Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:42 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Have you tried the solar motion detector lights? My brother & sisters has a couple and seem to like them. I haven't bought any...yet.
No we haven't. I though about them for our shed which has no wiring. The shed has it's own built in alarm system. It's a steel shed and it makes a loud noise as you open it and if you hit the side, we can hear it in the bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I have designed and worked with lighting systems with automatic controls. It is now required by some jurisdictions. Bathrooms: good application. Offices: maybe. Corridors: no. It looks ridiculous to enter a corridor with minimal lightning, then it illuminates as you enter.
I work at a hospital built in the 1960s. We're going through a MAJOR renovation and these automatic motion switches are being installed in places like store rooms, medicine rooms, floor kitchens, and offices. Our hallways, patient rooms, and many other areas still work on traditional light switches. I'd been fighting for motion switches for hallways and certain other areas but the nurses don't want them and most of administration is made up of former nurses. By fire regulations, we cannot use motion sensor switches in our emergency stairs (we have 7 stairs). As for our home, we can't. We live in a mobile home and our interior walls are too thin for these type of switches. Instead we have LED night lights which allow my wife and I to see in the bathroom, hallway, kitchen, and living room without having to turn on lights. Only my father-in-law has to turn on these lights. Last thing my wife and I want is to step out of a dark bedroom and have a bright light turn on.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramirez2012 View Post
I like dusk to dawn lights. Even if you didn't want them on all night, you can simply hook it up to a timer so that it shuts off after a certain time, but mine runs from dusk to dawn.
We had a dusk till dawn adaptor. Our exterior lights are open to the elements. Using the adaptor means no glass light cover. The rain eventually destroyed the adaptor. We hoped the dusk till dawn adaptor would have worked longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living