Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

i saw an article about these and found them intriguing, am thinking about getting one. apparently they came about after a man who studies wood pyrolysis and wood-gas applications visited africa, where they were using so much wood for smoky cooking fires that there were severe problems with desertification and poor air quality. here is a bit about how they work.

Quote:
Dual Stage Combustion

The WoodGas stove effectively burns the fuel twice.

In the first stage, combustion air is driven into the fuel to create some smoke (or wood-gas). This occurs in the gasification zone of the above diagram.

In the second stage, more combustion air is driven into the chamber to burn the gas from the first stage. This occurs in the combustion zone of the above diagram.

The electric fan provides the combustion air in just the right amounts to produce the gas and burn it completely.

Benefits:

•High Efficiency - very little wood produces lots of heat.
•Low Smoke -
•Campfire Smell almost completely eliminated.
•Hot flame - cooks food quickly.
there are other manufacturers besides this one, and a number of youtube videos for this and competing models.
has anyone had any experience with these, for camping or backyard use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
I have not used the rocket stove but am familiar with the principle. Many EPA certified Wood fireplaces that do not use a catilytic (sp) converter use the same principal of reburning and it works well. We have one, and it is amazing to see the gasses being burned at the roof of the firebox, with a nice blue flame. If I had the need I would not hesitate.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
If you wanted to go all out they have boilers:

Wood Gasification boilers - heaters from Alternate Heating Systems

Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I have not used the rocket stove but am familiar with the principle. Many EPA certified Wood fireplaces that do not use a catilytic (sp) converter use the same principal of reburning and it works well. We have one, and it is amazing to see the gasses being burned at the roof of the firebox, with a nice blue flame. If I had the need I would not hesitate.
hmm, i didn't realize that the non-cat stoves worked on that same principle. in my area the old smoke dragons are still permitted but eventually that is probably going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you wanted to go all out they have boilers:

Wood Gasification boilers - heaters from Alternate Heating Systems
oh how i would love to have a wood gun or a garn - that's what got me started looking for some kind of smaller version. one of these days i am determined to have one, but in the meantime i would love to check out a working model...

how much are they asking for a wood gun these days, do you know?

Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

how much are they asking for a wood gun these days, do you know?
Wouldn't know, their coal boilers are about 7 to 9K depending on whether it has ASME stamp. I'd imagine the wood units are going to be in a similar price range. You'd have to check your local code to see if you need stamp in non commercial residential dwelling, it varies by state. There is no difference between the units other than the stamp and the $2K.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Wouldn't know, their coal boilers are about 7 to 9K depending on whether it has ASME stamp. I'd imagine the wood units are going to be in a similar price range. You'd have to check your local code to see if you need stamp in non commercial residential dwelling, it varies by state. There is no difference between the units other than the stamp and the $2K.
that price is about what i figured. as small as my current house is, it probably doesn't make much sense to have one just yet, regardless of how much i'd like to have one

Old 12-02-2011, 11:03 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The old two barrel wood stoves worked on this principal. Wood cooked in the lower firebox and the off gas burned in the top barrel. You could buy kits with the holders, doors, grates and controls and add your own steel barrels. That saved shipping costs.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The old two barrel wood stoves worked on this principal. Wood cooked in the lower firebox and the off gas burned in the top barrel. You could buy kits with the holders, doors, grates and controls and add your own steel barrels. That saved shipping costs.
are you sure that's what actually happens?

i think it's simply to give more opportunity for heat to radiate off the smoke/exhaust gases before it exits. kind of like a masonry fireplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living