Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I use about 50 plastic bags a week. Every waste can has one, I use a 55 gallon drum liner every day for kitchen garbage and the litter box gets about 4 a week (it is self cleaning or it would be about 20 a week). Now if you count ziplock refrigerator and freezer bags I guess that would be another 10 or so. And, a ziplock one gallon freezer bag has about as much PVC as 20 grocery store bags. I also use about 10 plastic disposable bathroom water cups a week. And, maybe ten store purchases. So I am assuming that I use about as much plastic as everyone on here combined. I do have some of those black reusable grocery bags so I don't really get any of those grocery bags. I don't see any way I could use less plastic bags.
1. Skipping the litter pan liner? Are those just a hoax? My kittens would scratch through the liner, anyway. I got rid of the kittens (sorry I couldn't deal with the poo and destruction). I used natural kitty litter and I used to dump it in the woods. If you scoop all week then refill the pan once a week, you can just wash and dry the litter pan once a week. Use gloves and hot, soapy water. It's a bit more work, but it's not like litter pan liners are free, either.

2. Why not skip the bathroom cups? If you remove the cup dispenser, you'll be less tempted. We had them when I was little, but I've never had them as an adult. I think a cupped hand works fine while brushing your teeth. Plus you'll save some $$

3. I don't put liners in my bath, office or other waste bins. That's another hoax, too. If you're only putting in dry waste, why do you need a plastic bag? I used to think I needed one for the bathroom, but it turns out I don't. There's pretty much just balled up paper in the bin (which reminds me I need to start using biodegradable floss).

4. Recycle - I recycle and I save about 60-70% of the stuff I used to put in the trash.

5. Why are you using so much Ziploc? Those things aren't cheap. How about foil? You can reuse foil, and I just found out you can wrap it around fruit trees to deter insects. You can also try waxed brown paper bags. If I remember right, you live in a rural area, right? If you have woods, you can ball the bags up and throw them outside when you're done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
1. Skipping the litter pan liner? Are those just a hoax? My kittens would scratch through the liner, anyway. I got rid of the kittens (sorry I couldn't deal with the poo and destruction). I used natural kitty litter and I used to dump it in the woods. If you scoop all week then refill the pan once a week, you can just wash and dry the litter pan once a week. Use gloves and hot, soapy water. It's a bit more work, but it's not like litter pan liners are free, either.
Jack has an automatic litter box that removes the lumps every time he uses the box. Its very cool. And, it fascinates him. Jack is the cat, of course.

Quote:
2. Why not skip the bathroom cups? If you remove the cup dispenser, you'll be less tempted. We had them when I was little, but I've never had them as an adult. I think a cupped hand works fine while brushing your teeth. Plus you'll save some $$
I like the cups. And there is no dispenser I just have a stack of 12 oz. cups on the counter.

Quote:
3. I don't put liners in my bath, office or other waste bins. That's another hoax, too. If you're only putting in dry waste, why do you need a plastic bag? I used to think I needed one for the bathroom, but it turns out I don't. There's pretty much just balled up paper in the bin (which reminds me I need to start using biodegradable floss).
You never know what someone will toss in the can. You can never be too careful.

Quote:
4. Recycle - I recycle and I save about 60-70% of the stuff I used to put in the trash.
Recycling just burdens the solid waste system and consumes additonal resources. 200 years from now, solid waste landfills will be like the gold mines of the past. We just don't have the tecnology yet to handle recycling profitably. Eventially we will. But not now.

Quote:
5. Why are you using so much Ziploc? Those things aren't cheap. How about foil? You can reuse foil, and I just found out you can wrap it around fruit trees to deter insects. You can also try waxed brown paper bags. If I remember right, you live in a rural area, right? If you have woods, you can ball the bags up and throw them outside when you're done.
Well, i do use too many ziplocks, but they go right into the freezer where foil doesn;t work so well there. And, you can put them into the microwave for defrosting. And, they help with odors. They are a good product, but I do use too many of them.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
One Glad quilted tall kitchen bag per week.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 AM

229 posts, read 440,034 times
I use one 13 gallon trash can liner a month for trash, one or two more are filled with mixed recyclables and taken to a drop off point. Old grocery store plastic bags are used in trash cans and for kitty litter to the tune of about six a month.

So I guess that means about two plastic bags a week, average. I carry re-usable bags when I shop.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,765,406 times
I was naughty for awhile there and kept forgetting to bring my mesh bags with me when I grocery shop. As a result, I have a stock of plastic bags that I use for cleaning the litter box and for garbage.

I use about 2 plastic bags per week.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:51 AM

371 posts, read 393,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Recycling just burdens the solid waste system and consumes additonal resources. 200 years from now, solid waste landfills will be like the gold mines of the past. We just don't have the tecnology yet to handle recycling profitably. Eventially we will. But not now.
Smart person here.

Rarely do I see someone post how ineffective and wasteful recycling is. If it makes you feel good (aka fill you with smugness) go for it, but it's comparable to buying CO2 credits to reduce pollution (does nothing).

BUT, there are ways to make recycling realistic, but that will never happen in America.

BTW, I am a ziploc bag user also. I use more for putting leftovers in the fridge, as I have a vacuum bag thing for my freezer. They are great for leftover though- no extra dishes to clean and if the food gets old it's simple to throw right into the trash.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Smart person here.

Rarely do I see someone post how ineffective and wasteful recycling is. If it makes you feel good (aka fill you with smugness) go for it, but it's comparable to buying CO2 credits to reduce pollution (does nothing).

BUT, there are ways to make recycling realistic, but that will never happen in America.

BTW, I am a ziploc bag user also. I use more for putting leftovers in the fridge, as I have a vacuum bag thing for my freezer. They are great for leftover though- no extra dishes to clean and if the food gets old it's simple to throw right into the trash.
I'm an optimist and I think it will happen that recycling will take off in America. It will happen when it is time. It will be time when it is economically advantageous. It will be economically advantageous when the value of recycled goods exceeds the perceived hassle of recycling. Today, that equation is way out of balance because it actually consumes resources to recycle. Is it 50 years? 100?

Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Living in Japan, I'd say I use about half a gazillion small plastic bags in an average month. You cannot escape having ANYTHING you purchase quickly stuffed into a bag, and the top securely taped so that you cannot open it again (making it extremely difficult to consoildate your purchases in fewer bags). That, along with the massive and complex packaging (both foam and cardboard) that engulfs every retail item, make Japan one of the world's great material wastrels and plasticizers.

Nice people, though. Great sushi.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
eh - don't turn this into a debate about recycling. the thread is about how many plastic bags you use...more a topic of "reduce" R of the 3 R's.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,178,863 times
I use very few. I use one of those fabric or oilcloth market bags when grocery shopping (I only shop for one), and sometimes if the store bagger asks "paper or plastic?' (they give you the choice) Ill say paper, becuase I can use them for other things.

In some cases, like Walgreen or drug stores they use plastic anyway, but I dont shop at these places too much.

I have some heavier-weight plastic bags Ive saved up, which I use for things like carrying presents, books, coverd dishes for office things, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living