Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
This is something that really angers me. The audacity of a store clerk to make assumptions about my need, intent, and use of the bags.

I have been to a couple of stores where the clerk argued with me about the bags. I wasn't giving an opinion, I simply asked them to place the gallon jugs I was purchasing into bags. They told me that I didn't need to do that, I can just carry them and it is better for the environment. I explained to them that their job is to check out the products I purchase, not to lecture me on their political ideology and dictate to me their individual opinions. One persisted until I called out their manager to which he apologized repeatedly for the confrontational clerk.

People need to mind their own damn business and attend to their damn job rather than being pretentious little twits dictating their insignificant little opinions. There used to be a time where people had enough respect for others to not presume to tell others what to do.

The customer is always right
attitude has been lost in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 01:29 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollykoko View Post
Those plastic bags aren't free, you know. I have read that some stores are charging 5 cents per bag to encourage folks to bring their own. Rather like Aldi's and other cut rate grocery places have done with paper bags for years.

Personally, I don't want plastic bags around my gallon jugs. It's easier to carry them with the built in handle, IMO.
If they are, then they are doing so as per product increases. The moment a store charges me money to use their bags (something that used to be a service and of little cost to absorb into their infrastructure) is the moment I stop doing business with them. Sure, there will be witless idiots abound who will not be concerned, will spend that money anyway without a thought, just like there are countless morons buying houses overpriced and then whining like halfwit twits about how they lost everything they owned because their house dropped in price by 2/3's its value.

My wife and I are frugal, we shop and pay attention to prices. We tried a new store because it was "claimed" to be a good store for fresh vegetables and the like. This of course was nothing but pure BS as it was a "GREEN" store marketing to morons and dictating policies that the politically hold. I'm fine with that, business is free to do as it will, but they won't get my business and everyone I know I make sure to steer clear from them as it is nothing more than an overpriced eco-idiot storefront to push political policies and prey on the numerous fad idiots out there.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

The customer is always right
attitude has been lost in this day and age.
I agree, now keep in mind I worked the retail side of things in my youth and I don't always buy into the "customer is always right" as there are customers that will stick you in the arse and spin you around if you let them. That said, the basic principal of the rule is sound, that you serve the public and that is your goal. When a store front loses that concept and begins to dictate to its customers, well.... they will be a bankrupt institution in time. Sure, they will prey off the idiots as the pour in, but the moment the public gets even a hint of common sense or a new fad takes place, they fall right on their face as the trends change.

In the end, the true factor is the public. If people are stupid, then well... you can make a fortune off stupid and by telling them they are stupid in the process.

Think of used car dealers who gloat over the idiocy of their customers after a sale. If our public stays stupid, there are only two roles. Be the stupid, or be the one taking advantage of the stupid. Its unfortunate, but it seems it is the only way to get ahead in society that no longer pays any heed to honest business. Let the idiots line up and take them for everything they got.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The customer is always right attitude has been lost in this day and age.

The customer is not always right; however, the customer is always the customer and should be treated as such.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I recall it being a big thing to collect glass soda bottles for the return money at the grocery store. I take aluminium cans to the metal recycler and cannot even buy a soda with the pawltry sum collected. Hand me-down clothes, including shoes, were the norm, not the exception (including shoes), as were homemade clothes.

Thanks for posting plwhit, brings back memories. Common sense thriftiness that kept "green" in the wallet was today's "green". What was old is new again....
the common sense thriftiness is coming back pretty strong depending on where you live, and what community of people you roll with. i can't tell you how much i love freecycle! i cleaned out my hall bathroom of all the products my wife has bought and tried and for one reason or another, stopped using at various points in the bottle. throw the box in the driveway, put it on freecycle, and needless to say...i helped a mother fund her daughter's addiction to hair care products. i got all my moving boxes using freecycle. i've gotten things brand new off of freecycle. i love it!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The customer is not always right; however, the customer is always the customer and should be treated as such.
well said! i've worked in numerous service positions, and the customer is absolutely not always right. the policies of some stores that allow this attitude to exist is what's ruining the shopping experience for many

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
egg cartons

Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
This is something that really angers me. The audacity of a store clerk to make assumptions about my need, intent, and use of the bags.

I have been to a couple of stores where the clerk argued with me about the bags. I wasn't giving an opinion, I simply asked them to place the gallon jugs I was purchasing into bags. They told me that I didn't need to do that, I can just carry them and it is better for the environment. I explained to them that their job is to check out the products I purchase, not to lecture me on their political ideology and dictate to me their individual opinions. One persisted until I called out their manager to which he apologized repeatedly for the confrontational clerk.

People need to mind their own damn business and attend to their damn job rather than being pretentious little twits dictating their insignificant little opinions. There used to be a time where people had enough respect for others to not presume to tell others what to do.
If you were my customer and talked to my employee like that, I'd tell you that we will not bag a gallon jug in a plastic bag. First of all, there is no need, second is that those bags usually suck and you can't trust them. And to call the manager in the first place. Pathetic if you ask me.

Last edited by Capt. Cave Man; 03-22-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
If you were my customer and talked to my employee like that, I'd tell you that we will not bag a gallon jug in a plastic bag. First of all, there is no need, second is that those bags usually suck and you can't trust them. And to call the manager in the first place. Pathetic if you ask me.
Talked to the employee like that? The employee is the one that began the confrontation. They did not bag it, I asked for it to be bagged nicely (even said please) and they refused while they then continued to dictate to me their personal political ideology.

It is not their place, their job, or their business to do so and yet here you are defending them stepping out of line. If you would have showed up and contested me as such, I would have had your district head on the phone where you would be explaining to them how dictating your individual political ideologies are that above the focus of the business itself.

Quote:
First of all, there is no need, second is that those bags usually suck and you can't trust them.
As for this, that is your subjective opinion and one that is ignorant to why I ask for them to be bagged in the first place. Your arrogant attention to your opinion is the problem here as you dictate it like a fascist to those you choose.

If your business does this as a policy, then let your business do so as a public stance to which they can deal with attention to such a demand from their consumers. This way, we can choose not to shop at stores that hold such policies (and I avoid those with the common decency to at least be upfront about their policies). If your business does not, then you as a clerk, as a manager, or an employee of your business should serve the interests of the business above that of your individual interests.

Frankly, if you were my employee, just the arrogance and your complete disregard for the purpose of the business would get your fired on the spot. Your attitude is what costs businesses money as the petty individual disregards company policy to push their own arrogant opinions.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
most or all of what it says in the post, but these are very much personal choices that you can't force on people.

something as simple as bringing your own mug to the coffee place... You can do it, and they charge you a lot less, but very few do it. Same thing with bringing your own bags (although the incentive is a lot lower). Using your own bottle to fill water, instead of buying Dasani, etc.

i think everyone who can should grow their own vegetables and compost.

I could do that, but honestly, I don't feel like washing a coffee mug out. It is easier for me to take another cup, and another cup, and another cup......................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living