Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM

167 posts, read 553,899 times

Advertisements

Am wondering which cities people consider environmentally friendly/green? I always hear about Portland but wondering what other cities are considered so and some examples of what the residents/cities do to keep their city "green?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,049 times
Arcata and Davis, CA, I believe have had green ambitions for a long time. Though I don't know much about it, I hear San Francisco is making strides, supporting residential composting efforts, strong focus on recycling, and so on. Maybe someone else who knows more about what's happening in SF might chime in.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:45 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,569,365 times
New York is de facto green, Chicago has a huge green roof program under Daley, Seattle, Minneapolis.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,909,519 times
A lot of midsize Western/Rocky Mountain cities are becoming Green havens and promoting green construction in a big way---like Boise, Boulder, and Salt Lake. I know that Boise has one of the highest rated Green office towers in the nation, The Banner Bank Building.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,505,599 times
Good to know of the cities that have been proactive.

It's a struggle in Atlanta but there are those who are concerned.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:32 PM

675 posts, read 2,100,388 times
Pittsburgh has the second largest number of Green buildings in America. It is surprising to most people, but the green movement is going strong here.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
Austin, Texas, is very environmentally friendly and has been for quite some time. Lots of programs encouraging green building and sustainable development, new urbanism developments going in around Austin, rebates for everything from low flow toilets to rainwater harvesting, to name just a few examples.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,484,904 times
I'm not sure where my city stands ?

We have saved a large amount of land in the city (largest city parks system in the US), so you can be in the city and quickly get to preserved land to kyack, swim, hike, etc.

We have very clean air and water, in fact we were just named #3 cleanest city by Forbes and air quality was a major factor. We had a thread about it here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...-cleanest.html

We do have a good recycling program. The city makes it very easy - just put all your recycling in one bin at the curb, the cost is included in our property taxes.

We do have organized, concerned citizens, I'm just not sure that we have enough concerned citizens. Right now, we are fighting what seems to be an uphill battle to save our local river - The Saint Johns - from being pilfered of its' water to serve the citizens of Central Florida (who must have their green grass, don't ya know! ). The Saint Johns is one of 14 nationally designated Heritage Rivers in the US. Our local Riverkeepers are suing the Saint Johns River Management District to try and stop the action.

At times, it feels like the "behind the times" Southern city outsiders view it as .

Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,382,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerita View Post
Am wondering which cities people consider environmentally friendly/green? I always hear about Portland but wondering what other cities are considered so and some examples of what the residents/cities do to keep their city "green?"
Believe it or not NYC has one of the best plans moving forward for going green. I think UN voted their plan the best in the world (if I remember right). LA also has a great plan moving forward

Green LA

Plan NYC

A lot of cities in America know that we don't have long for oil to become so high that cost for goods are going to be to high for most Americans. So they are coming up with initiatives. In fact Chicago has urban farming initiatives because they know, we can no longer afford to have food trucked in from extreme distances. I am in the process of moving right now and my criteria for a future city is it MUST have a comprehensive plan moving forward.

also check this out

urban gardening in NYC
link

Old 03-21-2008, 08:28 PM

28 posts, read 84,579 times
NOT GREEN: Dallas, TX where I currently live.

GREEN: My home, Seattle. Recycling is now a law!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living