Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times

Advertisements

I need some advice on other lines of home cleaning products that are eco-friendly. I've been using the Seventh Generation brand, which is competitively priced for the most part. But some of the stickers on other brands are outrageously expensive. For example, I've been wanting to try the Biokleen dishwashing liquid ... but dang, not for nearly $7!

What are some other lines to check out that 1) work; and 2) don't kill the budget? The reason I asked is that a friend of mine and I decided to start an informational blog about our experiences using various cleansers, laundry detergents, etc. Between the two of us, our loyalty is pretty much limited to a couple of different lines.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Costco sells Kirkland brand detergent that gets good ratings. method's detergent is great. sam's club sells ecos, also good.

there's a site that compares eco products, i just cant remember it. i'll see if i can dig it up. don't forget to pull down 7th generation coupons from their website. do you not like 7th gen's dishwashing liquid?

good writeup:

A review of six green laundry detergents | Grist

Old 09-05-2010, 08:54 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
Costco sells Kirkland brand detergent that gets good ratings. method's detergent is great. sam's club sells ecos, also good.

there's a site that compares eco products, i just cant remember it. i'll see if i can dig it up. don't forget to pull down 7th generation coupons from their website. do you not like 7th gen's dishwashing liquid?

good writeup:

Ooo! I need to read that article, definitely. And link it to my site.

I love the 7th Gen dishwashing gel (for the dishwasher)--that stuff is better than mainstream brands. I've been using Mrs. Meyer's Green Day as a plain ol' dishwashing detergent, and although I prefer the performance of the product, the smell is a tad bit overwhelming. Oddly enough, I've never used the 7th Gen dishwashing detergent.

I'll definitely have to check out these other brands at Costco and Sam's. Also, I discovered Bright Green at Safeway/Randall's. Their laundry detergents are great, and the price is right. The Method line has been really hit and miss for me thus far. Wretched experience with the fabric softener sheets. Seventh Generation sent us a slew of products to try and review, and I'm just getting around to that.

P.S. Here's my review of the 7th Gen. dishwashing gel. We have an obvious brand bias going on. Ulp.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:05 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,950,199 times
I use Dr. Bronner's castille soap to wash dishes (and just about anything else) -- 16 oz bottle is under $10 and you can wash a LOT of dishes with 16 oz!! You don't get lots of foam, but it does clean really well, adding a little plain white vinegar or lemon juice helps cut really greasy loads. I find that the Orange works best for dishes and kitchen clean up.

Good recipes here for making your own dish soaps from castille soaps, or grated pure soap flakes.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
i think fabric softener sheets are just a waste in general, i don't even buy the "green" versions of them.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:06 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Default Green Cleaning Products? Expensive! Ouch

Of course it's expensive. Al Gore has to get his cut.
They have to make their profits, before, we realize
this Green business is just a hoax. Al Gore is going
to be a Billionaire soon.

These scientists are same ones who predicted we
would have an Ice Age 20 years ago. Wrong!
Scientists said the world was flat. We used to
bleed Anemia sufferers, bet that worked out great.

How about all those sugar substitutes that cause
Cancer? DDT?

Man causing Global Warming? Who started the 6
Ice Ages, and subsequent Global Warmings before
Man? Who caused them? We weren't here.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:46 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
Default Nature Clean products from Canada

I love the Nature Clean products. Their fruit and veggie wash is one product I cannot live without, but all of their products are fantastic - and effective. They are available through this website to the USA: Nature Clean - Grassroots Environmental Products

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,559 times
I agree with MissingAll4Seasons. I make my own dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, liquid hand soap, general cleaning soap, carpet freshner and more. It's so much cheaper and works great. Plus I know what I'm putting in my house. A friend of mine makes her own "Pledge". I have a bunch from before I turned green so when that's out, I'll use her recipe. I seriously think the store-bought "green" cleaning products are an advertising racket, but that's just me.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,680,118 times
I also like Meyers & 7th generation... the Method brand I buy at Target has some really good items too & is a little less expensive than the other mainstream brands.

Last edited by PixiStix; 09-06-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post

good writeup:

Is there anything not "green" about Dawn dishwashing liquid? It is used to clean the oil off of wild waterfowl and every bottle bought contributes a dollar back to wilflife rescue projects in wich Dawn is used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living