Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM

229 posts, read 416,552 times

Advertisements

A whole lot!!! For garbage, groceries, & babies poopy diapers!!! Thank God for plastic!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:20 PM

371 posts, read 393,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
I just saw a new thread that was recently created. It sure looked like bait behind a trolling motor to me.
Actually I posted the new thread to avoid looking like I'm trolling on this one.

I sincerely want to know why 90% of the eco people I meet share identical views. And the views are extremely contrary to environmentalism.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
Actually I posted the new thread to avoid looking like I'm trolling on this one.

I sincerely want to know why 90% of the eco people I meet share identical views. And the views are extremely contrary to environmentalism.
I think there's an old phrase which answers your question:

"Birds of a feather flock together"

Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
I just saw a new thread that was recently created. It sure looked like bait behind a trolling motor to me.
yep. appears so. haha

Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
One a day in my kitchen trash can. And I get the odor block kind. We have to store the wheelie-bins in the garage because of the wildlife. And when it's hot I don't want them stinking. Maybe 4 or 5 re-used plastic bags lining various trash baskets in the house. That's it.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
At work I actually don't make much trash. Almost everything is on computer.

At home I tend to generate a lot of trash. Tin food cans, aluminum foil, plastics that all the fish I buy is wrapped in. I do 90% of my shopping online, so I have a lot of boxes and packing peanuts. I'm always working on some project, for example I built some fiberglass speaker boxes which made a ton of trash, then I set up an aquarium (all products shipped to my home) more trash and currently I'm piecing together a computer.

By large I mis-spoke, I meant full size home bags. I think 13 gallon size.
Indeed, ordering from Part Express creates a huge amount of packaging material. Fortunately my city includes that in its weekly recycling pick-up. I also load all the phonebooks that are left on my front porch in those boxes for easy disposal.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Maybe 1-2 kitchen trash bags a week, 1-2 Grocery bags. We normally take our own bag but sometimes get a little more than will fit. Most shopping is at Costco and there we just pack it all into the back of the truck.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 AM

469 posts, read 1,175,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my guess is he's trolling the thread just to p people off.

Yeah, he's all over the Green Living forum with comments like these.

I use ten or so. The only place I accept a plastic bag is the grocery store, and I eventually return these to the store for recycling.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
I use about 50 plastic bags a week. Every waste can has one, I use a 55 gallon drum liner every day for kitchen garbage and the litter box gets about 4 a week (it is self cleaning or it would be about 20 a week). Now if you count ziplock refrigerator and freezer bags I guess that would be another 10 or so. And, a ziplock one gallon freezer bag has about as much PVC as 20 grocery store bags. I also use about 10 plastic disposable bathroom water cups a week. And, maybe ten store purchases. So I am assuming that I use about as much plastic as everyone on here combined. I do have some of those black reusable grocery bags so I don't really get any of those grocery bags. I don't see any way I could use less plastic bags.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:20 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,407,468 times
OMG well boy do I feel green. Not that it matters, since other people use so much plastic. I use 1 kitchen sized bag a week for garbage, and maybe 2 regular-sized plastic bags a month. At my supermarket, they only give paper bags, so I put my recycling in those, and occasionally use them in the garden.

I use all-cotton feminine products, and I'm almost crazy enough to start composting those, too. I can't imagine what I would do if I had an infant. They're messy, so I guess I'd pretty much have to use pampers or something...or quit working just keep the nappies changed regularly.

I think people would use more biodegradable items if plastic were simply unavailable..but it's so inexpensive who knows when that will happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living