Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times

Advertisements

It's time for another led bulb topic
Times change and by now many bright led's in all colors are offered.

What is your experience with them?
What brand can you recommend to replace a 40 - 75 Watt bulb?

Home Depot or Lowes have lots of different brands and shapes of led bulbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:47 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
The only LED's I've purchased to so far are retrofit lamps for recessed fixtures. They're made by Cree and sold at Home Depot under the EcoSmart label. They are fantastic, but still pricey.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:54 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I think I will wait for the price to come down. $25 or more, for one 60 watt equivalent bulb, sounds a little pricy to me.

I am still getting used to the CFL bulbs and not happy that many do not last the length of time they claim on their package. I stopped buying CFL’s in bulk packages and I save the sales receipts. I return the ones to the store that only last a short time. When I would buy the packages of six or eight; the stores would want all of the bulbs in the package back when returned them. It was too much trouble to find the six or eight bulbs for the refund. It just got me angry that they claimed the bulb will last for six years and I got six weeks!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I think I will wait for the price to come down. $25 or more, for one 60 watt equivalent bulb, sounds a little pricy to me.

I am still getting used to the CFL bulbs and not happy that many do not last the length of time they claim on their package. I stopped buying CFL’s in bulk packages and I save the sales receipts. I return the ones to the store that only last a short time. When I would buy the packages of six or eight; the stores would want all of the bulbs in the package back when returned them. It was too much trouble to find the six or eight bulbs for the refund. It just got me angry that they claimed the bulb will last for six years and I got six weeks!
What was the brand?
Often the bulbs last far less if they are turned off and on all the time.
Do you have a hazardous recycling dropoff to take the failed bulbs in your town?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What was the brand?
Often the bulbs last far less if they are turned off and on all the time.
Do you have a hazardous recycling dropoff to take the failed bulbs in your town?
By purchasing the bulbs one at a time and saving the sales receipt and package; I simply return them to the store and get a new bulb. I don’t have to worry about disposal. I don’t even think that we have a “safe” disposal site around my area - other than our county has a yearly drive for hazmats.

The bulbs that were burning out were GE. I have had several that lasted only months. Maybe they were dropped in shipping? I really don’t know why they did not last. Especially; since they proclaim they are good for five years. We have had recent power outages within the last year. There is also a chance that we had a power surge that hurt the bulbs?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Fisheye,
I've done the same thing, for about 10 years. Though, I've had luck with returning a single cfl from a multi-pack. My experience is that CFLs have a high - 30-40% - rate of not meeting the minimum expected life. Retailers hate me, as I can be a pitb when a product significantly underperforms.

Not moving to LEDs for awhile.
Quote:
By purchasing the bulbs one at a time and saving the sales receipt and package; I simply return them to the store and get a new bulb. I don’t have to worry about disposal. I don’t even think that we have a “safe” disposal site around my area - other than our county has a yearly drive for hazmats.

The bulbs that were burning out were GE. I have had several that lasted only months. Maybe they were dropped in shipping? I really don’t know why they did not last. Especially; since they proclaim they are good for five years. We have had recent power outages within the last year. There is also a chance that we had a power surge that hurt the bulbs?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
I am guessing you have an electrical issue. I have used CFL's for years and never had one burn out, even in ceiling cans.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I am guessing you have an electrical issue. I have used CFL's for years and never had one burn out, even in ceiling cans.
I have checked the polarity and voltage in every outlet. The bulbs that fail do not fail in the same outlets all the time. I did mention that we have had a few power outages in recent years. There could easily have been a power surge. However; none of the bulbs failed immediately after power was restored - they could have been damaged and failed at a latter date.

Saving a sales receipt and the packages does rectify the problem with bulbs that don’t last. At least this way I will get the full five years out of the bulbs.

PS If I paid $25 for a LED bulb; I would be sure to save the package and the receipt!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
Quote:
PS If I paid $25 for a LED bulb; I would be sure to save the package and the receipt!
Good idea, I only have installed one LED but didn't think about it.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Good idea, I only have installed one LED but didn't think about it.
I should clarify my remark on saving the package. First; save your receipt as I stated. Then; I usually buy replacement bulbs to have around when I need them. I simply take the bad bulb and return it in the replacement package. It isn’t like I have hoarded tons of empty boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living