely unappealing. I think composting toilets, as long as they smell okay, are a much better solution.
  • Use gray water collection and filtration for home use, such as laundry, sinks, and showers.
Saniflo macerating and gray water pumping systems

This way, hopefully, I could connect a sink and shower without having to worry a lot about an ellaborate and costly plumbing system. I think I would only need a few pipes connected to a water source. This would be much easier to install and repair than a conventional plumbing system. Perhaps I could even install rain water collection barrels and gray water recycling units to ensure that even less water is used. Of course, I could also install water-conserving washing machines and shower heads.
  • Wind, solar, and other natural energy
I'm sure this would cost a bit more at the begining, but how about installing small generators that run on wind, solar, and other natural energy to run household appliances instead of or in addition to energy from the grid? Ideally, I would like to find a relatively efficient way to allow the house to generate its own electricity.
  • Relying upon gas instead of total electric for cooking, heating, and cooling.
I might install something that runs on propane, which is generally purchased in tanks, instead of relying upon city gas. Hopefully, it would cut down on fossil fuel usage and also cut down on monthly expenses. Propane could also be used to run heating and cooling mechanisms within the house.

Well, here are my ideas so far for creating a clean completely self-sufficient or semi-self sufficient abode. Please tell me if you think these ideas would work, or if you have better ones, please give me your suggestions.

Last edited by surburbangirlie; 12-24-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,051,119 times
Is it realistic to expect renters to adhere to your "green" standards? I can see going green for myself but I cannot see expecting a renter to adhere and care for the green investment in rental property, expecially the special systems. Have you figured in those costs and maint. of those systems into the rent?

Who is responsible for utilities, the landlord or the renter? I can see net metereing if the landlord keep the electric utility in his/her name. However, how do you expect a renter to go without if it is cloudy and there is no wind? Do you offer a LP powered whole house generator to make-up for the lack of renewable availability on those days/weeks?

Personally, I don't think that you can pay for the systems on $600/mo. rent. Please keep us posted and include the numbers if you find a way to make this work. Renters want conveninece, I'm not certain "green" that requires effore on their part is realistic. Maybe.....but I suspect not. In the city it is more doable, in rural setting, I think not so much. Hope you prove me wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living